Rules regarding use of Active Track feature

Reaction score
New to the forum here, so not sure where to post this.

When using the active track feature, say in a mountain bike, in an open area free from people and buildings and trees, is it ok to do so if you are on the bike and remote in your pocket and active track tracking you?

Is this allows or by law illegal?

It depends....

What set of rules/guidelines are you flying under? Under Part 107 NEGATIVE! Under Part 336 "sort of".

If you're not controlling the aircraft and you're not watching the aircraft how can you fulfill the See & Avoid aspect of aviation?

Now in all reality, the risk is minimal at best but if you're looking for the pure "Law of the land" I don't see how you could comply and do the things you mention.

Would I do this? Most likely YES if the situation were to arise and I could minimize the risk I would do it under Part 336 but you could not do this as Part 107 operation. My 2 cents and I'm NOT an aviation attorney. :)

It depends....

What set of rules/guidelines are you flying under? Under Part 107 NEGATIVE! Under Part 336 "sort of".

If you're not controlling the aircraft and you're not watching the aircraft how can you fulfill the See & Avoid aspect of aviation?

Now in all reality, the risk is minimal at best but if you're looking for the pure "Law of the land" I don't see how you could comply and do the things you mention.

Would I do this? Most likely YES if the situation were to arise and I could minimize the risk I would do it under Part 336 but you could not do this as Part 107 operation. My 2 cents and I'm NOT an aviation attorney. :)

Thanks for the reply, I’m not located in the USA but a British overseas island and governed by UK law, we have to apply to a company called ASSI in the UK for commercial operations and it last for a year. As for hobbyist flights we don’t have to.
We just had a airport commissioned and UAVs are new to the island of st Helena, so rules and guidelines are new to it all.
But I was just curious if it was basically slows as the department in government on island has made a statement in the st Helena airport website stating active track or follow me feature is not to be used. See attached image
IMG_1186.jpg

You might have included the regulations with your first post to aid people in responding. What I find interesting is that the max allowed altitude outside restricted airspace is defined as 120m while a minimum required altitude above crowds is said to be 150m. It would seem autonomous follow/track flight modes are specifically prohibited. Who is the issuing authority for these requirements? What are the prescribed penalties for non compliance?

Reactions: BigAl07
You might have included the regulations with your first post to aid people in responding. What I find interesting is that the max allowed altitude outside restricted airspace is defined as 120m while a minimum required altitude above crowds is said to be 150m. It would seem autonomous follow/track flight modes are specifically prohibited. Who is the issuing authority for these requirements? What are the prescribed penalties for non compliance?

Yes maybe I should have done that sorry. We have to abide by rules set out by ASSI UK - Air Safety Support International | Air Safety Support International

Reactions: BigAl07

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4