Ribbon Cable - I emailed DJI - got a response within 24 hour

Reaction score
I emailed them to ask if I could buy the ribbon - (having been told by the DJI reps here that my only option is to replace the whole camera/gimbal.)
They emailed back within 24 hrs with the following:

"This is not a standard spare part, we shipped it to some dealers for repair use. Could you tell us where did you see this?"

I have more or less pleaded with them to allow either me, or DJI in the UK, (which is HeliGuy I believe) to be able to buy it.

I emailed this address: [email protected]

So perhaps if you, like me, would like the option of trying this repair, you could respond in this posting and also send an email asking them to make the part available.

Re: Ribbon Cable - I emailed DJI - got a response within 24

Email sent to them.

I've received another message from DJI asking for my dealer details. They said:

"Please tell me which dealer did you buy from, we will inform the sales rep to send some to the dealer."

So it's looking a little more promising.

Webstereo, which dealer are you dealing with?

webstereo said:

"Please tell me which dealer did you buy from, we will inform the sales rep to send some to the dealer."

Either that or they'll have harsh words/end the dealership of that retailer because they were selling the cables without authorisation. I'll almost guarantee those ribbon cables were meant for repairing under-warranty Phantoms, so DJI avoid having to send out whole replacement gimbal assemblies at their own expense.

DrJoe said:
Webstereo, which dealer are you dealing with?

RC Geeks near Gatwick, England. But I suspect it would be through Heliguys because they are the local DJI reps.

wattage said:
webstereo said:

Either that or they'll have harsh words/end the dealership of that retailer because they were selling the cables without authorisation. I'll almost guarantee those ribbon cables were meant for repairing under-warranty Phantoms, so DJI avoid having to send out whole replacement gimbal assemblies at their own expense.

Well let's hope not. I prefer to be on the glass half full side with this one. I cannot see any advantage to DJI in being punitive or belligerent on this issue. First off I thought it was mildly miraculous to get a reply at all - especially after the previous attempts to contact support had taken about 6 weeks for a response. It seems to me that supplying the cables will create a whole lot of good will amongst those of us who need them so everyone's a winner. The alternative is that everyone is a loser and why would any business make that choice?

webstereo said:
wattage said:
webstereo said:

Well let's hope not. I prefer to be on the glass half full side with this one. I cannot see any advantage to DJI in being punitive or belligerent on this issue. First off I thought it was mildly miraculous to get a reply at all - especially after the previous attempts to contact support had taken about 6 weeks for a response. It seems to me that supplying the cables will create a whole lot of good will amongst those of us who need them so everyone's a winner. The alternative is that everyone is a loser and why would any business make that choice?

I'm a half glass full kind of person, but I, too, am more worried they'd be less inclined to be cooperative. I have sent my email, too, asking them to make it available as a spare part. They MUST know people are crashing their Phantoms a plenty. But maybe they like it too much.

The latest I have from the local rep is:
This does not tally with what we have found on the tech bench.

It simply isn't possible to repair that ribbon cable - even with a new one.

I responded saying many people have on this forum so this is still ongoing.

webstereo said:
The latest I have from the local rep is:
This does not tally with what we have found on the tech bench.

It simply isn't possible to repair that ribbon cable - even with a new one.

I responded saying many people have on this forum so this is still ongoing.

Are they trying to say that it is not possible to repair a broken (torn in two) ribbon cable with a new one, what do they do wave a magic wand over it and
the cable repairs itself.

I spotted replacement cables on ebay for $199. "Supply and Demand". There were more than 10 available. Where did they come from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Replacement ... 2516.l5255

Description of item.

This is the original DJI replacement ribbon cable for the Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus camera. This is not the camera or drone itself. You should be tech savy to be able to install this cable as they are very sensitive to breakage and not returnable if they tear. Has double sided tape where needed. These cables are very hard to find and have been priced accordingly. It is still much cheaper than replacing the whole camera which sells for a minimum of $679 here depending on availability.

What do you that'll cost ? $$$$$

flyingtim said:
A bit steep for sure.
I'm instead watching the almost release of the new gimbel that will allow different cameras to be put on and still beam it to ya.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1y_aB4gylS8

Yes, I have been watching that gimbal also. If anyone can get it to work with the Vision Plus, they can. Hope it comes out by the end of the month. Think I will go with the gopro if it does.

Someone is extracting the michael.

RedBaron said:
I spotted replacement cables on ebay for $199. "Supply and Demand". There were more than 10 available. Where did they come from.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/DJI-Replacement ... 2516.l5255

Description of item.

This is the original DJI replacement ribbon cable for the Phantom 2 Vision+ Plus camera. This is not the camera or drone itself. You should be tech savy to be able to install this cable as they are very sensitive to breakage and not returnable if they tear. Has double sided tape where needed. These cables are very hard to find and have been priced accordingly. It is still much cheaper than replacing the whole camera which sells for a minimum of $679 here depending on availability.

Mori55 said:
What do you that'll cost ? $$$$$

Judging by the 7th channel they offered, I reckon it would be 300-400 which will include 1 vision + adaptor and 1 optional adaptor.

I was planning to get a second phantom2 with the gopro+IOSD+FPV but this seems like the ultimate solution.

Yes, agree. I'm sure much higher res cameras will be popping up more and more.

DJI has now stopped responding to my enquiries. The last thing they said was that they instructed their rep to send a ribbon to my dealer, but nothing has been received thus far. Now when I email to ask when the rep might actually do it I get no response. Has anyone else even had contact?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jrl