Return to Home... do you trust it?

Reaction score
After seeing many videos of fly-aways on various Tube channels, I am not confident to push that RTH button. I am also afraid to let the DJI Pilot App do it automatically at low battery time. Usually because it is so far away I just don't want to chance it without knowing the experiences of others.

Any issues with RTH worth mentioning? Has anyone else been hesitant to try it? Also, does RTH work right if you are not connected to the Internet with your FPV device?

Forget the word flyaway, it's something that used to be a fault nearly 2 years ago but is still used today mainly by new pilots to put blame on crashes mainly due to pilot error because they didn't know what they were doing and panicked. Rth is fine and very useful at times. Just test it out in wide open areas first at not too far a distance away so you build up your own confidence in it. Make sure you know your phantom and that it has home lock, sat lock and you know if you are in gps/atti

i'm still practicing but the times i've had my phantom at about 100ft up and I hit the return button, the drone descended. I had set the return to home altitude to 50m in which the drone is suppose to ascend to 50m then descend once its on the home position. I could be wrong in the way i went about it.

I was however able to override the RTH by taking control of the stick, in which case I trusted the drone up and brought it home manually.

Reactions: Otis
I totally trust it. The only thing I ever worry about is if the default RTH altitude is set high enough for my surroundings, and if a radius around the home point is clear overhead.

That being said, I never use it unless I am just demonstrating the functionality to someone. I prefer to fly back and land myself, but I love knowing that RTH is there and that I know how to use and override if I need to do that.

Last edited:
After seeing many videos of fly-aways on various Tube channels, I am not confident to push that RTH button. I am also afraid to let the DJI Pilot App do it automatically at low battery time. Usually because it is so far away I just don't want to chance it without knowing the experiences of others.

Also, does RTH work right if you are not connected to the Internet with your FPV device?

You may want to read up on RTH because it has nothing to do with a data connection. It simply either flies up to a preset height or remains at it's height if its higher and flies straight back to where it took off. It does this via GPS.

Each person is different but I _never_ hit RTH just to hit it. I _always_ fly back myself if possible. I like to be in 100% control of the Phantom at all times. Turning control over to the Phantom opens the door for something to go wrong. If you fly out and get a low battery warning and hit RTH, it will RTH much slower than you can fly yourself. Also, with RTH, you can't easily turn as well when under manual control. Yes you do have some control but it's a little less then flying manually.

With that said, do I trust it? Yup. It works.

Reactions: Brett_Meyer
I unintentionally flew my inspire 2.1 miles away from the house. Full signal the whole time before I started to loose a little signal quality. I hit return to home and when the drone turned around I lost video for about five seconds. It flew home straight as an arrow with no issues.

Reactions: Otis
Yes and it's cool if you're videoing as it does a slow 180.

Reactions: Mal_PV2_Ireland
I used to never trust it, but now I use it religiously.

It's honestly an amazing feature, and I use it to return home any chance I get

it seems like you guys haven't had any issues with it. I must be doing something wrong for my drone to be descending as soon as I hit the RTH button although the RTH altitude is set much higher. I will do a system check, it maybe a wrong setting. When the drone comes home is it on spot right where it took off?

Last edited:
I only use it when I'm not sure where the Phantom is. (small phone screen is of little help).
I always give it more altitude while its returning and always take control back when I spot it.

I've had a Phantom 1, a Phantom 2 and now a Phantom 3 Pro. I've used RTH well over 100 times and it has worked EVERY TIME.
But then again, I also let it sit on the ground in place after powering it on and wait for the LED lights or Pilot App to tell me it has a GPS home lock ;)

it seems like you guys haven't had any issues with it. I must be doing something wrong for my drone to be descending as soon as I hit the RTH button although the RTH altitude is set much higher. I will do a system check, it maybe a wrong setting. When the drone comes home is in on spot right where it took off?
You have to set it to GO HOME AND LAND and not LAND. RTH Height won't matter if it's set to LAND.

Reactions: Oso
it seems like you guys haven't had any issues with it. I must be doing something wrong for my drone to be descending as soon as I hit the RTH button although the RTH altitude is set much higher. I will do a system check, it maybe a wrong setting. When the drone comes home is in on spot right where it took off?
If you are less than a certain distance away (60 feet?) it will land straight down with RTH.

Perhaps I was about 60ft when I tried it lol. I will try a further distance next time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RTH works well for me. Just don't hit the throttle when your Phantom is ascending to the RTH altitude. If you do, it'll start returning home at its current altitude.

6.20 min of my overexposed video you will see RTH, came back perfectly, same spot dead on...
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Last edited:
I trust it but only use it in emergency. Like I lost visual of it because the skies so bright, take your eye off it for a second and can't find it Crazy [emoji15][emoji15]
But YES I trust it

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers