Reversing direction when changing to atti !

Reaction score
Hello all, just been out for a flight in the park and was finding that when changing into atti mode from gps the directions of the controls would change, ie left is right, right is left, forward is back and back is forwards ! What's happening there ?

That sounds crazy! Did you try shutting it all down and restarting while you were out there?

Do a transmitter calibration, that should clean it up.

I will give it a full once over tomorrow, but it is very worrying, especially at a bit of distance, it is very easy to send it in completely the wrong direction ! If the weathers ok tomorrow I will try make a video to show exactly what it's doing.

Is it possible that the Phantom's front was facing you? That might explain why the directions reversed when you switch from GPS to ATTI. In GPS, no matter which way the Phantom is facing, if you push the stick left, the Phantom will move to YOUR left and the same for the other directions. In ATTI, if you push the stick to the left, the Phantom will move to ITS left. As I understand it.

MRSpyder2U said:
Is it possible that the Phantom's front was facing you? That might explain why the directions reversed when you switch from GPS to ATTI. In GPS, no matter which way the Phantom is facing, if you push the stick left, the Phantom will move to YOUR left and the same for the other directions. In ATTI, if you push the stick to the left, the Phantom will move to ITS left. As I understand it.

Not true. GPS and ATTI mode does not change the directions of movement relative to the craft (forward will always be forward , left will always be left, etc relative to the craft's orientation in both GPS and ATTI). However, if you have IOC selected and you were in HL/CL and then switched from GPS to ATTI, then you will get responses like the one described above.

Suggestion is to double check the IOC option in your NAZA Assistant Software. Make sure that IOC is NOT selected. When you fly, make sure your switch for HL/CL is in the OFF position.

Cheers guys, I've just done a full reclaibration and checked every switch and knob ! Gonna take it over in the park and give it a whirl ! If you don't hear from me for a few days then you know H/L didn't work and I'll be looking for a second job !

It flew great. But ! When flying in H/L then switching to atti mode whilst in H/L it would lose its orientation again and fly in reverse controls ! Not sure what to do, glad I've still got it tho, and it's flying awesome, very steady. I tried cable tieing my iPod touch to it but very wobbly !

if you are learning to fly it, i would suggest turning OFF the IOC option (making sure it is not selected / checked in NAZA software). until you learn to control it in basic mode of GPS / ATTI, it is not recommended to fly with IOC.... imho

Agreed with auck.

But remember one thing the HL only work in GPS mode, so if you selected HL and switch from GPS to ATTI, then the control is unpredictable. Stay with IOC off and use the CL or HL only when you get in trouble.

Note CL works without the satellite signal but use the compass instead.

Note 2. it is a good practice to check if your Phantom recorded the home position before flying into the distance. After you connect the battery about 30 seconds if all goes well you will see a fast blinking green indicating the home position recorded. If you miss that you can test this when it is 10 meters or more away from you, try both CL and HL and see if they work accordingly, otherwise you can manually record the current home position "in flight" by flipping from OFF to CL 4-5 time and the fast blinking green will confirm, then flip 4-5 time between CL and HL (green led confirmed) and finally back to OFF position.

Gizmo3000 said:
tanasit said:
Note CL works without the satellite signal but use the compass instead..

I'm fairly certain that CL also uses the GPS to determine where to fly the Phantom no matter what direction it's pointing.

you are correct, both CL and HL uses GPS to determine the "home" point (not stated, but DJI supposes you are close to where the craft took off hence the 30 foot radius for CL and HL to work). if you are in CL or HL, the craft will move in directions relative to it's "home" point. hence when you switch from GPS to ATTI (technically switching off GPS) you effectively wipe the "home" point from the Phantom.

In order to keep the craft flying in a relatively predictable manner, when you switch to ATTI, you are flying in orientation to the craft itself and NOT the home point. Thus if your craft was facing you (from home point looking at the Phantom) it will go backward if you push forward on your control stick.

again, in my humble opinion, master the "normal" or regular flight functions (GPS & ATTI) of the Phantom before you move onto the IOC functions. This will help you when you are in flying in IOC and something happens (you accidently switch to ATTI or the Phantom loses GPS), you will always be able to control the Phantom. The last thing anyone of us want is for someone to fly their Phantom into someone and cause injury or worse.

I still insist that the CL only utilizes compass not GPS so that is why in CL the Phantom will fly in grid pattern.
You may try that by covering the top (GPS antenna) with foil or carbon sheet, then activate and see if CL works.
Also check led to make sure you have green followed by rapid 3 red.

Earlier today, I tried CL in ATTI mode and it worked.
Wanna guess if HL works in ATTI mode?

tanasit said:
I still insist that the CL only utilizes compass not GPS so that is why in CL the Phantom will fly in grid pattern.
You may try that by covering the top (GPS antenna) with foil or carbon sheet, then activate and see if CL works.
Also check led to make sure you have green followed by rapid 3 red.

Earlier today, I tried CL in ATTI mode and it worked.
Wanna guess if HL works in ATTI mode?

would be very interesting to find out. by all accounts in the manual and videos, DJI has stated that both CL/HL requires both GPS and compass. I wonder if ATTI still has active GPS, but the craft is no longer enforcing the "hover at this coordinate"?

DJI revised the manual many times over and still people keep finding a lot of error.
I believe only in fail safe mode (RTH) that no matter of the switch positions, the GPS will be utilized to get the Phantom back.
People including me fly indoor with no GPS signal (in ATTI mode of course) all the time.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj