RTH Setting question

Reaction score
I'm getting confused reading all the threads on RTH settings. I live in the Mountains so obviously high elevations with tall trees. My concern is how high should I set the RTH altitude? I keep reading very different opinions on this. My biggest concern is hitting trees on the RTH. Also does it return on the exact pattern it flew or a more direct route to the home point. I apologize for the newbie questions. I'm trying to search/read before asking but there are soooo many opinions. ~Many Thanks Andrea

I'm getting confused reading all the threads on RTH settings. I live in the Mountains so obviously high elevations with tall trees. My concern is how high should I set the RTH altitude? I keep reading very different opinions on this. My biggest concern is hitting trees on the RTH. Also does it return on the exact pattern it flew or a more direct route to the home point.
There is only one answer: Set your RTH so that it will clear any obstacles between where you are flying and home.
The RTH will be relative to your launch point so you may have to factor terrain and trees and add a safety margin.
Unless you have the new P4pro, your Phantom will take the straight line path to come home so it is important that the RTH height will clear anything that may be in the way.

Reactions: ICULookin and Pharm
I fully agree with Meta4. I also live in the mountains up at 8,000' in the Rocky Mountains and after a lot of scares I set my RTH to 400'. After a treetop took my P4 out when leaving on a photo flight I'm setting my enroute altitudes to a minimum of 300' above my takeoff altitude unless I can actually see my P4.

Sent from my VS995 using PhantomPilots mobile app

Reactions: ICULookin
Leaving a safety margin for height is a great idea. As barometric pressure is used to measure height it will vary a few feet from day to day.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

A problem with setting the RTH high is that if you happen to be flying low when the low battery RTH kicks in a lot of juice is used to get up to hight and there may not be enough left to get back home.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj