RIT Dye

Reaction score
So, I RIT - dyed my props a fantastic shade of blue this afternoon. Went very smooth and they flew great afterwards. Now, I have a half-package of dye left and kind of have caught the bug.

Has anyone ever dyed a controller or body shell?

There's a long thread here and will try and find it for you on this but some of our parts don't take Rit dye so well . I have used it on my props and liked it after I figured out how long to leave them in for the color I wanted . Still have 2 I tried to get dark red and turned out pink :D
Dyeing them IMO is the only way to go as I weight them and was no different and did not change the balance none .

Added / Think this is the one https://www.google.com/url?q=http:/...ds-cse&usg=AFQjCNG_OhKnz0Ry8zNt98Khkd1WCBVMgA

Most helpful! My searching didn't turn up that thread. Thank you.
Look in the search in my signature and it's full of links on what you ask ! :)

Reactions: IflyinWY
You need poly dye for the controller & shell. Do it outside as it smells terrible.
And yeah, there is a big dye thread here.

The directions on the bottle of RIT doesn't call for heating the water. Is it nessesary to heat the water for the props to absorb the dye?
I don't know but from watching the video's on it that's what they did.
I was like monkey see monkey do and that's always worked for me here !

I didn't use RIT, instead I used iDye, but for some parts I had to use iDye Poly, which also comes with a colour enhancer sachet to add as well.
For black, if you don't add the enhancer, it comes out a horrible brown. I also have to use by "true red" and "fire red" to get a good red colour, one is too pink, and the other too orange, so combined they make a great red, but there isn't a "poly" version of those that I've found.
I find heating the water makes the dye take much quicker.

Reactions: dirkclod
Reactions: Fplvert
Can anyone recommend the best deep black available?

Can anyone recommend the best deep black available?
Fyod since nobody gonna tell ya I will tell ya this . Find the deepest ya can and experiment on a spare prop if ya got one cause I did find the amount of time you left it in mattered what color ya got . With the red I thought the longer the better . Wrong :eek: Got pink....just diped em for a few minutes and got what I wanted so I guess it's not a set thing what you will get till ya try :)

Fyod since nobody gonna tell ya I will tell ya this . Find the deepest ya can and experiment on a spare prop if ya got one cause I did find the amount of time you left it in mattered what color ya got . With the red I thought the longer the better . Wrong :eek: Got pink....just diped em for a few minutes and got what I wanted so I guess it's not a set thing what you will get till ya try :)
Trust Dirk. He wouldn't steer you wrong. Good luck. I live my dyed props.
ImageUploadedByPhantomPilots - DJI Phantom Forum1442085310.701572.jpg

Reactions: Tricky and dirkclod
Thanks guys. I would like to do the controller shell, because its dirty all the time. Hope to get it right the first time :)

@AirApparent those look good but how did ya get the white emblems like that ?
and @Fyod Ya better listen to what TJ said about the shell cause I know the Rite dye won't do it .
And ya right about once ya do it....it's done and that's what ya have ! Period :eek:
@LuvMyTJ will tell ya all about doing your shell !
All I ever did was props . And after it was all over and done with all I do now is stripe the tips of mine
and just use scotch tape for the line and a red and blue Sharpie pen for the color .

Well, not exactly the red/blue I was hoping for...the Blue is Rit royal and just the shade I wanted, in for less than 10 mins w just below boiling water. The Rit cherry didn't seem to want to take...so after 20 mins, I added more hot water and left for 45 mins and this is what I got...not horrendous, I won't be ashamed to fly w these :)

Attachments

• 1442096374295.jpg
    1442096374295.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 488

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers