Rotopixel or Dronexpert?

Rotorpixel said:
-Ours can accept a Hero 2/3/3+ with quick-mount adapters that we already have produced
-We mounted the camera very far forward and lower, making it difficult to get props in the frame, even with aggressive flying
-No need to move the compass
-AlexMos gimbal control board which can be used in any gimbal, if you decide to change systems in the future... saving you even more money in the long run
-Camera can be precisely balanced around both the roll and pitch axes, depending on what filter(s) are being used.
-Super easy installation/removal of the camera from the gimbal, and the gimbal from the Phantom.

:)

Keri

Excellent points Keri. So very anxious for the release.

Thanks Keri,

I think I am totally sold on Rotopixel.
All I need now is to see some sample footage and the deal is sealed!

Thanks all for your help and input. This is a good forum. I like how active all the members are.

Pull_Up said:
ResevorDG said:
Thanks guys for all the help (Minus DronePeter of course - People can be wrong w/o name calling)

I love my P2V but I cannot help but wonder if instead of getting a gimbal for it I shouldn't just sell it and get this P2 GoPro set up.
They boast a 3937' (1,200 m) range.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021959-REG/dji_ready_to_fly_phantom_2_aerial.html

Real world is probably less range but still even half that is way more than I have now.

What are your thoughts?

Still not sure I was wrong... Videos from Dronexpert show the binding process for their receiver module for tilt. ;)

Nevertheless you will always get more range from a 2.4GHz control system than a 5.8. What you gain with the Vision package is the all-in-one FPV and data link via the app - and don't forget the allegedly upcoming autonomous waypoint flying via the ground station update.

Swapping out to the GoPro is an attractive plus for the Rotorpixel but you will lose all the FPV and data when you do. If that's something you want all the time then maybe the P2 with extras might be more appropriate.

Tough choice if you are happy with the Vision camera quality. If not then P2 is probably the only way to go.

Did you consider the P2 with the P2V camera?

by adding a gopro to the PV2, wont you loose all the "cool things" about the PV2? Phone video, telemetry, start stop recording, 7th channel movement? Unless they have an adapter that can do all these things? If not, just get a Phantom 2. . .or am I missing something? I will probably get a Rotopixel as well, so I can compare the two....

I love the fact that we will have two companies trying to get our business!

whitelens said:
by adding a gopro to the PV2, wont you loose all the "cool things" about the PV2? Phone video, telemetry, start stop recording, 7th channel movement? Unless they have an adapter that can do all these things? If not, just get a Phantom 2. . .or am I missing something? I will probably get a Rotopixel as well, so I can compare the two....

Im kind of hopeful that we can figure out a way to integrate our repeater system with the go pros wifi and maybe use their app.

whitelens said:

For loosing features with going to GoPro - Short answer, yes you loose that stuff.

Long answer, no, you can get a video down link for the go pros. You also need a dedicated screen to see the video, and you need that thing made by DJI called and iOSD to insert the data onto the scree.

Droneexpert does do 7th channel via a the pot on the back of the remote. (it's the hole above the place where you choose FCC or EU.)
You will loose 7th channel control for a while if you go with Rotopixel but they say they will work on adding that feature in the future after their product launches. (I hope they do, I would love that)

BUT- you don't loose that stuff if you stick with the P2V FC200 that you have now.

True Jason,
Sometimes I do wonder about the FC200 . . . I love the photos it gives me, but the video is lacking quite a bit. .. if Rotopixle can get the FC200 to be balanced with the lens filter, that might be a winner.. . or be able to incorporate a gopro which has much better video qualities (to me) than the FC200.

I do have the Dronexpert, and I really do love it! It has changed all my videos for the better!

Being new to RC UAV's (but not the full size ones) I was looking for a gimbal for my P2V when I stumbled on this, as I am not doing any high end photography with the copter I will stick with FC200, especially now that it has PS RAW support and a lens correction profile. I looked at the Dronexpert but am finding it hard to justify another $600+ for this 'Hobby'. The Rotopixel seems more like what I want, and I am sure the 7th ch support is coming. I don't like the Wi-Fi range but as a HAM Radio operator for many many years I am designing and testing a 360º wi-fi hi-gain antenna that can be mounted on the support bar of the P2V and give at least the full range of the transmitter to the video, ie: 500M. Besides, it keeps me out of trouble when the weather won't let me fly :D

F6Rider said:
I don't like the Wi-Fi range but as a HAM Radio operator for many many years I am designing and testing a 360º wi-fi hi-gain antenna that can be mounted on the support bar of the P2V and give at least the full range of the transmitter to the video, ie: 500M.

I have been working my HAM recently. Glad you are here.

I would bet if you can get a good kit together and make it plug and play for a reasonable price, people here would eat that up. I know I would.
You could make a few bucks in the process.

ResevorDG said:
Thanks guys for all the help (Minus DronePeter of course - People can be wrong w/o name calling)

I love my P2V but I cannot help but wonder if instead of getting a gimbal for it I shouldn't just sell it and get this P2 GoPro set up.
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1021959-REG/dji_ready_to_fly_phantom_2_aerial.html

Real world is probably less range but still even half that is way more than I have now.

What are your thoughts?

With some simple antenna mods you can fly your p2v to 1km

ResevorDG said:

What are your thoughts?

I believe that every Phantom needs a friend ;) . If financially feasible, keep your Vision, and buy Phantom 2, as well. I have both, and love it! My Phantom 2 is fitted with the Zenmuse gimbal and GoPro 3+ Black edition. Additionally, I fly it with a long Range FPV setup and Futaba controller which allows for much greater control compared to the stock Version. All in all, my Phantom 2 setup allows for exceptional video footage. On the other hand; however, I often enjoy flying, just for the sake of flying; that's where my Vision comes in handy - plus the Vision is great for still shots, and allows me to change camera setting while airborne.

On other thing - check out DSLRPRos.com. Hey have some stellar Phantom setups - I think with better equipment than B&H.

Good luck!

outlaw704 said:
It appears the Rotorpixel isolates airframe vibration by using the stock system connected to the underside of the belly. Since the DroneExpert seems to be mounted to the landing gear, can anyone (owners?) describe how airframe vibes are isolated.

I'd hate to make a significant investment in a really nice gimbal system, only to find that we end up with smooth video, but with significant jello effect.

Anyone know for sure?

Not sure if anyone has answered this, but it isolates vibrations by using the same rubber pads on the underisde of the landing gear, and placing them on top of the skid for the Dronexpert gimbal plate to sit on...Works like a charm. Zero jello.

hi guys. i am thinking of buying a gimbal for my pv2, so i am in the dilemma rotopixel vs dronexpert?

does the dronexpert fit on pv2 with lens filters? it looks like not in the pictures.

djalan said:
hi guys. i am thinking of buying a gimbal for my pv2, so i am in the dilemma rotopixel vs dronexpert?

does the dronexpert fit on pv2 with lens filters? it looks like not in the pictures.

The Dronexpert doesn't work with the lens filters. I think I saw a picture of a slightly modified Dronexpert gimbal that someone got the lens filters to work with though.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4