Return Home button sinking into transmitter

Reaction score
Has anyone had the RTH button drop below its normal position and get a little loose? Mine did it on my second flight. It still works and I don't ever push it anymore. I was just wondering if it will hurt anything inside the transmitter? I don't want to deal with a warranty claim. Everything else is perfect.

Thanks in advance for any input on this matter.

Has anyone had the RTH button drop below its normal position and get a little loose? Mine did it on my second flight. It still works and I don't ever push it anymore. I was just wondering if it will hurt anything inside the transmitter? I don't want to deal with a warranty claim. Everything else is perfect.

It may be broken inside of the RC. I have seen a couple of reports of easily broken RC's.

Antenna stick broke! :( | DJI Phantom Forum

R.C. broken | DJI Phantom Forum

Reactions: JoBe
That sucks sorry to hear about that. I suppose you could still shut the remote off to enable return to home or initiate a return to home in the app?

You don't hear anything loose inside that might cause a short do you? I would worry about it not working at some point and then needing it. I think I would be very reluctant like you to send it in but I would end up doing it. Because you should have a good controller you can trust.

Well, it doesn't rattle. It still works, I have tried it since it sank (the 3rd flight) If I had to push it regularly, I would be very concerned if it was sitting on something important underneath. It has only sank about a millimeter or so.

I have since used the on screen RTH once to see if it works correctly, and it does. I have over 25 flights and 30 miles in long flights (6400+ ft) now and haven't needed the button for anything.

Thanks Oso, Your links helped me. I see that I am not the only one that has had the RTH button come loose.

Reactions: Oso
Dirtybum, you haven't had any problems? You certainly have to press the power button a lot.

Drone_on. If I turn the remote off to initiate RTH, can it be turned back on when the Phantom gets back close to regain control? The start up procedure has you turn the Phantom remote on 1st and after landing turn the phantom off 1st.

Thanks Oso, Your links helped me. I see that I am not the only one that has had the RTH button come loose.
That one post about a RTH button breaking off completely mentioned very short screws once the screw bosses had cracked in half. Maybe you are in the early stages and can still save yours with longer screws. Of course, it could be something completely different or nothing at all. It's hard to tell without opening it up, then no warranty for sure.

Yes, the warranty thing is the only reason that I haven't opened it up yet.

Drone_on. If I turn the remote off to initiate RTH, can it be turned back on when the Phantom gets back close to regain control? The start up procedure has you turn the Phantom remote on 1st and after landing turn the phantom off 1st.
Just use the app. Its safer

Reactions: skyhighdiver
Can you guys tell from looking at pictures if there is anything below the buttons that they can hit if they completely come loose?

Can you guys tell from looking at pictures if there is anything below the buttons that they can hit if they completely come loose?
To me it looks like the battery is there, but I haven't seen a complete picture to see if there is risk of piercing a lipo cell. I would guess little or no risk.

I think that you are right Oso. How often does anyone hit the RTH button anyway?

I think that you are right Oso. How often does anyone hit the RTH button anyway?
I have used my RTH only twice in about 200 flights. Both were tests when I first got the P3. Of course, past performance is no guarantee of future results.

You do have back ups. The app for one, and if the app or mobile device has crashed, you could turn off the RC. Turning off the RC would be a last resort and only in a real emergency. Short of that, I would not want to relinquish control for even a short time by shutting down the RC.

Last edited:
Check out this
Check out these pictures inside remote image #6 of the remote take apart. and then the last one is the Lipo.
Thread Gallery - RC Groups

Last edited:
Reactions: Oso
Thanks for the pictures Signal. I am still unclear about what happens if it comes completely loose or if it is already resting on whatever is behind it. Whatever, it still works. I don't think that I will be pushing it just for the sake of seeing what happens though.

Check out this

Check out these pictures inside remote image #6 of the remote take apart. and then the last one is the Lipo.
Thread Gallery - RC Groups
Cool pix. Thanks for sharing that link. I just bookmarked it.

Of course the only thing missing was a picture of the RTH and Power buttons!

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4