RTH Accuracy

Reaction score
Performing a RTH brings the bird back but it is consistently 10 - 20 feet off the home point. i can cancel the RTH and manually land but this proves problematic as I have to watch and take control at high altitude to insure I don’t land on a tree by mistake. Recalibrated the IMU and Compass With no change in the results.

Anyone else have accuracy issues?

Its perfectly normal for the P3 to be out as much as 3 meters when autolanding at the home point. GPS is only so accurate. There's nothing wrong with yours. I dont use autolanding as landing manually is softer and smoother.

Performing a RTH brings the bird back but it is consistently 10 - 20 feet off the home point. i can cancel the RTH and manually land but this proves problematic as I have to watch and take control at high altitude to insure I don’t land on a tree by mistake. Recalibrated the IMU and Compass With no change in the results.

Anyone else have accuracy issues?
10-20 ft sometimes is normal but if it is always >10 feet, that's unusual.
GPS should put your drone closer than 10 feet most of the time.

If you use RTH to bring the drone home and land for you, the solution is to make sure that your launch point is in a clear area where a little inaccuracy won't cause a problem.

Reactions: ron-ep
RTH Accuracy also depends on the number of locked satelites at take-off when the homepoint is recorded.
Often this tends to be the bare minimum to be able to take off in P-mode (GPS-mode), waiting a bit longer for more locked sats increases the recorded homepoint accuracy.

Reactions: GWTX
RTH Accuracy also depends on the number of locked satelites at take-off when the homepoint is recorded.
Often this tends to be the bare minimum to be able to take off in P-mode (GPS-mode), waiting a bit longer for more locked sats increases the recorded homepoint accuracy.
Very good point tribar, thanks

since it sets the hp when it feels ready to do it you'd need to reset it by yourself if u waited for more sats amirite?

since it sets the hp when it feels ready to do it you'd need to reset it by yourself if u waited for more sats amirite?
GPS requires a minimum of 4 sats for a 3D fix but DJI won't accept less than 6 sats before the drone goes to P-GPS mode.
If you launch from an open area with a good skyview, you'll usually have more than 6 sats anyway.
Waiting for more will not make the GPS and the recorded home point any more accurate.

Consumer GPS is not as accurate as some people imagine and has a variable inaccuracy.
If you experimented with RTH autoland accuracy, and made 10 tests, your drone could be anywhere within +/- 9 feet every time, never landing in the same place twice.
That's just the nature of GPS, even with the most accurate home point recording.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4