Rolling Shutter ??

Reaction score
I would love to be able to link a video to describe what i'm asking, but my Internet is so crap it would take hours to upload.

When I take video on my P3P, sometimes I get a flickering of what I can only describe as varying exposures. It's more noticeable in sunny conditions and when the P3 is moving. It doesn't seem to happen in the hover.
I have the exposure set to 50 and am shooting in 25 fps.

Is this what's called rolling shutter ? If so would selecting exposure lock help or maybe try to shoot in manual setting.

Rolling shutter manifests in images many different ways. Most typically the shadow or images of your props will give you the effect. If you have more than two clips on your dampeners of your gimble you may get it from harmonic vibration of your camera. Imbalanced prop could be a cause too.

Here is a good one:

iphone-foto-impossibili.jpg

You'll get what you are talking about when flying towards the sun, shadows from the props go onto the lens. Get a lens hood, filters may help but not flying into the sun with your camera raised up will prevent it.

Rolling shutter is not the flickering you see. rolling shutter has to do with the way the sensor records the image and can be seen when you pan the camera left or right by straight lines, such as light poles, seemingly leaning to the side.
Are you using an nd filter since you shoot at 1/50 shutter speed?

Reactions: ianwood
Rolling shutter is different from prop strobing. It's most commonly referred to as Jello because part of the image looks like it is wiggling.

Prop strobing is influenced by rolling shutter but even a global shutter would have issues with prop strobing. Don't point so close to the sun or build a hood to go over the lens.

Rolling shutter is not the flickering you see. rolling shutter has to do with the way the sensor records the image and can be seen when you pan the camera left or right by straight lines, such as light poles, seemingly leaning to the side.
Are you using an nd filter since you shoot at 1/50 shutter speed?

It actually happens with anything moving in the right direction through the field of view
I would love to be able to link a video to describe what i'm asking, but my Internet is so crap it would take hours to upload.

When I take video on my P3P, sometimes I get a flickering of what I can only describe as varying exposures. It's more noticeable in sunny conditions and when the P3 is moving. It doesn't seem to happen in the hover.
I have the exposure set to 50 and am shooting in 25 fps.

Is this what's called rolling shutter ? If so would selecting exposure lock help or maybe try to shoot in manual setting.

Can you post a sample of what you are seeing?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl