running out of ideas

Reaction score
I got up yesterday, well rested with nothing planned all day other than getting the Phantom in the air.

Fourteen hours later, nothing had changed; I was STILL trying to get it in the air...heck I was still trying to actually get the props to turn,even once.

I've installed and re-installed the drivers, I have the latest version of the Assistant software, I'm almost certain I have tried every possible combination of switch positions on the transmitter.

Regardless of what I try, when I take it outside, turn on the transmitter first, then power up the Phantom, I get several red then green flashes, and then it begins to flash rapidly in yellow.

I waited a couple of times for upwards of 10 minutes to see if the flashing yellow would change to something else, go out, etc.
Nothing....nada....

I'm using a laptop with Windows 7 on it for the update computer, and at one point during my "journey" yesterday, I found a reference to a file that may or may not be present on a Windows 7 computer. I downloaded that; still no difference.

I'm not going to suggest I'm a computer "expert" by any means. That said, I have enough knowledge to usually get files, drivers, etc. downloaded, transferred to the right spot, uploaded, etc. I'm a Mac user currently, and have been for a few years. I also am very familiar with Windows, having used it daily from the very early days of computing, so I don't "think" I'm messing up that side of things, but at this point anything is possible.

What I'd like to do is "turn back the clock"...undo what I've done, restore everything back to the way it came out of the box, and start again from that point...that is unless one of you can suggest what I'm doing wrong.

I don't want to tie up Board resources unnecessarily so if it's easier or better to talk through this on private messages, that would be ideal. If there is anyone in Regina, SK Canadaa, or the surrounding area, I'd love to talk with you.

Thank you VERY much in advance!

Wayne

Ok, it sounds like you're not paired to the transmitter. Do you have any connection to the NAZA software? Have you recently updated the phantom? Post more info, please. If you need faster service than the forum, let me know and I can put you in contact with my support staff.

Re-pairing the Phantom and the transmitter is about the only thing I haven't done. I was seriously considering it, but when I look inside the battery door and turn the transmitter on and off, I get a red LED somewhere on the Board inside the Phantom going on and off in sequence with the controller.

I do not get any action on the Assistant software from the controller when I move the sticks, though. I should be able to see stick movement in the software, right? Assuming the Phantom is hooked up to the computer and getting power, which it was.

Do you think I should take the shell apart on the Phantom and re-pair it to the transmitter?

If you get a red LED when the TX is turned on, that means it isn't paired. Do you have to press skip when you start the NAZA software? Check under Basic > RC, and make sure the receiver type is set to PPM or DBUS. Have you updated the firmware recently?

I love this! Fourteen hours of messing with it and scouring the web for information that isn't in any documentation with the quad, and in three posts I've gotten way more information! Yes, I have to press "skip" with the Naza software, and the transmitter light is red when I turn it on.

What's the significance of pressing "skip" with the software? I'm guessing that if I take the shell off the Phantom and re-pair it with the transmitter, I may be good to go?

I did as the instructions indicated when I first booted the software and upgraded the firmware. Does that "un-pair" the two?

Hi, not sure if this helps, but it sounds just like a problem a few of us have had. New phantoms must be set to d-bus, otherwise they will just sit there and flash yellow. Also, check in the battery compartment because in the newer models you can access the rx button from inside that compartment rather than removing the shell.

See this post for more
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=2718&start=10

Good luck.

Nazag

WReimer said:
I love this! Fourteen hours of messing with it and scouring the web for information that isn't in any documentation with the quad, and in three posts I've gotten way more information! Yes, I have to press "skip" with the Naza software, and the transmitter light is red when I turn it on.

What's the significance of pressing "skip" with the software? I'm guessing that if I take the shell off the Phantom and re-pair it with the transmitter, I may be good to go?

I did as the instructions indicated when I first booted the software and upgraded the firmware. Does that "un-pair" the two?

i don't believe it!!!! I FINALLY got the Phantom calibrated, connected to GPS with enough satellites to function, and got the motors spinning.

It's now dark, and I didn't want to take the chance of having props on it, if it actually decided to work ( turns out that was prudent)

One last question; I have one of the newer transmitters with the throttle stick spring loaded. when it's released, it goes to mid stick, which I understand is enough for it to hover if it's already in flight. However, when I initially got the motors to turn, they were running fairly slowly...at least to my ear. I lowered the stick to the bottom, then returned to mid-stick, and the speed of the motors increased normally. When I took them up to full throttle, the sounded like they were actually slowing instead of increasing...is that normal? I should point out that I wasn't moving the right stick at the time..I do understand that because of the fixed pitch rotors, lateral movement and directional control are accomplished by slowing and increasing specific rotors speeds.

Lastly, THANK YOU ALL for helping this old guy ponder through this seemingly insurmountable problem. Changing it from PPM to DBus was the "tipping point"...everything seemed to fall in place from there. a quick compass calibration and everything was good

WReimer said:
i don't believe it!!!! I FINALLY got the Phantom calibrated, connected to GPS with enough satellites to function, and got the motors spinning.

It's now dark, and I didn't want to take the chance of having props on it, if it actually decided to work ( turns out that was prudent)

One last question; I have one of the newer transmitters with the throttle stick spring loaded. when it's released, it goes to mid stick, which I understand is enough for it to hover if it's already in flight. However, when I initially got the motors to turn, they were running fairly slowly...at least to my ear. I lowered the stick to the bottom, then returned to mid-stick, and the speed of the motors increased normally. When I took them up to full throttle, the sounded like they were actually slowing instead of increasing...is that normal? I should point out that I wasn't moving the right stick at the time..I do understand that because of the fixed pitch rotors, lateral movement and directional control are accomplished by slowing and increasing specific rotors speeds.

Lastly, THANK YOU ALL for helping this old guy ponder through this seemingly insurmountable problem. Changing it from PPM to DBus was the "tipping point"...everything seemed to fall in place from there. a quick compass calibration and everything was good

All normal. It's an auto takeoff thing. I don't like it much, but it works ok. Just take care when taking off that you don't tip too far forward or backwards etc, particularly when heavy. once in the air everything is normal. I love the self centring throttle though. I got used to that very quickly and have changed my other controller to the same.

Well done and getting in the air ...

I DID IT!!! I got the Phantom in the air for it's first flight, less than an hour ago. I am
VERY pleased to say that I got it airborne with zero difficulty, despite there being a 15-20kmh wind today
(MUCH better than the 60kmh wind yesterday...no, I didn't even think of trying to fly in that)

I am frankly AMAZED at how well it flies. I also have a Gaui 500 that in the 18 months or so I've owned it, has
less flight time on it than the Phantom does. I had a VERY consistent pattern with the Gaui; take off, climb cautiously
to 50 or 60 feet, initiate a turn, bank, forward flight, etc. and then the Gaui would hurl itself at great velocity into the nearest tree, building or the ground. Spend 3 weeks waiting for parts, rebuild and repeat.

The Phantom went through two full batteries, climbing, descending, turning, fast forward flight, etc. all without ANY drama. Most significant: NO CRASHES!! I landed and took off perhaps a dozen times...I am REALLY Stoked!! BTW, I flew with my GoPro onboard; my rationale being I wanted to be familiar right out of the gate with the added weight. I was only taking photos, but man, is it ever cool to have evidence of flight, instead of blurry photos of the latest Gaui crash.

Without your advice, it would still be sitting on my work bench...Thank You all VERY much! This is going to be SO cool!

It's really great to see that you are getting so much enjoyment from your Phantom.
It is a very good feeling when you have it scudding around under CONTROL
Well done and keep having fun

j

I have to echo your excitement. I've had my Phantom for only 2 weeks now and out of all my R/C flying (ancient history, long story) of planes and heli's I think these quadcopters are the most fun. I fly mine low and close-in (I have 1.2 acres and fly in my back yard) and it is a hoot.

Thanks to the Phantom I've managed to recover about 50% of my flying skills after a 22 year hiatus. I had ~40 minutes of actual flight time in 5 flights yesterday alone. Today the wind is predicted to be even lower (was 8 - 10 mph with gusts to 18 yesterday) and I'm stoked to cram as much stick time in as possible this morning (Sunday) and tomorrow morning before heading off to work.

The Phantom is really a gem. In GPS Atti mode it is a chip shot to take off and land from our round resin picnic table. I just swap out the battery for fresh and I'm airborne again. Fly one and charge two at the same time. :cool:

After I get my Jumper 600 built and successfully flown, I can definitely see FPV in my future. This hobby can REALLY cause you to go through some cash, so be prepared to pay for all that excitement!!! :oops:

PF

This could have been written by me. I sent my none flying Phantom back to B&H camera. They said it works fine and sent it back to me. I can't get this thing to take off. The motors test fine but I can't get them all to get up and fly. Running out of ideas 2

There is no way that anyone at B & H tested your Phantom. They're in the heart of NYC, and, frankly, they have a "don't give a ****" attitude about everything except your cash. At MOST they turned it on and saw that it powered up. They have no clue after that (no pilots at B & H) just a giant retail outlet for electronics, cameras, binoculars and telescopes.

Don't look to them for help. Double check everything. Prop spin direction, and NAZAM Assistant. If it truly cannot be made to work, and everything is set up correctly tell them STRONGLY you want your money back and buy from another source, like a legit hobby store.

PF

I have been buying from B&H for many years and have always had the best service from them. You're right, they aren't a hobby shop but no hobby shop around here carries the phantom. I'm not pleased with DJI Phantom for sending out product that doesn't work. I believe they are growing faster than they can keep up. I want this quadcopter to work.

RidesWithChuck said:
This could have been written by me. I sent my none flying Phantom back to B&H camera. They said it works fine and sent it back to me. I can't get this thing to take off. The motors test fine but I can't get them all to get up and fly. Running out of ideas 2

Take a video of your Phantom starting from the time that you get a GPS lock. Make sure that the video shows the top of the shell and the front of the Phantom in clear detail. Start up your Phantom and go to full throttle. I want to see what happens.

miskatonic said:
RidesWithChuck said:

Take a video of your Phantom starting from the time that you get a GPS lock. Make sure that the video shows the top of the shell and the front of the Phantom in clear detail. Start up your Phantom and go to full throttle. I want to see what happens.
Interesting. Tomorrow I'll do this.

If you do that, throttle up carefully. If your props are not properly set up, (which is the only thing I can think of) then you can expect a flip. Stand back 10 feet or more to be safe.

PF

Whatever you do, DO NOT 'throttle up carefully'. You can mess around with revving while the craft is on the ground but DO NOT expect a smooth TAKE-OFF by incremental throttle. Give it 100% power and once its off the ground, say 2 feet, you can cut back.

If you don't do this, the craft has a tendency to tip over and you'll damage your props and get discouraged.

Regarding the very first post. The NAZA assistant is designed to be a diagnostic. You MUST be able to move the sliders with your transmitter (assuming its ON and your are connected via USB to the computer). If not something is wrong. The manual is a little on the spare side but if you read and follow everything carefully, things should generally work.

I'm outside, I'm doing compass calibration. When I flip the switch from gps to at1 10 times, the light on the Phantom goes to steady yellow. Does this confirm that all communication from the transmitter to the copter are working? Also in the DJI Phantom training videos, Colin sets the throttle to it lowest position. My throttle springs back to the middle position. What gives?

You have a v.1.1.1 Phantom. That's how the transmitter is supplied. Nothing is wrong. Read the manual and observe your Phantom's LED signals each and every time you power up. You will soon learn what is "normal" in the pattern, and what is not. It takes about 20 times/flights if you are old and slow to learn like me to know when the power-up is successful and normal and you are good to fly! You kids should get it in 1/3 that time. :lol:

Sounds like you are making real progress. If you are new to R/C, just try for a little hover time, and a bit of out and back and left and right for the first few flights. Practice your take-offs, short hops forward and back, and left and right with the LED facing you pretty much at all times to keep your orientation. When you see the initial battery low signal, start practicing landings, take-offs and repeat until the second level battery warning. Land, charge, repeat.

Within 20 flights I bet you'll be doing figure 8's and having a blast! Work hard at staying in control at all times and having the Phantom do what YOU want it to do. If you get confused, park the Phantom in a hover, rotate till the green LED is facing you, compose yourself, and then fly in the direction you need/want to go. That will speed your learning 10 fold.

The Phantom is an amazing machine. I'm shocked at its capabilities. Once you sort it all out, you will really have fun with it.

Best,

PF

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
BoguSlav