RTH Failsafe

Reaction score
This is not a whining post or a nearly lost post, just a question if this is a default failsafe.

Background story:
So i went out and had a training flight with my drone where in doing the exercises in the dji flying guide and to get more confident.

Now i just got a argtek antenna mod , not that i think its the reason for what follows.
I also wanted to push the battery to see just how long it will keep yhe bird in the air (ie when the warning came on i kept it low about 2m or under but not hovering was doing manual circles around me as POI).
Any way due to the sun and the way the wind was blowing it put the drone between me and the sun when i went up 100m and out 100m, ( i have that set as my max distance as ill not need it to go further and the Argtek upgrade is mainly to try for good solid signal) anyway do to the sun i moved myself and where i was flying so i wasnt trying to find my drone with yhe sun in my eyes.

But i never changed/reset a new RTH point. My new spot also due to a building it was a sports club house was about 25meters from original.

So i am flying the low bat warning went off. I brought the drone fown to 2m/ish and about 5m away from me.

So i get the voice warning the drone was going to RTH in 10 seconds that was with about 15-20% battery life. So i started my landing which would have only taken about 5 seconds it was about 30cm from the ground then the drone went into RTH mode and climed to 30m and desided to head to original RTH point and NO MATTER what i did the drone would not come out of RTH mode, i toggled the switches = didnt work.. i tried the app = didnt work.
Thankfully it landed safely and did not fall from the sky, and battery was left with 12%.

So has anyone else had this?
Like i said this is not a whining post just a passing on a experiance that maybe someone else has had and can dhed some light if this is a fail safe or just a weird situation i was in and just lucky all went well.......this time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app

The fact that it automatically initiated RTH in your situation is normal, but I don't think it's normal that it did not respond to your RTH cancel requests. Just today my drone went into RTH after losing signal (almost 700m) and it went into RTH mode and I successfully cancelled it 3 times, twice to try and get more distance, and the 3rd as it was landing at my home location, where I manually landed it abit further up. Weird

This is not a whining post or a nearly lost post, just a question if this is a default failsafe.

Background story:
So i went out and had a training flight with my drone where in doing the exercises in the dji flying guide and to get more confident.

Now i just got a argtek antenna mod , not that i think its the reason for what follows.
I also wanted to push the battery to see just how long it will keep yhe bird in the air (ie when the warning came on i kept it low about 2m or under but not hovering was doing manual circles around me as POI).
Any way due to the sun and the way the wind was blowing it put the drone between me and the sun when i went up 100m and out 100m, ( i have that set as my max distance as ill not need it to go further and the Argtek upgrade is mainly to try for good solid signal) anyway do to the sun i moved myself and where i was flying so i wasnt trying to find my drone with yhe sun in my eyes.

But i never changed/reset a new RTH point. My new spot also due to a building it was a sports club house was about 25meters from original.

So i am flying the low bat warning went off. I brought the drone fown to 2m/ish and about 5m away from me.

So i get the voice warning the drone was going to RTH in 10 seconds that was with about 15-20% battery life. So i started my landing which would have only taken about 5 seconds it was about 30cm from the ground then the drone went into RTH mode and climed to 30m and desided to head to original RTH point and NO MATTER what i did the drone would not come out of RTH mode, i toggled the switches = didnt work.. i tried the app = didnt work.
Thankfully it landed safely and did not fall from the sky, and battery was left with 12%.

So has anyone else had this?
Like i said this is not a whining post just a passing on a experiance that maybe someone else has had and can dhed some light if this is a fail safe or just a weird situation i was in and just lucky all went well.......this time.

Sent from my SM-G900I using PhantomPilots mobile app
First thing I'd ask, did you cancel the 10 seconds warning? Sounds like you waited for it to start the RTH before trying to cancel it. The 10 second message can be canceled with a slide button, which you should had done before continuing to land. Next you said you were trying to cancel the RTH after it had stated, how were you trying to do that?

So was this a critical low battery landing, or a smart RTH? If your know the difference. I didn't even bother looking at your link you posted. Been here too long and have flown enough to know how they work, there's no bug or defect, your just missing something.

First thing I'd ask, did you cancel the 10 seconds warning? Sounds like you waited for it to start the RTH before trying to cancel it. The 10 second message can be canceled with a slide button, which you should had done before continuing to land. Next you said you were trying to cancel the RTH after it had stated, how were you trying to do that?

Hi no i didn't cancel or try to at first, being that i was so closet the ground and thought that id be on the ground before 10 seconds time frame was reached, (guess landing takes more power).
so my first attempt to cancel was moving the switch. then i went to the app, but neither of them worked anyway.
heres another person had the same but this one was using Autopilot, which could be his problem.
( Autopilot app - cancel return to home (RTH) )

its not a big deal im not complaining.

So was this a critical low battery landing, or a smart RTH? If your know the difference.
yeah critical low battery as after landing it was 12% which is good it did it, i just freaked as i knew battery was low and worried when it went up to RTH hight then back to RTH point and i couldn't cancel.

