right stick

Reaction score
Noob trying to understand how this this works. right stick- when I move the stick to the right the bird goes left, when I move stick to the left the bird goes right. When the stick is moved forward the bird goes backwards. When the stick is moved backward the bird goes forward,
This is driving me nuts trying to control the drone. Is this normal?? Yes I know when the camera is facing you, that is the front.
Also there are two other apps installed, I tried those but no help

You must be holding the controller upside down?!

Sorry about that snake reply. I just couldn't resist. Check the remote controller settings menu. The proper mode would be 2.

Oh, previously discussed here
Reversing left stick controls

Last edited:
Yes I know when the camera is facing you, that is the front.
What do you mean? Are you flying with the camera facing you or the camera facing away from you? Based on your description, it sounds like you are flying with the camera facing you which would reverse the controls.

Last edited:
Try with the back of the Phantom facing you.
ie. you are looking in the same direction as the camera is.

If you have the camera facing you, the left/right controls will be reversed.

If you haven't found the manual yet, details start on p21 here: https://dl.djicdn.com/downloads/pha...antom_3_Standard_User_Manual_v1.4_en_0112.pdf
OK, this I did not understand.
So the battery faces the remote controller. When it returns home, the battery end flyes to the operator.Thanks for the help, Jerry

OK, this I did not understand.
So the battery faces the remote controller. When it returns home, the battery end flyes to the operator.Thanks for the help, Jerry
When you gain more experience, the battery can face any direction you like.
But to have the Phantom go right when you push right, you need to be facing the same way as the drone.

When you gain more experience, the battery can face any direction you like.
But to have the Phantom go right when you push right, you need to be facing the same way as the drone.
Facing the the same way as the drone? Please ex-plane. The way that I am reading every post, if the AC is flying with the camera facing forward (away from the RC) my stick controls will work normal. But what happens when the AC is flying back (say out 1/2 mile) and returning home. Won't the camera be facing towards the RC, then my stick command will be opposite? I see a crash in my future. Jerry

Facing the the same way as the drone? Please ex-plane. The way that I am reading every post, if the AC is flying with the camera facing forward (away from the RC) my stick controls will work normal. But what happens when the AC is flying back (say out 1/2 mile) and returning home. Won't the camera be facing towards the RC, then my stick command will be opposite? I see a crash in my future. Jerry

So do I.

Flying basics 101:

The right stick (Cyclic) is referenced to the Quadcopter's Nose. Not to you.
(Guys, lets ignore special flight modes that eliminate this for this discussion please ...)

Quad facing away from you is what is termed "Normal" orientation:

Forward - Quad goes forward (further away)
Backward - Quad goes backwards (comes nearer to you)
Left - Quad goes left
right - Quad goes right

Quad facing towards you is termed "Reverse Orientation / Nose In Orientation:

Forward - Quad goes "Forwards (as you see it)
Backward - Quad goes "backwards" (as you see it)
Left - Quad goes right (as you see it)
right - Quad goes left (as you see it)

Now, go back to my first sentence - If you imagine yourself sitting in it no matter which way it is facing you then you can orientate yourself and make flight inputs as you deem fit for what you want it to do.

Reactions: nogo and Meta4
I see a crash in my future.
Do your early flying in a large open area where there's nothing to hit, well away from trees, buildings and other obstacles.
Put your Phantom up 20-30 feet and get a feel for it.
It's easier than you imagine.
And as RW-1 says above, the controls work as if you were sitting in the drone looking forward.

Reactions: nogo
Thanks for all the help. RW-1 great explanation on the basics. Have not seen this posted before.
What was messing with my head are these stickers that I installed on the stick controller, saying go forward, go backward. Nothing was jiving Thanks for the help. Jerry

Reactions: RW-1
Went out flying in a large field this morning. Everything worked as explained above. Guess that I had nooby anxiety. Thanks Jerry

Reactions: RW-1
You're welcome.

Keep practicing, and slowly expand your range and envelope as you gain confidence in yourself and in the equipment!

Although using them won't help you get a better feel for aircraft's orientation and how to control it accurately, the Phantom 3 Course Lock and Home Lock functions might be useful for you to try out.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

(Some of the above info might be a bit out of date, but you should get the general idea and can search for newer stuff if you want to).

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic