Return home height

Reaction score
Can any one help, i have a phantom vision 2 + and I need to change the return home height from 20 meters to 50 meters ( our gum trees are real tall ) lost sight with wifi and I believe the phantom tried to come home through the trees, so much for a soft landing cost me a new $900.00 camera......

Bushier on said:
Can any one help, i have a phantom vision 2 + and I need to change the return home height from 20 meters to 50 meters ( our gum trees are real tall ) lost sight with wifi and I believe the phantom tried to come home through the trees, so much for a soft landing cost me a new $900.00 camera......

You'll have to reset it every time you fly. Ascend to 30 meters above your launch point and follow the instructions on how to reset the Home Point while you hover there. When the Phantom returns, it will do so at 50 meters (ie: 20 meters above the Home Point).

As far as I know, there is no way to change the RTH altitude in the software.

Geert said:
It is not possible to change the height.

Geert./.

Yes, you can, by resetting the Home Point while at an altitude above the ground. See page 18 of the latest user manual. Flip S2 up and down 5 times and wait for confirmation that the new Home Point has been recorded. That record includes the altitude at which the Phantom was at at the time you flipped the switch. It won't crash on RTH, it will slowly descend past that height when it comes home until it finds the ground.

dirkclod said:
:? I thought that if you set home point at 50 meters and hit RTH and where flying at 40 meters when you did so it would go to 70 meters and return ?

EDIT / Maybe I need to have some more coffee ;)
RE EDIT :roll: / Well had coffee and went back out and tried this, Went up 100' reset HP then went out 300' dropped down to 50' and hit RTH. It went to 160' and came back in ;)

Exactly! can you please explain that to Geert. I've done this many times, and it absolutely works. The Phantom will ADD 20 meters (60 feet) to the the altitude of the Home Point when she comes home by herself.

Geert said:
doug86 said:
Geert said:
It is not possible to change the height.

Geert./.

Yes, you can, by resetting the Home Point while at an altitude above the ground. See page 18 of the latest user manual. Flip S2 up and down 5 times and wait for confirmation that the new Home Point has been recorded. That record includes the altitude at which the Phantom was at at the time you flipped the switch. It won't crash on RTH, it will slowly descend past that height when it comes home until it finds the ground.
Yes, I know that, but it makes no difference for the RTH procedure. It has nothing to do with resetting your home point.
If you enter the fail safe mode and you are at an altitude from 15 meter, your Phantom will climb to 20 meter and NOT more. You can not change that 20 meter. It will fly home at 20 meter altitude and then descend.

Geert./.

Sorry Geert, but you are wrong. Resetting the Home Point at an altitude of 100 feet above ground will result in a RTH altitude of 160 fee'. Even if you begin the RTH at 10 above the ground. It will RISE to 160' first, then fly home at that altitude.

Geert said:
doug86 said:
Sorry Geert, but you are wrong. Resetting the Home Point at an altitude of 100 feet above ground will result in a RTH altitude of 160 fee'. Even if you begin the RTH at 10 above the ground. It will RISE to 160' first, then fly home at that altitude.

I was twice in the situation that I reset my home point during a flight and I did not had the experience that my bird was climbing to more than 20 meters when going into fail safe and return home.
But happy to hear that it is possible as you described and my apologies up front. :)
I will test it out in a few days and post the results here.

Geert./.

One thing that has happened to me: during my testing, there were a few times that I thought I had reset my home position, but in fact it hadn't recorded yet. It can take up to 30 seconds for the new home point to record, and perhaps if the bird is moving, things get screwy. Looking forward to results of your test. d86

Geert said:
Doug86, you are absolutely right. My bad and my apologies for the wrong information.
I did 3 flights today where I reset to home point to a higher altitude.

After take of I climbed straight to 35 meter altitude and then I flipped the S2 switch more than 5 times (reset home point).
Then I went out to 150 meters and started to descend to 15 meters altitude.
I triggered fail safe and after 3 seconds I got the message on my screen return to home.
The Phantom turned 180 degree first and then climbed to 55 meters, which I did not expect at all. I thought It would climb to 35 meters. The climbing went very slowly, it took some time. When reached 55 meters It flew back to the home point.

I did 3 tests. The first one failed. After I triggered fail safe it climbed to just 20 meters altitude.
The 2 other test as described above. So I learned something new, thanks. :D

Geert./.

Well, that's excellent news Geert! Please help us spread this to the Phantom community, as I think it is a vital skill for those who fly around high obstacles like buildings and trees.

Now, here is question I haven't tested. Suppose you fly down, into a canyon, and reset the Home Point BELOW the original take off altitude. At what altitude will the bird RTH at? My guess is that it will fly at 20 meters above the Home Point, meaning that it will fly into the side of the canyon. But I don't know, as I haven't tried it. Perhaps the software engineers at DJI were smart enough to write some code that prevents a new Home Point being lower than the take off altitude?

doug86 said:
Geert said:
Doug86, you are absolutely right. My bad and my apologies for the wrong information.
I did 3 flights today where I reset to home point to a higher altitude.

After take of I climbed straight to 35 meter altitude and then I flipped the S2 switch more than 5 times (reset home point).
Then I went out to 150 meters and started to descend to 15 meters altitude.
I triggered fail safe and after 3 seconds I got the message on my screen return to home.
The Phantom turned 180 degree first and then climbed to 55 meters, which I did not expect at all. I thought It would climb to 35 meters. The climbing went very slowly, it took some time. When reached 55 meters It flew back to the home point.

I did 3 tests. The first one failed. After I triggered fail safe it climbed to just 20 meters altitude.
The 2 other test as described above. So I learned something new, thanks. :D

Geert./.

Well, that's excellent news Geert! Please help us spread this to the Phantom community, as I think it is a vital skill for those who fly around high obstacles like buildings and trees.

Now, here is question I haven't tested. Suppose you fly down, into a canyon, and reset the Home Point BELOW the original take off altitude. At what altitude will the bird RTH at? My guess is that it will fly at 20 meters above the Home Point, meaning that it will fly into the side of the canyon. But I don't know, as I haven't tried it. Perhaps the software engineers at DJI were smart enough to write some code that prevents a new Home Point being lower than the take off altitude?

This feature or topic of resetting the Home Point to gain RTH altitude has been hashed out here several times already. I was surprised to see that it surfaced again.

With regards to RTH in canyons, on mountains, or in between... resetting the Home Point (HP) is just that including altitude. There is no retention of the 'last' HP parameters so there is nothing to compare it to.

As far as your question: It will do as your first guess, fly into the canyon wall.

And I'm OK with that... i.e. pilot error.
The last thing I want is more [software] restrictions limiting me on how I can operate my a/c.

dirkclod said:
[ This feature or topic of resetting the Home Point to gain RTH altitude has been hashed out here several times already. I was surprised to see that it surfaced again.]

And you will again just as prop guards or anything else when someone new comes in and don't look back far enough to see what they need to know ;)

Can I use prop guards to increase the distance of the RTH altitude from the place the radar shows my Phantom isn't after it flies over a tree that is too high for me to see over using a Nexus tablet?

:mrgreen:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31