Rules regarding flying over mountains in the US

Reaction score
I want to fly my drone over the mountains near where I live, but I'm not sure if the FAA regulations regarding altitude measure altitude from the mountain base or peak. Does anyone know the answer?

due think it is peak not base all depends where you take off from

The altitude limit is a guideline, not regulation, and it is AGL - above ground level. It refers to the altitude of the aircraft above the ground directly beneath it, not its altitude in relation to the base or the peak of a mountain, or the takeoff point, or anything else.

The altitude limit is a guideline, not regulation, and it is AGL - above ground level. It refers to the altitude of the aircraft above the ground directly beneath it, not its altitude in relation to the base or the peak of a mountain, or the takeoff point, or anything else.
So if I launched at the top of a mountain I could go 500 ft above that point?

So if I launched at the top of a mountain I could go 500 ft above that point?
If you are wanting to comply with FAA recommendations, you could go 400 feet above any mountain.
I want to fly my drone over the mountains near where I live, but I'm not sure if the FAA regulations regarding altitude measure altitude from the mountain base or peak. Does anyone know the answer?
Here's what the FAA recommends:
Recreational Users | Know Before You Fly

due think it is peak not base all depends where you take off from
It's all about how high your Phantom is above the ground below it.
In this illustration you could launch from the top or bottom of the hill and be flying in the same spot.
It's not going to be breaking the rules flying from the bottom, but all legal if you launch from the top.
Where you take off doesn't have any bearing.
i-r8PzgJk-L.jpg

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj