RTH after landing?

Reaction score
After a flight I land the Drone and let it sit at low idle one to cool off and two to bring the battery level to a 10 or 8%. When the battery reaches RTH level i get the message will the drone take-back off and execute RTH?

Sent from my SM-G900V using PhantomPilots mobile app

After a flight I land the Drone and let it sit at low idle one to cool off and two to bring the battery level to a 10 or 8%. When the battery reaches RTH level i get the message will the drone take-back off and execute RTH?

It depends where you landed! If you landed within 20m of your home point - then no, it won't take off again - but if you landed further away from home than 20m - then yes it will take off and try to return home!

I found this out during my first week of ownership - accidentally. I had taken off from the park across the street from my house - but then after flying around for 10 minutes, I landed it manually in my backyard. After landing, I turned off the RC and walked back home but when I got to the backyard where I had landed - there was no sign of the drone! After a few minutes of panicking, I walked back over to the park and found it waiting for me in the spot I had originally taken off from. Apparently shutting off the RC had triggered the "Lost Connection Failsafe" and even though I was already safely on the ground and powered down - the Phantom powered itself back up, took off and "Returned to Home". This was over a year ago with a Phantom 3 Advanced - but unless they've changed the behaviour since then, I'd think that the low battery failsafe would act the same way. However, as long as you land within 20m of the recorded home point, you'll be okay since it will already think it's home.

Reactions: t2adze
It depends where you landed! If you landed within 20m of your home point - then no, it won't take off again - but if you landed further away from home than 20m - then yes it will take off and try to return home!

I found this out during my first week of ownership - accidentally. I had taken off from the park across the street from my house - but then after flying around for 10 minutes, I landed it manually in my backyard. After landing, I turned off the RC and walked back home but when I got to the backyard where I had landed - there was no sign of the drone! After a few minutes of panicking, I walked back over to the park and found it waiting for me in the spot I had originally taken off from. Apparently shutting off the RC had triggered the "Lost Connection Failsafe" and even though I was already safely on the ground and powered down - the Phantom powered itself back up, took off and "Returned to Home". This was over a year ago with a Phantom 3 Advanced - but unless they've changed the behaviour since then, I'd think that the low battery failsafe would act the same way. However, as long as you land within 20m of the recorded home point, you'll be okay since it will already think it's home.
Thx Sir for the info

Tenly's answer is more in detail. Most people land where they take off (or within a few feet) so it might be assumed that you are close to the take off point. I'm also assuming that the motor are still armed/running (in order to drain the battery). So the drone would still think it's flying. If you are not where you took off, you may want to kill the motors and then start them back up in order to relocate your home point.

Reactions: G Lee
After a flight I land the Drone and let it sit at low idle one to cool off and two to bring the battery level to a 10 or 8%.
Don't leave a Phantom idling
There's really no need to run your battery down that low anyway.
If there was, DJI would recommend it in the manual.

It's recommended the drain the battery to low level(about 5-7%, or even 0%) after 20 charges.

Jani
That is no longer the consistent recommendation of DJI. The only purpose it may serve is to recalibrate the % charge level and usable capacity (by monitoring how many Ah is put into the battery when recharging). It won't improve cell reliability or performance.

I've tried landing an idling as I was thinking about buying those pods for water landings and every time I tried to land and idle the bird would start hoping off the ground and wouldn't sit stable...

That is no longer the consistent recommendation of DJI. The only purpose it may serve is to recalibrate the % charge level and usable capacity (by monitoring how many Ah is put into the battery when recharging). It won't improve cell reliability or performance.

Reliability or life is not get better, but performance yes, if you drain it sometimes you get better capacity of course because calibration = longer flight times.

Last edited:
Reliability or life is not get better, but performance yes, if you drain it sometimes you get better capacity of course because calibration = longer flight times.
I doubt it. I look at last reported capacity. If this was below specification (and flight times were reduced) there may be a benefit in draining the battery to shut down voltage. Otherwise all you are doing is placing the cells under stress for no benefit.

It's recommended the drain the battery to low level(about 5-7%, or even 0%) after 20 charges.
As Jani said it is in the manual.
Perhaps it was in the manual once but search the latest versions and it's not there now.
If it was important DJI would recommend it.
If you still want to discharge the battery, the manual tells you how to do that without running the motors.

DJI recommended it on DJI forum. At least it doesen't make bad to discharge to empty sometimes. I checked the voltages. When there is 1% left voltages was 3.47V.

I cannot find how to discharge without motors. Without it takes a long time to discharge. I mean if you turn drone to idle.
If your lucky enough to have a remote that needs charging and your aircraft battery is down around 30% connect the remote and battery to your charger (without the charger being plugged into the power outlet) and turn on the aircraft battery (the same as you would when powering on to fly). The aircraft battery will charge the remote.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic