Retractable VS Wide Landing Gear?

Reaction score
Hey All!
So we all know that when turning left too fast or in high wind the GoPro gets a bit of the left leg in shot. Is it worth addressing this issue? And if yes (or no - I still want to know) would you advise that I consider retractable landing gear (small extensions between legs and body - weigh a tiny bit) or extra wide (bent out) landing gear? Considering my drone may be loaded with gimbal, gopro, iOSD mini and video output aerial I am near to maximum weight, if not ON it. :D
So yes please your opinion is always appreciated!
Fly safe!
Baldrick

Hey All!
So we all know that when turning left too fast or in high wind the GoPro gets a bit of the left leg in shot. Is it worth addressing this issue? And if yes (or no - I still want to know) would you advise that I consider retractable landing gear (small extensions between legs and body - weigh a tiny bit) or extra wide (bent out) landing gear? Considering my drone may be loaded with gimbal, gopro, iOSD mini and video output aerial I am near to maximum weight, if not ON it. :D
So yes please your opinion is always appreciated!
Fly safe!
Baldrick

For me the extra weight of retractable landing gear as my P2 is already at 1378 g and of course wide gear wouldn't in my case.

If you're shooting in ultra wide in 4K you are going to see not only the landing gear but also the props which depends on fast you turn left and how fast forward you fly and which video resolution you are using. Shooting in medium and narrow will help. Myself I didn't like fisheye so I changed the GoPro's lens to a 5.4mm so now I can shoot wide, medium, narrow and never see the props or landing gear in the video.

A Peau Productions 5.4mm f/2.5 60° 10mp lens which I installed in both my cameras. When I ordered the lens and the lens mount that way I didn't have to separate the lens from the mounting bracket. The total cost for both was $150.00 plus shipping. Yes the cost is higher then some of the other dealers but Peau gives you everything needed where the others don't and I don't recommend RageCam as they are over priced.

The 5.4mm lens is actually a cctv lens you can buy them much cheaper (when available ) just search "cctv lens 5.4mm M12 IR-Cut" lots of links on Alibaba. Occasionally they come up else where but they are usually snapped up quickly

This would solve your problem in not showing the legs or props without adding significant weight. Or you could just select a narrow field of view on the standard GoPro lens

Reactions: Baldrick
The 5.4mm lens is actually a cctv lens you can buy them much cheaper (when available ) just search "cctv lens 5.4mm M12 IR-Cut" lots of links on Alibaba. Occasionally they come up else where but they are usually snapped up quickly

This would solve your problem in not showing the legs or props without adding significant weight. Or you could just select a narrow field of view on the standard GoPro lens

While it is true you can buy the 5.4mm lens elsewhere for less you won't get everything you need. Of course being in the UK you would almost pay double with taxes and shipping from the US. I also mentioned that in post #6 You can still select wide, medium and narrow using this lens. Sometimes when one goes the cheap route you get what you paid for.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers