Return to home clarification

Reaction score
I read a couple different statements regarding return to home when the Phantom is close, less than 20 meters. My understanding is that it will still fly to the home point and land, it will just not ascend to the RTH height. Is that correct? The other thing I read is that it will just auto-land, which is kind of scary to me....

Can you see being DJI programming a RTH feature when the drone could be at head level? Just flying along wacking people in the heads. It won't RTH when closer then 20m.

Reactions: bobmyers
Can you see being DJI programming a RTH feature when the drone could be at head level? Just flying along wacking people in the heads. It won't RTH when closer then 20m.

So it will do nothing or it will land in place?

That is kind of a bummer, there could be a lot of stuff within 65 feet of your take off spot....is it an option, can you make change the 20M to like 1 M?

Not sure why ... but if it's within 65 feet you should be able to bring home and land without an issue manually. I think of RTH feature as a safety. I have never tested mine yet.

Not sure why ... but if it's within 65 feet you should be able to bring home and land without an issue manually. I think of RTH feature as a safety. I have never tested mine yet.

yeah, I don't plan to use it except emergencies. I plan to fly from the beach a lot. So, my fear is that if for some reason I lose signal and it goes into RTH it will land in the water. I guess I will always take off 20 m from water edge and then walk to the beach....or maybe I could have it warmup and set home 20 m from water edge and then carry it to the beach and hand launch?

Cancel RTH if it happens & fly as normal, chances of that happening are slim I'd say @20m

yeah, I don't plan to use it except emergencies. I plan to fly from the beach a lot. So, my fear is that if for some reason I lose signal and it goes into RTH it will land in the water. I guess I will always take off 20 m from water edge and then walk to the beach....or maybe I could have it warmup and set home 20 m from water edge and then carry it to the beach and hand launch?
I think you are misunderstanding the RTH you can take off anywhere right at your feet if you want-- you just have to fly further than 20 meters for the RTH to work and fly back to your home point if you. You cant test it under 20 meters from your start position or it will land. Fly it out 30 meters, hit the RTH and it will Return and land very close to your take off point.

On the other side of that issue-- you wouldn't need RTH unless it went beyond your sight-- your can always fly it back to you-- once you start flying your probably wont ever use it, unless you lose signal and it automatically initiates.

I think you are misunderstanding the RTH you can take off anywhere right at your feet if you want-- you just have to fly further than 20 meters for the RTH to work and fly back to your home point if you. You cant test it under 20 meters from your start position or it will land. Fly it out 30 meters, hit the RTH and it will Return and land very close to your take off point.

On the other side of that issue-- you wouldn't need RTH unless it went beyond your sight-- your can always fly it back to you-- once you start flying your probably wont ever use it, unless you lose signal and it automatically initiates.

You misunderstand, my fear is a malfunction in the transmitter or aircraft that causes it to lose signal and automatically initiate RTH. My statement about setting the home point at least 20m from the water will ensure in my mind that it never auto-lands in the water....

You misunderstand, my fear is a malfunction in the transmitter or aircraft that causes it to lose signal and automatically initiate. My statement about setting the home point at least 20m from the water will ensure in my mind that it never auto-lands in the water....
It is not going to lose signal and automatically initiate 15 meters from you-- never heard of that happening on this forum and it certainly has never happened to me. But do whatever makes you comfortable.

It could happen for sure. You might turn off your controller or your controller could run out of batteries. From my experience though other than that you are good. Even if the app crashes or you close the app to use another app it is your controller still commutating with the phantom. I over think the possibilities every time I go to fly but in the end so far everything has been perfect.

It could happen for sure. You might turn off your controller or your controller could run out of batteries. From my experience though other than that you are good. Even if the app crashes or you close the app to use another app it is your controller still commutating with the phantom. I over think the possibilities every time I go to fly but in the end so far everything has been perfect.
you can fly the P3 without the app-- so if it crashes you are not going to lose signal unless it is out of range. IMHO, you are overthinking the issue. Read the manual and understand completely what and how the RTH function does, when it activates and what happens. Be sure that the Fail Safe is set to RTH and not land and you will be fine. I have used mine one time and that was to test it.

You can easily reset your HP while in the air. You do not need to relaunch. The icon/button is on the left in iOS.
I would like to hear Dji's official rationale for the 20m go straight down action though.

Running it through in my head I think it may work out the way I kind of picture flying at the beach anyway. I plan to:

1. Setup more than 20 m from shoreline on level ground in grass.
2. Calibrate compass
3. Set home point
4. Carry phantom onto beach and hand launch
5. Fly over water
6. Return Phantom to beach and hand catch

If anything goes wrong, it would RTH 20 m form the shoreline...

you can fly the P3 without the app-- so if it crashes you are not going to lose signal unless it is out of range. IMHO, you are overthinking the issue. Read the manual and understand completely what and how the RTH function does, when it activates and what happens. Be sure that the Fail Safe is set to RTH and not land and you will be fine. I have used mine one time and that was to test it.

I'm guessing you quoted the wrong person. I agree lol.

Running it through in my head I think it may work out the way I kind of picture flying at the beach anyway. I plan to:

1. Setup more than 20 m from shoreline on level ground in grass.
2. Calibrate compass
3. Set home point
4. Carry phantom onto beach and hand launch
5. Fly over water
6. Return Phantom to beach and hand catch

If anything goes wrong, it would RTH 20 m form the shoreline...
You will need to hand carry it to the beach 20m without shutting it down, and that's not a good idea at all because it will be trying to stabilize itself. It does get angry when you move it around by hand. The catching over the beach part I totally get though.
It will reset its HP at every startup/takeoff. Just reset it inflight.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ozmtl