Retractable Landing Gear on the Standard

Reaction score
Hello All,
I was searching around for aluminum landing gear today when I saw this on Amazon. I looked around the forums. There are lots of discussions about the Advanced and Pro but I didn't see many in the standard. Has anyone tried this mod on their Standard? Thanks.
416nr95g4YL._SY355_.jpg

41vK-UKhGNL._SY355_.jpg

Looks cool - but WHY? Was on another threads.

I could imagine lost aerodynamics, poor RC reception with Phantom antennas being on the legs as is (handling), speed, and less flying time with this mod!

Not to mention what happens when/if it fails on landing - ouch!

Compass needs relocating as well.

All good questions. I thought the same thing since the camera doesn't pivot left or right. I was going to ask whomever responded the same things :)

Ah yes, I forgot to mention that point as to the camera!

No on the props.

There's lots of threads here about this.

These are not like r/c cars, trucks, etc. with lots of 'hop up' parts.

The ESC (firmware), motors, and props are a tuned system and designed to work best with the OEM parts.
You will 'de-tune' the system and performance will suffer.

Stick with OEM flight related parts and accessories only.

Reactions: eaglegoaltender
Saw the 3 props blades also and one must always remember "aerodynamics" with using 3 vs 2. Sure you may go faster with 3 but what's the point of that.

From what I have read in the past and know from my own business practices (industrial fan balancing and design application) - fewer blades = better efficiency. Just think about it for a minute, as it is, the more space between the blades, the less drag and/or flow turbulence there will be - adding a 3rd blade interferes and creates drag + flow turbulence.

More speed likely but less efficiency = faster battery drain and flow turbulence creates a loss in handling.

As mentioned efficiency goes down with more blades. The purpose of 3-4 multiple blades is/was to reduce the diameter of the prop.

This was important when placing multiple engines on wings to obtain ground clearance and space to clear the cabin/fuselage.
It also reduced sound a bit due to reduced tip speeds.

They have no necessity or purpose on our quads.

Reactions: OrderFromChaos
Thanks guys. I wouldn't consider making a mod unless there was a clear upside. Both of the products I posted here I was more curious to know why would you use them? Is there an upside? To both it seems the answer is "no."

So carbon fiber props aren't good for p3s?

Real ones? Or the reinforced ones? I have the real ones, and they're not as good as the plastic. Too rigid and they're loud as hell.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots mobile app

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
stovebayen