Reviving batteries

Reaction score
It has been well over a year since I use my phantom and now that I've taken it out of storage, batteries all seem to be dead and won't charge. Is there anyway to jumpstart them or are they just trashed? If trashed, do offbrand batteries work or do I need to stick with DJI brand?

They most likely are in hibernation ....

Manual says just to connect charger and leave to charge up and reset the battery.

I use two forms of charger ... the supplied DJI charger and also programmable LiPo chargers. The programmable one would have better chance of 'kickstarting' it.

If the battery is really dead - its a LiPo and revival is a near 100% impossible feat. Lipo's once discharged too low are damaged.

As to replacement batterys - you will read a lot of rubbish about this ..

Thousands of 3rd party batterys are flying P3's all over the world ... without problems. A few people have a problem and then cries "CLONE BATTERY !!!!" .

I have one original and two 3rd party batterys ... they cost about $90 each against the $150 I would have to pay over here for even the cheapest original DJI. There is no difference at all in flight for all my three packs.

Nigel

The off brand batteries seem to work as good as dji except the green leds arn't as bright but once in the air who cares ?.Several sellers on ebay have warrantys and I have seen them as low as $53. sometimes with buy 2 and free shipping.

It has been well over a year since I use my phantom and now that I've taken it out of storage, batteries all seem to be dead and won't charge. Is there anyway to jumpstart them or are they just trashed? If trashed, do offbrand batteries work or do I need to stick with DJI brand?

Are they 'puffy'?
If so they cannot be revived. Even if they charge up they'll have no capacity.

A standard LiPo (HV or normal) can be 'jolted' to start charging - but you need to use non LiPo methods to do it ... and extreme care ...

DJI have prevented us the owners from accessing the battery itself - so many of the LiPo tricks you learn as the 'knowledge grows' cannot be used ... some say Good - as that stops idiots and protects DJI !

If you have access to a Programmable LiPo charger ... then I am willing to pass on a few 'tricks' via PM ... but not publicly here on the thread. I will not be accused of teaching bad ways .... :eek:

Generally if the LiPo is dead .. its DEAD DEAD DEAD !!

Puffy has nothing to do with it ... that just shows that internal gassing has occurred usually due to too high a demand or damage to battery cells. In fact you can have a puffed cell and still have reasonable use out of it ... BUT you better keep a close eye on it !! (I fly EDF's and high speed record breakers ... puffing is an accepted problem !)

Nigel

New P4P battery dead after initial charge. Bought from B&H when I bought the P4P+. Was told by B&H I had to go through DJI for exchange. Got in touch with DJI and received instructions on procedure they require just to consider a return. Not a simple "send it to us and we'll send you a new one". They require a video to be shot of the whole charging procedure using both the defective battery and a good one for comparison purposes.
So, there must be a simple way to jump-start the battery, to at least get the lights on it to light up. Anyone got any suggestions? And what equipment I might need to do it?

What a crock !! I really feel sorry for you.

Over here - they try the 'go to manufacturer for warranty issues' ... but in fact retailer is the first port of call. Especially if within so many days of purchase. They try to duck out - but persistence and not taking their rubbish pays of.

Personally - I would have hammered the seller ... demanded to speak to Boss etc.

Nigel

I assume a P4P battery even though different to a P3 ... would act the same ..

Connect up charger and leave it connected ... it may be in Hibernation and it will take time for it to awaken ...

Do not start pressing buttons as the battery manual says it needs 5 minutes after button press !!

Nigel

If I were to buy a product new from the box and was told I had to send it back to the manufacture like they told you ?,I would ask them where do I send it back because I want my money back !.

Reactions: p3s_noob
If I were to buy a product new from the box and was told I had to send it back to the manufacture like they told you ?,I would ask them where do I send it back because I want my money back !.

Send it back ? NO - where do I deposit it in the sellers "establishment" !!

Nigel

I'm assuming the buyer bought it with a credit card.The seller can deposit the money back into his CC account OR the buyer can contact his CC and dispute the charge and send it back and let them hash it out.It has been done before.

I'm assuming the buyer bought it with a credit card.The seller can deposit the money back into his CC account OR the buyer can contact his CC and dispute the charge and send it back and let them hash it out.It has been done before.

Absolutely ... unless its Debit - then its not so easy ...

Nigel

Reactions: Hazardc
Absolutely ... unless its Debit - then its not so easy ...

Nigel
Wife uses a Debit and the times she has disputed with sellers over the years she has not lost once and she has bought plenty.ALL sellers have a responsibility if they have a license and deal with credit or debit cards as they all go thru a bank and banks do protect their depositers.

Why I mentioned Debit vs Credit is that Debit does not have same protection as Credit ...

Example are some of the budget airlines who will not accept Credit cards .... Ever wondered why ?

Nigel

Why I mentioned Debit vs Credit is that Debit does not have same protection as Credit ...

Example are some of the budget airlines who will not accept Credit cards .... Ever wondered why ?

Nigel
I use my Debit as I don't carry any cash on me for diesel for my truck,eateries,haircuts you name it and wife does the same.One Saturday I get a call from this nice lady and she says John,are you in Florida right now ? and I tell her no,i'm home in Texas.She says somebody in Florida is trying to use your Debit # in Florida so I shut your account down.Go to your bank on Monday and they will issue you another card and we are sorry for this inconvenience.Now if that isn't bank protection I don't know what is !.This has happened to the wife several times,one was in NJ ? or somewhere up north.I see people with CC's that have the same problems so it isn't CC or Debit but if there is a difference which I doubt it might be a particular bank policy,maybe.
Budget airlines ? Pffft I fly for free :)

I have had similar with both CC and DC ... last one was two purchases within a couple hours of each other on one card for over $2000 worth of furniture in New York state !! I was in Trinidad ..... Bank called ...

What I mean by difference is that some purchases dont qualify for protective refund by DEbit card and is why some Budget Airlines like them ...

Nigel

What I mean by difference is that some purchases dont qualify for protective refund by DEbit card and is why some Budget Airlines like them ...

Nigel
Maybe in your country but here in the USA I have the same protection as a regular CC from a seller. First you say " some of the budget airlines who will not accept Credit cards .... Ever wondered why ?"
Now your saying " some purchases dont qualify for protective refund by DEbit card and is why some Budget Airlines like them ..."
Are you sure you know what your saying or do you care to explain your reasoning ?.And what is it with this Budget Airlines ?,we were talking about getting a refund on a Phanton due to a bad battery.

A standard LiPo (HV or normal) can be 'jolted' to start charging - but you need to use non LiPo methods to do it ... and extreme care ...

DJI have prevented us the owners from accessing the battery itself - so many of the LiPo tricks you learn as the 'knowledge grows' cannot be used ... some say Good - as that stops idiots and protects DJI !

If you have access to a Programmable LiPo charger ... then I am willing to pass on a few 'tricks' via PM ... but not publicly here on the thread. I will not be accused of teaching bad ways .... :eek:

Generally if the LiPo is dead .. its DEAD DEAD DEAD !!

Puffy has nothing to do with it ... that just shows that internal gassing has occurred usually due to too high a demand or damage to battery cells. In fact you can have a puffed cell and still have reasonable use out of it ... BUT you better keep a close eye on it !! (I fly EDF's and high speed record breakers ... puffing is an accepted problem !)

Nigel
I have had one of my P4 batteries go south on me after some storage. Would you mind sharing the process to get it revived? I have revived normal lipo batteries in the past using my hobby charger by changing the mode to non-lipo however would appreciate some input before trying it on "smart" batteries.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4