RIP Phantom Vision

Reaction score
Well after a great weekend flying vision with new drone expert gimbal it found a watery grave in Newport Harbor in Newport RI.

This last picture it took before crashing .

I noticed similar problems other experienced everything was going fine and some kind of interference caused the phantom to just nose dive for no reason. I tried to steer clear of cell phone towers, power lines etc. Let this just be a warning to others flying around low for at least 2 minutes make sure no interference in the area. Unfortunately this it is for me just can't have a couple of thousand fall out of the sky for no reason again.

I'll be selling my go pro case, chargers and batteries (4) well below cost in classified section if any one is interested.

Hope others have better experiences.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    143.8 KB · Views: 1,154
It's not April fools and I very much doubt you got that far over water in 17 seconds with your black and white phone, 0% battery and no GPS lock or SD card...nice try though... :D

streetcreep said:
I am buying these for the summer i think it will be worth it .. also noticed Mr Rotorpixel himself now uses these after losing some in the water .

http://www.water-buoy.com
Nice idea....saw that on Dragon's Den awhile back. You'd need at least 2 though.....and, the Phantom would still be ruined because of the water intrusion...but, it would be nice to recover for the parts, memory card, etc. Could be re-built.
I'm curious as to where you would mount them? They don't activate instantly....but, it's a cool idea.

Sorry for your loss.....your story, and others, had kept me from flying over water-and I live right next to a big beautiful Lake.

streetcreep said:
I am buying these for the summer i think it will be worth it .. also noticed Mr Rotorpixel himself now uses these after losing some in the water .

Have you found them in stock anywhere in the world?

EDIT, looks like there is one guy in Australia still selling them on Ebay, but that's it, and they don't make them anymore. Testing by others has suggested they won't lift nearly what they advertise if the object being lifted is more than 2 feet underwater before they fully deploy. So, if you get one, get 2 more while you're at it ;)

OI Photography said:
streetcreep said:

EDIT, looks like there is one guy in Australia still selling them on Ebay, but that's it, and they don't make them anymore. Testing by others has suggested they won't lift nearly what they advertise if the object being lifted is more than 2 feet underwater before they fully deploy. So, if you get one, get 2 more while you're at it ;)

I did send an email to one of the vendors .. dam..guess that guy should have taken a dragons den deal. ..The geterback thing look good as well

streetcreep said:
I did send an email to one of the vendors .. dam..guess that guy should have taken a dragons den deal. ..The geterback thing look good as well

Yeah I like the getterback solution, there will be one of those on my Phantom and 550 both the next time either fly over water.

streetcreep said:
OI Photography said:
streetcreep said:

Well, that's good to know. It's interesting that they didn't work. But, at 2.8lbs, my phantom would descend so fast I think the water pressure would be too great for those to even deploy.

Water buoy looks like nice little product least could maybe recover the memory card. I can tell you my phantom sunk like a rock only thing left floating were the shattered propellers.

bbrant said:
Water buoy looks like nice little product least could maybe recover the memory card. I can tell you my phantom sunk like a rock only thing left floating were the shattered propellers.
Yea, but the problem is, from what I gathered is they don't work-and nobody sells them.

I emailed WaterBuoy about two months ago and they finally replied to me last week. They said that they discontinued the original model due to problems but will soon be releasing a "new and improved" model and will notify me when it becomes available. I'll post to the forum when I hear back from them.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik