RTH Feature

Reaction score
Can anyone help? The RTH feature on the P3 does not have the same behaviour as the P2 or am I missing something? Let me explain, if the RTH feature is initialised via the Pilot App or From the RC it works as expected, goes to predefined altitude and comes home, however upon doing some tests it does not follow this procedure. I have done two tests, first test was power down the RC mid flight. Instead of the bird flying to predefined altitude it came back at the same altitude it was flying at the time the RC was powered down, this could be a problem if your fly low and the RC goes down? The second test was running the battery down to 20%, RTH engaged but didn't go to predefined altitude before coming home. Are there any parameters to change this, or is this the functionality of the new P3?

Can anyone help? The RTH feature on the P3 does not have the same behaviour as the P2 or am I missing something? Let me explain, if the RTH feature is initialised via the Pilot App or From the RC it works as expected, goes to predefined altitude and comes home, however upon doing some tests it does not follow this procedure. I have done two tests, first test was power down the RC mid flight. Instead of the bird flying to predefined altitude it came back at the same altitude it was flying at the time the RC was powered down, this could be a problem if your fly low and the RC goes down? The second test was running the battery down to 20%, RTH engaged but didn't go to predefined altitude before coming home. Are there any parameters to change this, or is this the functionality of the new P3?
Hi Andrew, the RTH height can be set in the Pilot app. What was your altitude when you initiated RTH during each test? And what is your current RTH altitude set to in the app?

i think you have to reset the altitude every time you fly as mine resets to zero height every time i start the app. i havent tested to see if it works incase i crash it :)

Also, the default critical battery level is set at 20%. Once this threshold is hit, the Phantom will immediately land where it is (not RTH), although the user still has control to guide it to a safe landing spot.

What happened when the battery hit the warning level (I believe default is 35%)?

i think you have to reset the altitude every time you fly as mine resets to zero height every time i start the app. i havent tested to see if it works incase i crash it :)

I thought the last value you input into the app was actually saved on the Phantom, not in the app. I thought I heard the app was just displaying the wrong/no value mistakenly.

I thought the last value you input into the app was actually saved on the Phantom, not in the app. I thought I heard the app was just displaying the wrong/no value mistakenly.
i hope you are right about that it really worries me incase it flies back too low and crashes into something i keep hoping there will be an update soon

**** that's concerning about the battery critical level! What happens if bird is over water
Yea, you need to be careful with flying over water when the battery is getting critically low. However, you still have control to move it to shore. You can also keep the Phantom hovering if you throttle up, but keep in mind that it will only hover, not rise in altitude.

Going to do some more test later, only got got battery so 20 mins not long time for meaningful analysis. The question on the 35% battery level is interesting as it didn't engage RTH when it reached this threshold?

Going to do some more test later, only got got battery so 20 mins not long time for meaningful analysis. The question on the 35% battery level is interesting as it didn't engage RTH when it reached this threshold?
That is interesting. Once it hits the Warning threshold, you should get a popup window in the Pilot app stating that it will go home in 10 seconds. You can cancel this action if you choose, but either way, you should've still seen the window. How far away was the Phantom?

I think this is correct. Mine says zero but It does in fact go to the right upwards distance before returning. I've lost contact and viewed the video later at the contact lost portion. It did increase in elevation prior to returning. It was subtle, based upon what the altitude was, but I did see it.

I think this is correct. Mine says zero but It does in fact go to the right upwards distance before returning. I've lost contact and viewed the video later at the contact lost portion. It did increase in elevation prior to returning. It was subtle, based upon what the altitude was, but I did see it.
The correct value is stored bird side, regardless of the app stating 0. Confirmed as well.

I tested this yesterday, first the RTH altitude is saved in the P3, the app will show zero until the P3 is turned on then it will change to your set height. I set my low battery warning from 30% to 25% and my critical from 20% to 15%, same as I had on the P2. As the battery bar graph tells you where the current level is and at what level you need to head back (this is dynamic) there should not be an issue, unless you just don't look at it. On low battery I got a warning to land or head back to home point due to low battery, after 10 seconds it heads back automatically, but you can cancel by pressing the RTH button.. When I got to critical battery the P3 just started to land from where it is and you only have limited control. The P3 will only climb to your set RTH altitude in the failsafe RTH mode, presumablyly to conserve battery power in the low battery situations. Makes sense as if you are at 30' with a critically low battery you don't want it climbing to 100' and wasting that power.

Try f6 rider, I done some testing and this is spot on what u say! I am more clear now so thanks for your feedback!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj