Rookie mistake??????

Reaction score
I have had my P3 Standard for about 3 weeks and yesterday after flying for about 15 minutes at the beach I landed and shut the controller off first and as I went turn off the P3 it started to take off by itself. The P3 was about 3 feet from the water and all I could think of was it taking off over the lake. I reached out to grab it and managed to make contact and it flipped over on the beach breaking two props and cutting the ends of two of my fingers. I put on some Band-Aids and some new props and the P3 was good as new. I will never turn off the controller first ever again.

I have had my P3 Standard for about 3 weeks and yesterday after flying for about 15 minutes at the beach I landed and shut the controller off first and as I went turn off the P3 it started to take off by itself.
Never leave a Phantom turned on after landing.
There are many reports of them taking off as temperature change affects the barometer and causes the Phantom to think it is flying again.

I would think that once the legs hit ground the Phantom should go into a state of not wanting to spool up until commanded. Even if RB left the rotors turning while landed (protip - don't do that), the UAV should have nestled comfortably with the ground until specifically told to do otherwise.

I can't imagine any other way of programming the thing, although it is early yet.

I suppose it's good to keep your tetanus status current.

It should not happen but there have been some isolated reports if this happening... at least with prior Phantoms. The Phantom is left on and the remote is turned off. The Phantom thinks it's lost controller signal and attempts to jump up to RTH altitude. Again, I don't know if I've ever heard of this happening with the P3s. But regardless... always turn the Phantom off first and then the controller. Also, always turn the controller on before turning the Phantom on.

I had a similar experience. Mine was under a tree when it had low battery and took off. I ran over and caught the top and cut my hands pretty bad. Never again will I keep it on after landing.

Ive had my battery turned on inside the building before while updating firmware and also trying to run the battery down to zero. I guess I need to keep it inside a containment of some kind to prevent accidental starting of the motors. That or remove the props.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj