RTH only works once per flight

Reaction score
Yesterday I did a test, I flew my P2V up until I lost connection with the RC, and a RTH was initiated. the unit came home and at about 20M away I switch S1 to from GPS (top) to ATTI (center) then back to top position and regained control. continued my flight, until the battery was about 25%, the unit was only about 10ft off the ground and about 20ft away and just let it hoover. I was expecting the RTh to kick in on low battery but it did not, instead I could hear the rotors getting weak and tit came to the ground pretty fast and the rotors turned off. I got no RTH sign on my iphone.

this kinds worrys me, if I interrupt a RTH, then lose control the RTH will not kick in again. can anyone confirm?

This is the second thread you've started on this topic. Maybe bump your existing thread, rather than starting a new one.

I can't say I've ever experienced this, no. But it seems like you can confirm it yourself... at least as far as how your Phantom behaves, which is all that's really important.
And if, indeed, it behaves as you described, I guess you'll be watching your battery level more closely as you fly.

I do apologize for starting a new thread. my RTH on low battery is on and does work, however if an RTH has already been done during a flight, it will not work.

the low battery RTH does not concern me as much as a loss of connection RTH, I will need to test this. just trying to come up with a good test. I suppose I can hold the copter in flight and turn off the RC after a previous RTH to test.

Do you have RTH on a switch? If so, use that to see if it works. You can flip it as many times as you need while testing.

I am a newbee, I am not sure if I have it on a switch. I am running my P2V in default config. how could I find out?

mtsoule said:
I do apologize for starting a new thread. my RTH on low battery is on and does work, however if an RTH has already been done during a flight, it will not work.

the low battery RTH does not concern me as much as a loss of connection RTH, I will need to test this. just trying to come up with a good test. I suppose I can hold the copter in flight and turn off the RC after a previous RTH to test.

I do know for a fact that standard RTH works more than once... at least on my P2V, running 3.0.6. While testing a few different things several weeks ago, I manually activated RTH several times during the same flight, and each time it executed it's RTH sequence, and then I would switch to regain control and fly some more. No problem. So I wouldn't worry about that, if I were you (or... like we said... test it yourself).

What I'm less sure of is whether an occurrence of the standard RTH somehow disables the low-battery RTH (what you are describing)... as I'm typically unwilling to fly my Phantom down to the low-battery warning anyway.

I agree, I don't usually either but being new, I want to fully understand everything about it. How do I manually trigger an Rth? Other than turning off the controller

mtsoule said:
I agree, I don't usually either but being new, I want to fully understand everything about it. How do I manually trigger an Rth? Other than turning off the controller

Turning off the Tx is the easy way to do it (that's the way I do it), but you can also use the Phantom Assistant software to configure the "down" position of the S1 (right) switch to trigger a Failsafe.

mtsoule said:

Other than purposefully flying out of range :) switching off the RC is the only other way if you're in default "Phantom" mode.

IF you wanted to, you could hook your Phantom up to your computer, and use the Assistant utility to switch your controller over to "NAZA" mode, which then would allow you to assign manual RTH to the lowest position of Switch 1 (right-most toggle switch). You can find a bit more about that by reading this great blog post
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

But that's up to you.

ProfessorStein said:
Other than purposefully flying out of range :) switching off the RC is the only other way if you're in default "Phantom" mode.

IF you wanted to, you could hook your Phantom up to your computer, and use the Assistant utility to switch your controller over to "NAZA" mode, which then would allow you to assign manual RTH to the lowest position of Switch 1 (right-most toggle switch). You can find a bit more about that by reading this great blog post
http://www.pattayadays.com/2014/03/naza ... -2-vision/

But that's up to you.

ooone second mate - Phantom Mode does indeed support making S1 (right) toggle trigger FailSafe/RTH... you don't HAVE to be in Naza Mode just to utilize that feature.

as you say it does require modifying the setting via Phantom Assistant. Notice at the top I'm in Phantom Mode (it's an old screen cap.. I run Naza mode now)
RC-failsafe.jpg

/the more you know :)

Doh!
Thanks QYV. You're right. IOC is what you can't get unless you switch to NAZA. My bad.

BlackTracer... download the Phantom drivers from the DJI download page for your platform, then download the Phantom Assistant utility. Install and launch the Assistant, then connect the Phantom to your computer via a MicroUSB cable. Click over to the Basic tab, and you'll see what QYV is showing in that screenshot. Follow the arrow to pick "Failsafe" from the dropdown, and then S1 (the right-most toggle switch on your RC) will be set to invoke Return to Home when you flick it down to the bottom-most position.

ProfessorStein said:
Doh!
Thanks QYV. You're right. IOC is what you can't get unless you switch to NAZA. My bad.

BlackTracer... download the Phantom drivers from the DJI download page for your platform, then download the Phantom Assistant utility. Install and launch the Assistant, then connect the Phantom to your computer via a MicroUSB cable. Click over to the Basic tab, and you'll see what QYV is showing in that screenshot. Follow the arrow to pick "Failsafe" from the dropdown, and then S1 (the right-most toggle switch on your RC) will be set to invoke Return to Home when you flick it down to the bottom-most position.
Thanks for the recommendation but I have been running in NAZA mode since March with failsafe on the lower S1 position!

ProfessorStein said:
Sorry... then what "configuration" were you referring to??

lol that's exactly what I thought. I'm going to get back to the original topic of the post - RTH only working once per flight... which of course isn't true it should work repeatedly and I have absolutely used this feature several times during the same flight.

I think I saw him mention that he tried it from nearby and it wasn't working.. perhaps it was "too close" to home point already and thought it was already home? that's a guess but the GPS home-lock isn't like PERFECT... in my experience it frequently will be 2-3 meters off from the actual exact startup location when it comes in to land... which I never let it do. I always toggle S1 and resume control and do my normal catch-landing I've only ever let it land itself on the ground twice, long time ago.

QYV said:
ProfessorStein said:
Sorry... then what "configuration" were you referring to??

lol that's exactly what I thought. I'm going to get back to the original topic of the post - RTH only working once per flight... which of course isn't true it should work repeatedly and I have absolutely used this feature several times during the same flight.

I think I saw him mention that he tried it from nearby and it wasn't working.. perhaps it was "too close" to home point already and thought it was already home? that's a guess but the GPS home-lock isn't like PERFECT... in my experience it frequently will be 2-3 meters off from the actual exact startup location when it comes in to land... which I never let it do. I always toggle S1 and resume control and do my normal catch-landing I've only ever let it land itself on the ground twice, long time ago.

I've never tested it and I don't see why there would be a limit in the number of times per flight.
What would be the designers'/programmers' motivation for adding this?

I may have missed it but when you say have used it several times...

Is that letting it land and then taking off again (i.e. touch and go)?, or just let it return and take over before letting it land?

Just curious, Thanks.

N017RW said:
I may have missed it but when you say have used it several times...

Is that letting it land and then taking off again (i.e. touch and go)?, or just let it return and take over before letting it land?

Just curious, Thanks.

I never let RTH actually touch the ground, I always resume control and either catch it or fly off again. I use the failsafe/ RTH feature kind of like a "come back overhead" or "descend a bit for me" autopilot when I'm feeling lazy or otherwise don't want to manually pilot my Phantom back home.

For example, with our 2m/s descent rate limit if I'm 200+ meters in the air, that's over 3 minutes of pure, boring straight descent just sitting there holding the throttle down. Rather than sit there holding the throttle I'll just flip the S1 switch to Failsafe and let the Phantom descend itself for a bit, then whenever I feel like it I toggle S1 back and resume control.

Same concept applies to distance if I'm way away and just want to bring it home rather than manually do it I'll flip the switch and let the Phantom fly itself back overhead before I resume control.

N017RW said:
I've never tested it and I don't see why there would be a limit in the number of times per flight.
What would be the designers'/programmers' motivation for adding this?

Again... there doesn't seem to be any limit to the number of times per flight that standard RTH can occur (or be triggered).

It seems as though what the OP experienced is that once the low-battery warning occurred and triggered that special instance of RTH, it somehow deactivated the RTH feature for the remainder of the flight.

I doubt very much that the programmers intended this... guessing that, if true, it's likely a bug. Like after that first low-battery warning occurs and RTH is initiated, a flag is thrown that says "if RTH is activated again (incorrectly pre-supposing that it will be activated by the second low-battery warning), execute an auto-land rather than a full RTH".

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31