Roll Arm Replacement

Reaction score
I crashed my P3 Standard and wrecked the yaw and roll arms. I have found all kinds of help on YouTube about replacing the yaw arm and ribbon cable. I haven't found anything about the roll arm. I have the parts on order. Has anyone done this or found any instructions? The ring holding the motor cracked. The motor came out but seems to be undamaged. I will need to press it into the new roll arm and would like to know if it is just pressed in, or is it held in with some kind of adhesive. I could also use some instruction on gimbal motor assembly and disassembly. Any help would be greatly appreciated. The crash was a really stupid move on my part. Overconfidence after many successful Litchi missions.
Thanks for all of the great posts on this forum.

Bob

Go back to YouTube and find the one by Bock. It may be for a p3 pro but it is the same procedure. I do these for a living and ca help if u want. The roll arm is pressed in mostly. A little red locktite would not hurt if it is not tight. You should get a plastic tool used to line up the yaw and roll.

Reactions: Bob Langlois
Go back to YouTube and find the one by Bock. It may be for a p3 pro but it is the same procedure. I do these for a living and ca help if u want. The roll arm is pressed in mostly. A little red locktite would not hurt if it is not tight. You should get a plastic tool used to line up the yaw and roll.
Thank you for the reply. The parts that I have on order come with a plastic alignment tool. Strangely, I find myself looking forward the the repair job. Thanks also for the locktite suggestion.

Hi Bob, hope you don't mind if I piggy back on your post.

Ted, have you seen where the original roll/yaw arms have been bent without breaking or cracking?

After I backed my bird into the side of a hill I found it difficult to put the stock gimbal holder on. I always found it a little tricky to attach it (tight), but now it seems even harder (too tight). The camera works fine (other than the horizon is rarely even, from new) but it looks like the roll arm may be slightly bent, and looking at the whole thing with a magnifier I can't see any cracks. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to!

TIA

Hi Bob, hope you don't mind if I piggy back on your post.

Ted, have you seen where the original roll/yaw arms have been bent without breaking or cracking?

After I backed my bird into the side of a hill I found it difficult to put the stock gimbal holder on. I always found it a little tricky to attach it (tight), but now it seems even harder (too tight). The camera works fine (other than the horizon is rarely even, from new) but it looks like the roll arm may be slightly bent, and looking at the whole thing with a magnifier I can't see any cracks. I don't want to take it apart if I don't have to!

TIA
The short answer is yes. However If it works I would leave it alone.

Thank You for your response Ted.

Maybe once winter hits I'll take it apart and see if that roll arm is actually bent :)

Being a Phantom Tech do you know of any tricks (or things to do other than the normal stuff DJI tells everyone) to get the horizon to be even all the time? I personally think the uneven horizon is due to the bird not leveling the camera when there is a slight wind, however I don't have a lot of experience with Quad-copters yet.

Thanks Again...

That is an issue with a lot of cameras Even new ones. I can adjust the roll motor and get rid of it but it is not easy.

Thank you for the reply. The parts that I have on order come with a plastic alignment tool. Strangely, I find myself looking forward the the repair job. Thanks also for the locktite suggestion.
As long as u don't force anything u should be fine. Good luck n let us know

Reactions: Bob Langlois
That is an issue with a lot of cameras Even new ones. I can adjust the roll motor and get rid of it but it is not easy.
Isn't it also sometimes do to out of level camera calibration?

Yes doing an IMU calibration then gimbal cal. are all things that SHOULD fix the problem. But they have not helped in my case :(
Your probably right then, it's tweaked

Hey guys! I had a minor crash (copter flies fine), but the camera shakes in flight and the gimbal stops at 40% calibration every time I auto calibrate. Suggestions?

image.jpg That's what I was thinking. I ordered a replacement and began switching it out today. Got all the way to step replacing the arm and stripped a screw. Gotta find someone that can help removing the last screw.

Now that's a bugger. You don't want to screw up that motor. I see it is a P4 and those motors are hard to come by.

I got the screw out and replaced the yaw arm. It flew fine, gimbal fully calibrated and camera worked well. However, today I came home to fly and the camera flips toward the rear when starting the copter up. I calibrated the gimbal and took it up for a flight but the camera is angled at about a 45 degree angle and is very unstable. Thoughts or suggestions?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic