RTH height (again)

Reaction score
Here's a rehash of an old topic. But after reading many pages on the subject I'm still unclear.

I need the RTH height to be at leaf 100'. 20 meters isn't going to clear any of the trees around here.

Scenario: I take off straight up and reset home to a position 200' directly above me. I lose control at 30' behind some trees 1000' away. RTH is invoked. Won't the PV2+ just go up to 20 meters and then fly a course that has increasing height back to the new 200' home point? That would still make it crash into the 80' trees near it.

I really need to be able to set the RTH height above the current limit. Anybody? Thanks

probably, i've seen a few vids on youtube that say if you get lost put your left stick up and send the phantom high enough to clear everything around you ( use the on screen telemetry ) and then turn the tranny off to bring it home. on one of the vids ( it had trees in it ) the guy said if the phantom is higher than its return to home height it will stay at the higher height rather than drop to the preset return to home height of 50 feet.

disclaimer here is that i have not tested this out personally. hit youtube and search DJI phantom 2 vision plus and have a look, i think it mentions review in the title??

**Make sure you have good GPS, launch and climb STRAIGHT UP ABOVE YOUR LAUNCH POSITION to desired minimum altitude.

**While hovering above Home Point at desired minimum altitude, reset your Home Point via S2.

***If in Phantom mode (or NAZA mode with IOC disabled), toggle S2 from pos. 1-3 FIVE times. Rear lights will flash rapid greed indicating successful reset.

***If in NAZA mode with IOC enabled, toggle S2 from pos. 2-3 FIVE times. Rear lights will flash rapid green indicating successful reset.

**You can test your new Home Position altitude setting immediately by triggering Failsafe right where you are hovering. Your aircraft should climb 20m ABOVE your current altitude, pause, and begin to descend.

skulltronix said:
I need the RTH height to be at leaf 100'. 20 meters isn't going to clear any of the trees around here.
Scenario: I take off straight up and reset home to a position 200' directly above me. I lose control at 30' behind some trees 1000' away. RTH is invoked. Won't the PV2+ just go up to 20 meters and then fly a course that has increasing height back to the new 200' home point? That would still make it crash into the 80' trees near it.
RTH height is not configurable as far as I have been able to determine. However If you are above 20m, it will maintain the higher altitude for the trip home, and land. In your case though, you absolutely want to avoid dipping behind the trees. Because they will be in the way to get home. Tree foliage will kill the 5.8 GHz control link in a second, especially if the aircraft is any distance away. Always maintain a clear line of site to the aircraft even if you cannot actually see it, or it will be gone. The 5.8 GHz control link has virtually no tolerance for any objects in the path.

I find that RTH height cannot be changed by doing a home reset on my V+. The horizontal home will change but not the vertical home which remains at that set at initial power-up. I'm running firmware 3.04. Anyone else have this issue in 3.04? Thanks.

On a flight today, I reset my home after climbing to 80ft (above the highest tree). I stayed at that height for the entire flight until I lost control. Phantom went RTH mode. It climbed to 150ft, turned toward home, and came back.

Edit: firmware 3.04

I am pretty sure that when you reset home point you are also resetting altitude that RTH will reference for its altitudes. This does not reset the altitude you see displayed on your app.

Okay, that probably explains it. Will reset home at altitude and then do a RTH to verify the additional climb. Thanks for posting.

Dirty Bird said:
**Make sure you have good GPS, launch and climb STRAIGHT UP ABOVE YOUR LAUNCH POSITION to desired minimum altitude.

**While hovering above Home Point at desired minimum altitude, reset your Home Point via S2.

***If in Phantom mode (or NAZA mode with IOC disabled), toggle S2 from pos. 1-3 FIVE times. Rear lights will flash rapid greed indicating successful reset.

***If in NAZA mode with IOC enabled, toggle S2 from pos. 2-3 FIVE times. Rear lights will flash rapid green indicating successful reset.

**You can test your new Home Position altitude setting immediately by triggering Failsafe right where you are hovering. Your aircraft should climb 20m ABOVE your current altitude, pause, and begin to descend.

I tested this this evening before a surveying flight above a large cluster of tall trees. I flew up to 15m or so and logged a new home point (rapid flashing green lights). I triggered failsafe from where it was and it DID NOT ascend 20m as expected, but came straight down from there. I was in phantom mode (not NAZA GPS), does this make a difference?

As a second test I few away a distance and up to 30m and triggered failsafe and it remained at that height on its return journey before descending.

I intend to change to NAZA mode asap anyway as when I was mid-flight beyond a distance where I could see its orientation my phone (Nexus 5) decided to restart itself, losing FPV! After a bit of back-and-forth I brought it home safe - definitely enabling home lock after that!

Is the home point reset +20m feature only available in NAZA mode?

It should work in either mode, but my Phantom has been in NAZA mode the entire time I have owned her. She never flew in Phantom mode. We'll need to get some feedback from others flying in Phantom mode. This is the first time I've heard it reported that it does not work in Phantom mode.

$.25 I just bought my PV2+ a week ago. I flew it over to show my neighbor (on the other side of pine trees) and it went into "Return to Home" mode. Once it hit the pine tree, it went into a rapid descent! Since then, I've been trying to find a way to add distance to the RTH 20 M setting.

[youtube]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XlMU2DDIOYQ[/youtube]

If I reset the home position to 100 feet, will the RTH mode land at 0 feet or will it shut the motors off at 100 feet? I'm a little naïve and don't know what shuts the motors off. I hope the ground will, but I don't want to try it out in the wrong.

Thanks!

scottro said:
If I reset the home position to 100 feet, will the RTH mode land at 0 feet or will it shut the motors off at 100 feet? I'm a little naïve and don't know what shuts the motors off. I hope the ground will, but I don't want to try it out in the wrong.

The motors will NOT shut off at 100'. She will return to the ground safely. How did your Phantom fare in the crash?

Thanks for the reply, that will save me some worrying. How about if you're descending and pulled down on the throttle only, will the motor stop?

As far as the crash, I was scared that it would have broken the gimbal. But no damage, except my pride!

I hit my RTH all the time while at 400-500 ft in the air. It always holds its current altitude when returning home. Just be sure (if you are going to hit your control distance limit) that you are flying above any obstacle and you will be good

Dirty Bird said:
It should work in either mode, but my Phantom has been in NAZA mode the entire time I have owned her. She never flew in Phantom mode. We'll need to get some feedback from others flying in Phantom mode. This is the first time I've heard it reported that it does not work in Phantom mode.

I'll test in NAZA when I return from holidays in a weeks time and let you folks know.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4