"I'm just a noob, in a drone flying world"

lol still got heaps more to learn.......

Looking for other threads of people having what you think is some issue, it's not. There's many people out there that don't have a clue what their doing, and start threads trying to find fault, when it's just their lack of knowledge on the Phantom and the app and how it works.

Last edited:
yeah critical low battery as after landing it was 12% which is good it did it, i just freaked as i knew battery was low and worried when it went up to RTH hight then back to RTH point and i couldn't cancel.

"I'm just a noob, in a drone flying world"

lol still got heaps more to learn.......
There are three battery warnings you need to understand. Two of them you personal set in the app, the first and the last. The one in the middle is the Smart RTH that the software sets, that sounds like the one in this case. It's the one with the 10 sec. delay.

Last edited:
Stop looking for other threads of people having what you think is some issue, it's not. There's many people out there that don't have a clue what their doing, and start threads trying to find fault, when it's just their lack of knowledge on the Phantom and the app and how it works.

Um excuse me? did you not bother to read my initial post? i did not state i had a problem with this........so maybe you should go read it again.
and what is wrong with doing some research? other wise your comment "when it's just their lack of knowledge on the Phantom and the app and how it works"....Hmm dont know how ppl are to expand their knowledge when they find some thing simmilar and you condemn them for it.........
and to be honest not being able to cancel RTH is a issue if you are unaware that it has a failsafe (as stated in my OP) on critical low battery........as so far i haven't found any official document from DJI stating it. so please share it if you know of its location, other wise ill google to find out the answers the same or similar...is that ok with you?

There are three battery warnings you need to understand. Two of them you personal set in the app, the first and the last. The one in the middle is the Smart RTH that the software sets, that sounds like the one in this case. It's one one with the 10 sec. delay.
Um excuse me? did you not bother to read my initial post? i did not state i had a problem with this........so maybe you should go read it again.
and what is wrong with doing some research? other wise your comment "when it's just their lack of knowledge on the Phantom and the app and how it works"....Hmm dont know how ppl are to expand their knowledge when they find some thing simmilar and you condemn them for it.........
and to be honest not being able to cancel RTH is a issue if you are unaware that it has a failsafe (as stated in my OP) on critical low battery........as so far i haven't found any official document from DJI stating it. so please share it if you know of its location, other wise ill google to find out the answers the same or similar...is that ok with you?
I was just trying to help you understand that there are three very different types of low battery warning and how the system reacts to each on very differently. But if you think the Google and YouTube are a better source of info have at it. This time of year when so many new drones hit the market and people that never had one and don't take the time to learn, post many very misleading info on the internet, including the drone forums. Personal knowledge via one on one is better in my view, but it reading other posts and threads is more helpful in your leaning, I'm done trying to be helpful.

Reactions: DAD-DY
There are three battery warnings you need to understand. Two of them you personal set in the app, the first and the last. The one in the middle is the Smart RTH that the software sets, that sounds like the one in this case. It's one one with the 10 sec. delay.
yep, except from what i have read on DJI at critically low battery the drone is supposed to land where it is so a RTH should not have happened.( but i didn't know either)
i agree with you one on one would be great but dont seem to be any P3 other than mine in my town nearest i know is 70km away so im left to reading internet and posts and official documents.

Sorry if i was a bit short on reply as i had stated i was doing the dji flying guide so i just assumed ppl would see that i was doing my due diligence in learning and that i was only going 100m up and out well with in eye sight and safety that i was being responsible not being a "people that never had one and don't take the time to learn" as you put it.....but its all good. thanks for reading.

She landed as designed as battery was already in critical range.

The RTH is only RTH when battery has enough left above the critical setting you have in Go app. Less than that and it will land where it is.

Second if it is within 20m of home position - it will land where it is as well.

If you really want to push battery to max - then you need to alter parameters of battery / RTH in Go app to avoid low battery initiating failsafe actions and allow you to manually land out etc.

Nigel

That's what I was starting to tell you. It sounds like the Smart RTH, the software the drone keeps track of is what you were having. The critically low battery, would have just landed the drone right at that spot. That one is set by the user, and I have mine set at 10% because for the very limited control you'll have at that point. Since you didn't cancel the 10 sec. warning, the hardware switch (S1) doesn't cancel it right away. It going to go to the preset height first, then if it had a ways to fly to get back to the home point the S1 switch should cancel it.

Reactions: RodPad
If you have battery enough left above critical - you only need to move sticks in fact to adjust landing / flight on RTH.

I do this all the time. Use RTH and then when close - I use sticks to land where I want ... no need to cancel RTH.

Nigel

So in regards to battery , Low Battery Warning as set by user, is just a warning? Critical battery warning it sets down in place; and RTH ( other than tx signal loss or user initiation) is when aircraft senses just enough charge left to get home?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj