RTH goes straight down...

Reaction score
Hey Guys, just took out my P3P out for its first flight.. After a few flights, I checked the RTH feature and each time I pressed the button on the controller it activated it and it just went STRAIGHT down where ever it was. Didnt come anywhere near where it took off from. Tried it on the Pilot app same thing.. So If I was over water today this thing would of went straight down into the water.. Am I missing anything? I am all up to date with firmware and had 12 sat's .. Any help would be appreciated.. Other than this issue all went well.

#2 issue, I was using a Nexus 7 Tab and the telemetry Hgt dist etc was all wacked out..When I landed it said I was 53 feet high.. Switched over to my iphone all was fine.. Is this a known issue with Android's?

When RTH is initialized, your Phantom will land at its current position if it's not more than 20m from the home point. That is documented in the Phantom manual.

Last edited:
#1 = Not exactly sure what the distance is, but if its within 20'25-30?? of HP it will land.
Were you in that range? You can also cancel RTH and take over landing.

I was at 80' high and 50' away from where I took off from. When I hit RTH it didnt go any higher and just landed where I hit the button! No where near where it took off from.

That makes sense. 20m is 65ft.
I watched a few you tube videos and when they hit the RTH button it goes up then comes back to very close where it took off from, mine is far away from me and when I hit the RTH button it just comes straight down no matter where the Phantom is.. Doesnt go up any higher either..

where should I set my RTH height too? I didnt set that.. It is at the default setting..All the videos I watch the Phantom goes high then comes back to where it took off from! Like I said when ever I push RTH it just goes straight down no where near I landed.. Like I see in the videos.

Your Phantom must be further than 65ft away from the home point.

If you are less than 20M from the home point, it will just land where it is. If I can find the reference, I'll post it.

Reactions: keith slagle
Your Phantom must be further than 65ft away from the home point.
I may have been closer.. Thank you! I will set the height limit now and take it off beginner mode and see what happens ! I will report back later! THANK YOU to ALL of you for your GREAT replies!

Outside. Make sure there is nothing metallic around when you do it. That includes things like phones, watches, and anything else on your person.

Outside. Make sure there is nothing metallic around when you do it. That includes things like phones, watches, and anything else on your person.
Got it! Heading out now to try it all again and do the compass calibration! Thank you again for all yoru help!!!!

Hi, all. I knew about the "20m" rule and RTH, but my question is, "why?" I'm curious why RTH is programmed that way.

OK, Thank you to EVERYONE for all your help today! Just got back home and RTH worked perfect! Almost on the mark where it took off! Did the compass Calibration that went well too! Thumbs up to all of you on this forum ! This is what makes this GREAT! All of you guys! Thanks again!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic