Returning Home For The Pro +

Reaction score
So I have been getting to know my drone for the past couple of weeks. I would like to take it on a longer distance flight that would take it right on the edge of my ability to see it.. There would be no objects between me and the drone. My question is, can you/should you use return to home in a situation like this so the drone will just come back and once its in range can I take over manually?

Does anyone use the return to home in this way?

The RTH will kick in once you see a disconnect on the dji go 4 app. Then wait awhile and it will regain connection. I usually fly back when I see it about to disconnect. But be careful I had a crash with my P4 after disconnect RTH kicked in. Since there is a delay in RTH kicking in(3 seconds before it initializes) my bird was already descending and close to trees so that 3 second gap could of been an issue for me and the reason for my crash. So yea make sure to be high enough of any trees or objects so during the 3 second delay you'll be safe.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Last edited:
Some pilots use RTH all the time to bring the bird back, but I don't. If you enable RTH manually with the RTH button (push and hold 3sec), YES you can push the RTH button again to regain control at any time, assuming it's got a connection to the bird. The radio with GO APP tells you if it's connected with the craft, so at any time you are connected, just push RTH button again to take over control.

Remember, the RTH height needs to clear the highest object in your area, as measured in relation to the take-off elevation. I prefer to always fly my craft back, usually by FPV when it's that far away.

Ok thanks for the replies so far. I don't plan to fly it out of radio range , just my old eyes range :)

Another question then: FPV, I assume you use that flying to and from locations, take it off, shoot movie and then put it back on for the return ?

Another question then: FPV, I assume you use that flying to and from locations, take it off, shoot movie and then put it back on for the return ?
What do you mean by "FPV"?

Thanks! I just wanted to confirm since your scenario seemed a bit odd.

When I'm flying with FPV goggles, I only take them off when taking off and landing. I'm thinking keeping them on while shooting a movie is one of the benefits of using them.

You can start/stop the video and tilt the gimbal from the remote controller. If you need to configure any of the camera settings, you'll need to remove the goggles and make those changes in DJI GO.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Fimaj