RTH not working after latest controller update

Reaction score
Hello all,

During several flights today (after installing the latest controller update this morning) pressing RTH caused the bird to descend directly down from its position rather than fly at all toward the home point.

Recalibration of the compass and IMU between flights did not correct the behavior.

Has anyone else experienced this?

Hello all,

During several flights today (after installing the latest controller update this morning) pressing RTH caused the bird to descend directly down from its position rather than fly at all toward the home point.

Recalibration of the compass and IMU between flights did not correct the behavior.

Has anyone else experienced this?

How far away from your home point was the Phantom? I know it won’t work well unless your a little ways (20ft+) away. Just a random thought.

Excellent thought.

4 flights. Distance at RTH command ranged from 300’ to 1 mile.

As you can imagine. When it started to drop straight down being a mile away, my heart rate went up a bit.

Thankfully, I was able to cancel RTH and fly back safely.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
What version of FW did you load? Just wondering if there is yet another new one...

Hmmm it was a minor controller update. I don’t recall the number. It must have come out in the last 5 days though.

Ah. Ok. I’ll hold off then... My last one was during the Pano feature implementation. Few weeks I believe.. Good luck. Curious to see other experiences.

That sounds odd. Did you use the button on the controller or something on the screen?
Could you have pushed the autoland screen button by mistake? (they are very close)

The first thing to do would be to check the flight data to see if that explains anything.
Go to DJI Flight Log Viewer
Follow the instructions there to upload your flight record from your phone or tablet.
Come back and post a link to the report it provides.

Reactions: lickitysplit11111
An update caused errors?? Wow.......

Agreed, but My investment won't be a part of the fraction. All functions of my 4 Phantoms running 1.10.90 function just fine. As far as I'm concerned there are no needed coding improvements that they require. I no longer see the update nagging DJI sends and am quite comfortable with that. Some operators feel the need to update and are free to do so, but I've seen in the world of electronics the downside to it. Reading release notes is always the best bet if they reveal all of the update improvements. But DJI hasn't improved on the P3 A or P3P as far as I've seen. No improvements needed from what I see.

After doing an update I recommend double checking all of your app settings while connected to the bird.

I’m going through settings of course. I will likely not have time to upload flight logs.

My initial question was intended to determine if anyone else had experienced similar issues as part of my troubleshooting effort.

To answer earlier questions I used both software and controller RTH on separate flights and saw the same performance.

If I can’t resolve this, I’ll do another short flight and if the problem persists, I’ll upload flight data as requested

So far it seems like mine is the only issue noted, so it may not be due to the firmware update. I flagged that because it was the only thing that changed between RTH working and not.

Thanks all.

Reactions: AndrewCCM
Always verify all of your settings after an update, especially the RTH and signal-lost settings. It's probably also smart to fly it out a short distance and test the RTH before you start longer flights with your new firmware. The latest update on my Mavic caused the RTH command to do absolutely nothing, and I had to downgrade.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers