RTH Altitude

Reaction score
Can you set the return point to be a certain height? In a RTH situation I would like the bird to hover at my predetermined set altitude after it returns, then I can retake control to land. I saw a YouTube video of a guy trying the RTH function and the bird landed quite hard, in my opinion, and almost tipped.

No but you can take control at any point.
So set RTH at the height you want, when it's almost overhead cancel, then you can land gentle/hand catch as you wish.

You can set an RTH height but when it gets back to the home point you will need to manually cancel RTH to regain control to land it yourself. Also remember that when setting RTH or max height limits, it's done in meters even if you've chosen imperial as your method of measurement in the app settings. Strange but true.

Reactions: Designer
Thanks again guys. Now I know it can't be done. Can the landing speed be adjusted in the RTH. Like stated in post above the bird seemed to come in hot. In the YouTube video the bird landed on short grass, if it landed on a hard surface I think it would have bounced!

I have been flying and landing on hard surfaces for over a year now. As the saying goes practice is the key. I have only tipped a couple of times and was due to me try to make a last second adjust. I have no issues with taking of or landing on any surface.

Hand catch landing? Am I right in thinking the phantoms props can remove digits?

You can lose a finger eating if your hungry enough!!

HANDLAND! Hey look, it even rhymes!

Landing the bird is not an issue for me or probably anyone, hand catching is better cause it doesn't kick up dirt and debris possibly harming the motors. If u lose a digit or 2 its so worth it to save the bird.

Reactions: B- Scene Films
You can set an RTH height but when it gets back to the home point you will need to manually cancel RTH to regain control to land it yourself. Also remember that when setting RTH or max height limits, it's done in meters even if you've chosen imperial as your method of measurement in the app settings. Strange but true.
Wait. RTH is in meters regardless? Mine is set to 150 feet (I thought) If that was the case and it was really 150 meters then that would be approx 450 feet?? (which it is not) Or would it be 50 meters which would be approx equivalent to 150 feet. Can you verify? Thanks.

Wait. RTH is in meters regardless? Mine is set to 150 feet (I thought) If that was the case and it was really 150 meters then that would be approx 450 feet?? (which it is not) Or would it be 50 meters which would be approx equivalent to 150 feet. Can you verify? Thanks.

Just take a look at the units in the RTH settings box. I do believe it says "m".

I think if hover and then set your home point, it should fly to and hover at that home point when RTH is triggered..

may not remove didgets but it could spoil your weekend real quick.
let it land all the way safer that way

I think if hover and then set your home point, it should fly to and hover at that home point when RTH is triggered..
I believe you are confusing two operations. When RTH is triggered the bird returns to a spot over the Home setting and then lands! When a Waypoint flight is set up the bird will return to whatever you set as an end point and then hover awaiting instructions.

IMHO, everyone should try to get comfortable with hand catching your Phantom, even if you need a glove. It sounds like some are afraid, and that's OK if it can't be overcome. However that puts you at other risk of damage or possible loss of the craft in certain scenarios. At some point you'll need to catch the bird, so practicing this in a controlled area helps for flight options when they are needed.

Scenarios where hand catch can be helpful, assuming you're comfortable with it:
1. In a park when unleashed dogs appear that want to chase your craft.:confused:
2. Going through the forest or desert on a trail, capturing a hike, motorcycle, or dunebuggy trip, but at the end of the the battery life there is not a nice flat place to land.
3. At the beach, where you don't want to land in the sand.
4. On a boat, where it's easy to take off, but not so easy to land.:cool:
5. If little kids appear in the area to watch you fly. Sometimes I don't trust them to keep back when landing. Some kids just don't listen.:mad:

Is hand catching dangerous? Yes it can be if not practiced, but there's only slight risk if practiced regularly. You have to use common sense. If you are afraid to try, then don't do it. But if you can master the technique, your flying options increase.

I find flying options very helpful to increase my flight locations. Backpacks increase flight location options. Mountain bikes increase flight options, Electric bikes increase flight options even more. And for those that would love to own an Inspire, you don't have all those options with that craft, it's simply too big ..... although I want one anyway for other reasons.

Last edited:
Not an answer to your question, but I do agree with the hard landing. I'm new at this and was playing around with the various features. RTH landed so hard it bounced !.....that won't be done again.

My hand catching has become much more enjoyable since I started reaching for the landing gear from below instead of from above. :-0

When you get really good at hand catching, you'll start executing a CSC at about 10 feet and just let it fall into your hands. Joe cool. [emoji41]

Reactions: JoeyJoe

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20