Returning home fail safe shutdown

Reaction score
Hi everyone, just returned from my second flight outing here in Sydney, Australia. I've been slowly honing my basic skills an flying on a few large sports ovals over the weekend. Find when I get distance between myself and the phantom, say 100 meters or so with 60 meters of height, orientation become an issue with line of sight so I have panicked on 2 occasions (needlessly) and activated the return home by switching off the transmitter. I've noticed when it lands and shuts down(both times as per the book), control returning to the air with a CSC start is lost even though I've switched the transmitter back on, found I need to turn the drone off and back on again to reconnect, this par for the course?....I've managed to retake control while in the air flipping the s1 switch to centre and back that's ok, just wondering if this is a usual requirement after RTH motor shutdown.

Thanks to anyone that answers this in advance.

John :|

I believe it's a design feature - as loss of transmitter signal initiates the sequence, that can also happen on the ground (don't have the props on your aircraft doing firmware upgrades then switch the transmitter off first when you've finished, for example... heard more than one report of aircraft docking themselves onto ceilings trying to get to 20 metres...). It's effectively insisting you rebind the transmitter and receiver (by power cycling again) before it "trusts" the inputs - good in case the RTH was initiated due to interference or a transmitter error in the first place, I guess.

Yes this is correct behavior. I advise u to download the NAZAM2 manual. It is much precisely described all the IOC modes and FS there.

I keep my S1 bottom switch option as manual in NAZA mode, so when I want to be lazy, I just turn off the controller. When I decide to regain control, I just quickly flip my S1 down and back up and I am back in control.

You can try this if you are interested.

I wish the default was 100+ ft "about 33 meters" the return to home 60 feet "20 Meters" will not clear most trees, IMO :mrgreen:

osen007 said:
I wish the default was 100+ ft "about 33 meters" the return to home 60 feet "20 Meters" will not clear most trees, IMO :mrgreen:

I too wish the same. Where is the software guru on the forum who can write a program to tap into the bird and make customizations?

GMANNZ said:
Also remember the "Hitch Hikers Guide to the Universe" clearly states .... DONT PANIC !! ;)
Thankyou Slartybartfast :D or was it Zaphod Beeblebrox

osen007 said:

I wish the firmware and Assistant software would be changed so the user could set a RTH height that can be adjusted to exceed the max height of the obstacles in the area you're flying the Phantom.

Even better would be if you could load a set of coordinates of obstacles with their height and at which distance they should be passed if not overflown into the Phantom so it would 'know' the area and could avoid these obstacles. The amount of memory required would be very small. I have no idea how much spare memory is available in the Phantom.

If resetting the Home position also reset the RTH minimum altitude, one could
set the required altitude in the field, "on the fly" as appropriate for the circumstances.

Big Ben said:
osen007 said:

I wish the firmware and Assistant software would be changed so the user could set a RTH height that can be adjusted to exceed the max height of the obstacles in the area you're flying the Phantom.

Even better would be if you could load a set of coordinates of obstacles with their height and at which distance they should be passed if not overflown into the Phantom so it would 'know' the area and could avoid these obstacles. The amount of memory required would be very small. I have no idea how much spare memory is available in the Phantom.

I really wish this feature was in the assistant software as well. It seems like a fairly simple think to modify in the software so I would imagine that if DJI does not release firmware that has this capability in the future that somebody will figure out how to allow us to modify it.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AdriSmitJnr