Rookie question..... Maybe... Google offered no help during crises.

Reaction score
So, I got a P3S for a Christmas gift from my wife as she's noticed my being enamored by aerial photography and videos posted here and YouTube.

I was super shocked, but more excited than anything.

I've been doing tons of research on them, and was excited to dive into the owners manual as I plugged it in.

Last night just before sunset I put it up in the yard, back and forth, making passes getting comfortable with the controls.

I woke up super stoked and wanted to check out some video of my neighborhood, making passes up and down the street as far as beginner mode allowed.

I changed to a 64 GB card, and took it out front, calibrated the compass and was doing a solid preflight checklist, when DJI go advised me I needed a firmware update. So I trekked back in as it was a little nippy out, put it on the coffee table and let it do its thing, it hung up at 48% and all of a sudden, the two center green lights lit solid and the gimbal began to make the more horrendous trill. My phone quickly notified me the update failed and I needed to reset everything.

Upon doing so I tried for a solid 3 hours to update it again, resetting the RC and the copter several times to no avail. No matter what I did the battery would not turn off. The two center green lights stayed lit.

I even went as far as changing the device I was using the app on.

Nothing.

Then it struck me, all I had changed between the evening prior and this morning, besides a charge, was the SD card.

I uninstalled the app, and reinstalled it again, and placed the 8 GB card back in the camera.

Upon reconnecting everything, the gimbals tone changed but still screeched the entire time it updated to be accompanied with an occasional tone from the drone itself.

That being said. If you've made it this far, congratulations, I'm sure it was nearly unbearable.

Nevertheless, what about this card would cause such a failure, or was it coincidence?

I may add, after the firmware updated I went out and made a 6 or 7 minute flight, with absolutely no issues.

Thanks in advance for any input you may offer.

When I put in my 64 gb card, I formatted it using the DJI Go app and never had any issues.

I didn't have the chance before it told me to update firmware. I'll give that a shot later and post results.

Thank you

Generally when you buy an SD card, you need to format it before you use it. You can format it with your desktop, but it's best to format it with your AC. There should be a means on your Go app to format the SD card.

Edit: I meant format the card, not calibrate it. Sorry.

For future reference:

Just because you are informed/ordered to update FW does not mean you must obey. In fact, if you find that your current (recently upgraded) FW is giving you zero headaches I suggest you ignore all future update requests until
- The general consensus is, the new FW is an improvement
- New app(s) wont run without an upgrade.
- You are really getting annoyed with the upgrade warning :)
- I tell you to :(

For future reference:

Just because you are informed/ordered to update FW does not mean you must obey. In fact, if you find that your current (recently upgraded) FW is giving you zero headaches I suggest you ignore all future update requests until
- The general consensus is, the new FW is an improvement
- New app(s) wont run without an upgrade.
- You are really getting annoyed with the upgrade warning :)
- I tell you to :(
Ok, Pretty funny !
But I think I'm the official anti firmware guy.
Fly'it or Fryware'it. (I'm still working on my slogan, it will be copyrighted ;))

Rod

Reactions: BourgeoisSJC
I didn't have the chance before it told me to update firmware. I'll give that a shot later and post results.

Thank you
Welcome to the Forum!
100% on the Formatting the card in the Phantom with the go-app.
Firmware Updates on a Standard, I will never tell somebody to update or not.
But, when I read your first post, I though OH-NO :(
Really glad it is working!

Oh, stay away from trees, the are connected to the ground, they don't move and they usually win at the end. (Still working on this one) ;)

Rod

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31