Return to home height

Reaction score
Hey all,
I'm looking to do a lot of over hill and valley shots and wondered, how does the return to home work around that?
Does it simply fly home the height when you engaged RTH or is there some other magic that happens?

Also, and sorry to put two questions in one post... when flying low over the ground and the ground sensors are active, will it climb and descend based on the ground variations? (under the 3 metres that is)

1. There is a RTH altitude setting in the application. When you will trigger RTH it will desend to that level and fly back to jome.

2. I watch a few videos which are positive that bird is adjusting its altitude according to the ground. But there is nothing in the official manual about that. So it is not a guaranteed action.

Reactions: terry s and Turbazz
Does it simply fly home the height when you engaged RTH or is there some other magic that happens?
When RTH is initiated, your Phantom will ascend to the RTH altitude and then start returning to the home point. If you press the throttle while it's ascending, it'll stop ascending and start returning to the home point at its current altitude.

when flying low over the ground and the ground sensors are active, will it climb and descend based on the ground variations?
No. VPS just helps to keep your Phantom stable. You'll need to manually ascend as needed to ensure you do not crash into the ground.

Reactions: terry s
1. There is a RTH altitude setting in the application. When you will trigger RTH it will desend to that level and fly back to jome.

2. I watch a few videos which are positive that bird is adjusting its altitude according to the ground. But there is nothing in the official manual about that. So it is not a guaranteed action.

When RTH is triggered the Phantom will stay at its current altitude if it is above your pre defined altitude. However if your Phantom is below your RTH altitude setting then it will ascend to that altitude. Never will your Phantom drop below or descend from its current altitude when an RTH is triggered. Anyway once your Phantom is at the height it needs to be if it wasn't already, it then flys in a straight line above the marked home position followed by a brief pause before descent to a landing and engine shut off.

Reactions: 30secs and terry s
After reading threads on RTH. It needs to be qualified. RTH is at an altitude "above the home designation altitude". And not above the ground it happens to be over. I think there should be a designation like AHP "above home point". In aviation we always designate altitude either MSL or AGL. Neither of which RTH applies to. Imho

After reading threads on RTH. It needs to be qualified. RTH is at an altitude "above the home designation altitude". And not above the ground it happens to be over.
The Phantom only knows one height - and that's the height of the home point.
Everything else is measured as above or below home point.
The Phantom doesn't know what sea level or ground level is.

And I'll add that toy can and should always adjust the RTH height level even mid flight if you need higher Clarence.

Best to climb up at home then look around FPV if you see something higher, climb some more until you see you are clear the set that clear line of sight as your RTH height.

Although I have units set as imperial, it seems to be confusing when setting the RTH height as it gives me a range of heights in meters. Seems odd!

Yep have to calculate 3.28 ft per meter. Have a nice day!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic