RTH issues

Reaction score
So for the very first time this past weekend I decided to let the RTH feature run it's course. I have tried it multiple times before, but always took control when the P4 was roughly 10' or so from touchdown.

This time I wanted to see if I could trust it fully, and unfortunately I can't.

Everything was going perfect up until about 3' from touchdown when my P4 quickly started moving sideways right toward a building roughly 10' away.

Luckily I was ready to take control and prevented what would have surely been a bad ending to a good fly day.

Everything has been updated including IMU, Compass, new firmware, etc..

Any clues to what may have caused this?

It sure doesn't give me much confidence if that time comes where I truly need to rely on it..:coldsweat:

Any clues to what may have caused this?
Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Check out your TXT flight log to see if it explains what happened. You can upload and view it online here. If you'd like other people to review and comment on your flight log, then please post a link back here after you upload it.

Thank's, I'm working on it as I text.

Waiting for all my logs to upload to HD..

No problem. Please make sure you upload your log to the link above (and not to HD).

Just a guess at this point. When it reached 3' off the ground, that building (and other nearby objects) might have blocked some of the needed sky for satellites and knocked you into ATTI during the last few seconds, losing GPS and causing it to be confused. Good lesson for all of us to never be complacent, even during RTH.

Everything was going perfect up until about 3' from touchdown when my P4 quickly started moving sideways right toward a building roughly 10' away.
What was the surface you were about to land on ... steel or reinforced concrete?
What obstacles were nearby?

You really want a clear area for an RTH landing.
Go and practice out in the open, well away from anything that might interfere and see how it goes.

Also remember if you want the latest Precision Landing RTH feature to work you need to rise vertically at least 6m on takeoff.

Reactions: JMR
Just a guess at this point. When it reached 3' off the ground, that building (and other nearby objects) might have blocked some of the needed sky for satellites and knocked you into ATTI during the last few seconds, losing GPS and causing it to be confused. Good lesson for all of us to never be complacent, even during RTH.

I think you nailed it!

After looking at the flight log it shows that it did indeed go into Atti mode about 3' from touchdown. It then shows where I quickly switched from P mode to S, and back to P to cancel out the RTH.

The only thing that I can't figure out is why it started moving sideways so quickly as there was very little wind. Especially at that height.

I'll try again, but in a much more open area.

Was your VPS active?

I think you nailed it! The only thing that I can't figure out is why it started moving sideways so quickly as there was very little wind. Especially at that height.

I think the RTH possibly gets momentarily confused as it is suddenly dumped into ATTI mode without GPS to rely on and maybe starts heading in a random direction as a result until one grab the controls. Cant recall if the manual says how it is supposed to react in that situation.

Just a follow up on the RTH issue I had last weekend.

This weekend all went fine in a much more open space..

One question though. When it starts to descend, it gives me a warning at 1m (or is it ft) into it's descent, and then stops until I slide that pop-up warning over to continue descent.

Is there a way to disable that?

One question though. When it starts to descend, it gives me a warning at 1m (or is it ft) into it's descent, and then stops until I slide that pop-up warning over to continue descent.
Is there a way to disable that?
There's no need to let the Phantom autoland at all.
You can cancel RTH at any time and resume control yourself.
Most flyers can choose a landing spot better than RTH can anyway.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj