Resetting the Home point on PV2+ v3

Reaction score
I tried resetting the home point several times by toggling the s2 switch more than 5 times on my PV2+ v3 the other day ( in NAZA mode ) and nothing changed. Reading some other threads in the forum would suggest there may be some connection with IOC. Does the IOC function need to be checked in Phantom Assistant before I can change the home point with the s2 switch ? Many thanks

You are correct. Check the IOC block then give it a try. Should work then.

Reactions: pelwitz
Once again many thanks for the speedy reply and confirmation :). The reason for the flurry of questions, is I'm off to Wales at the weekend and hope to film along some rivers and waterfalls in the local forest. Ideally I'd prefer to fly in GPS mode, but being realistic the chance of getting and holding 6 sats is most probably remote so have being practicing in Atti mode in addition to trying to understand the conditions and setup for the failsafe features.

Last weekend I'd tried to reset the home point ( GPS mode ) whilst changing position within a field. I was just about to land when the PV went into going home mode ( low battery, hence my previous question ). Unfortunately she returned to the original home point , which wouldn't have been a problem except there was now a 90' tree in the flight path. I hoped it would miss and thought all was lost as I saw the props chopping leaves and the PV fall to the ground from 60'. Fortunately it shot back up to 60' and made a controlled failsafe landing with minimal damage ( slightly bent compass leg and a popped compass cover that I found the following day. I've checked her out in assist and all the numbers look good and 3 fights on all is working as before. I consider myself exceedingly lucky :). Had I realised at the time, I believe I should have flipped the s1 switch into Atti mode and I should have regained control. We live and we learn :).

One final question with regard to resetting the home point. I see that there is a Dynamic Home Point setting within the DJI Vision App, which will automatically reset the home point within flight, but I have not been able to find out how often or under what conditions this might occur. Do you have any info on this ?

Once again, many thanks for your help, it's much appreciated,

Best Regards

The dynamic home point is really counting on your phone or tablets GPS system and how good it is. The updates are done every 2-3 seconds. Reguardless of where you fly I would recommend seeing if you get 6 or more satellites and do the lock and home lock and try to fly GPS. I have flown many hours and to me it's just to easy to lose visual of that little rascal in the sky. The radar tab is a valuable tool but GPS is always my safety. Has brought her back a many of time when my eyes have lost her. Especially up around 3-400 feet she get small.

Once again, many thanks for that. I didn't realize it relied on the smartphones GPS. I did get a chance yesterday evening to try out the IOC function as the home lock function looks really useful. Have to say I didn't have too much success. Initially the home lock seemed to work, but after switching it off to see if normal control resumed and switching back to home lock, pulling the stick back made the PV go off in another direction and not return towards my home location. I tried several times without success. I also tried enabling the Dynamic Home Point in case this also needed to be enabled, but this also didn't help. In fact as I pulled the stick back, the PV would initially move in a straight line then suddenly change direction ~20 degrees. I've not seen erratic behaviour from the PV before so decided to call it a day with this and disable Dynamic Home Point and IOC. I'll have a play when I have a bit more time.

Also, even when I had IOC enabled, toggling the s2 switch didn't change the home point location. Maybe there is a minimum distance the PV needs to be from the original location before I am able to do this. Again something to check out another day.

I did have some success though, I noticed that I did get the 10sec warning when the battery level was low, but no audio warning until it started to return home. I've obviously missed this before. I also proved to myself that I was able to over ride the fail safe return by flipping the s1 switch to Atti.

So all in all she seems to be working OK in GPS, Atti and Failsafe and I'm able to over ride fail safe in an emergency. Other than making sure I set the correct RTH altitude where I intend to film, just in case :), that should be all the functionality I need for this trip. Of course there's always the 'unexpected' , but you can only try to be prepared for that :).

Once again thanks for all your advice,

Best Regards

Once again, many thanks for that. I didn't realize it relied on the smartphones GPS. I did get a chance yesterday evening to try out the IOC function as the home lock function looks really useful. Have to say I didn't have too much success. Initially the home lock seemed to work, but after switching it off to see if normal control resumed and switching back to home lock, pulling the stick back made the PV go off in another direction and not return towards my home location. I tried several times without success. I also tried enabling the Dynamic Home Point in case this also needed to be enabled, but this also didn't help. In fact as I pulled the stick back, the PV would initially move in a straight line then suddenly change direction ~20 degrees. I've not seen erratic behaviour from the PV before so decided to call it a day with this and disable Dynamic Home Point and IOC. I'll have a play when I have a bit more time.

Also, even when I had IOC enabled, toggling the s2 switch didn't change the home point location. Maybe there is a minimum distance the PV needs to be from the original location before I am able to do this. Again something to check out another day.

I did have some success though, I noticed that I did get the 10sec warning when the battery level was low, but no audio warning until it started to return home. I've obviously missed this before. I also proved to myself that I was able to over ride the fail safe return by flipping the s1 switch to Atti.

So all in all she seems to be working OK in GPS, Atti and Failsafe and I'm able to over ride fail safe in an emergency. Other than making sure I set the correct RTH altitude where I intend to film, just in case :), that should be all the functionality I need for this trip. Of course there's always the 'unexpected' , but you can only try to be prepared for that :).

Once again thanks for all your advice,

Best Regards
The sudden change of direction in home lock could be as a result of returning to within 10 - 15m of the home point when it will immediately switch to course lock automatically. So best to use home lock when you are some distance away only. I suggest you familiarise yourself with course lock too because I find it far more useful than home lock. All my flying is done with a combination of course lock and GPS modes

Peleitz,
You are on the right track. I recommend you look at the YouTube videos on the IOC function as we'll as home lock, course lock and the fail,safe functions. Do a search on Phantom home lock.. Etc. those videos help explain a lot and it's easy to follow the how to then. Enjoy and we'll see you around.

The sudden change of direction in home lock could be as a result of returning to within 10 - 15m of the home point when it will immediately switch to course lock automatically. So best to use home lock when you are some distance away only. I suggest you familiarise yourself with course lock too because I find it far more useful than home lock. All my flying is done with a combination of course lock and GPS modes

Hi Ross
Sorry for the late reply, just getting back into the swing of things after the trip to Wales. This would explain the PVs behaviour as I would have been working within that range. Many thanks :)

Peleitz,
You are on the right track. I recommend you look at the YouTube videos on the IOC function as we'll as home lock, course lock and the fail,safe functions. Do a search on Phantom home lock.. Etc. those videos help explain a lot and it's easy to follow the how to then. Enjoy and we'll see you around.
Thanks RoyVa and likewise sorry for the delay in getting back to you, readjusting after the trip to Wales :). Thanks for the tips to the vids, I shall check these out as I'd like to get to grips with the IOC etc.
The trip went well and I was pleased with the vids and pics that I got. Some beautiful scenery from the cottage which you'd never have seen without the PV at 100'-160' above the tree line. The shots down at the river were also good, although there was a bit of strange behaviour from the PV. It would twitch from time to time, as would be the case when flipping from Atti to GPS mode. Also there were times when I'd bank gently left or right, centre the stick and she'd continue in that direction. I was showing 6-7 satellites in GPS mode, but having checked her out today in an open field and all was fine, I have to assume that flying along the river in a mountainous area with trees either side, I must have been losing the minimum number of satellites and she was flipping between GPS and Atti mode. Maybe the app is slower at responding to this than the PV. Unfortunately being partially colour blind I can't tell the difference between the green and yellow LEDs so can only assume this was happening. It's a shame DJI didn't use blue/green or blue/ yellow LEDs as I know of quite a few people that have a similar problem with these two colours with LEDs and LCD displays.

One other observation and maybe I should start a new thread was the RTH altitude. Flying between river and tree canopy would have meant the PV ascending into the trees in a fail safe condition. I tried to reset this to 5m or 10m which would have been perfect, but it would always reset to the default 20m ( 66' ). It's not a major issue and I always fly within visual range and within battery limits, but it would have been nice to reset this in the case of a loss of RF signal.

Take care

BRs

Glad you had a good and safe trip. Will be looking for some of those videos when you get em ready. When you really get into this videography you'll be out and about how and start thinking of fly and getting different shots. Planning ahead then you know your hooked. ENJOY!

Glad you had a good and safe trip. Will be looking for some of those videos when you get em ready. When you really get into this videography you'll be out and about how and start thinking of fly and getting different shots. Planning ahead then you know your hooked. ENJOY!
:) .... it's too late .... I've already been infected :) :)

Hi, I have 2 Vision 2+ v3. Both setup in naza mode, both with IOC on, both with Dynamic Home Point off. One will allow me to reset a new HP in flight maybe 1 out of 20 tries, the other not at all. I believe I am doing it all correct. Toggle S2 from course lock to home lock more than 5 times, nothing. Tried different speeds of toggling and nothing. CL won't reset either. Toggle S2 from Off to CL 5 or more times and nothing. I was told to toggle from Off to HL to reset, but that is for Phantom Mode not Naza. Everything else is perfect. Guess maybe it's time for Litchi, because circling a POI is what I am trying to do by resetting my HP. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Jack

CAN'T recommend litchi too highly.

Crecommend litchi too
Hi, I have 2 Vision 2+ v3. Both setup in naza mode, both with IOC on, both with Dynamic Home Point off. One will allow me to reset a new HP in flight maybe 1 out of 20 tries, the other not at all. I believe I am doing it all correct. Toggle S2 from course lock to home lock more than 5 times, nothing. Tried different speeds of toggling and nothing. CL won't reset either. Toggle S2 from Off to CL 5 or more times and nothing. I was told to toggle from Off to HL to reset, but that is for Phantom Mode not Naza. Everything else is perfect. Guess maybe it's time for Litchi, because circling a POI is what I am trying to do by resetting my HP. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Jack

OTE="nynelyvz, post: 530075, member: 34747"]Hi, I have 2 Vision 2+ v3. Both setup in naza mode, both with IOC on, both with Dynamic Home Point off. One will allow me to reset a new HP in flight maybe 1 out of 20 tries, the other not at all. I believe I am doing it all correct. Toggle S2 from course lock to home lock more than 5 times, nothing. Tried different speeds of toggling and nothing. CL won't reset either. Toggle S2 from Off to CL 5 or more times and nothing. I was told to toggle from Off to HL to reset, but that is for Phantom Mode not Naza. Everything else is perfect. Guess maybe it's time for Litchi, because circling a POI is what I am trying to do by resetting my HP. Anyone else have this problem?
Thanks
Jack[/QUOTE]
Can

Thanks
Jack
Hi Jack
Thank god ... I'm not going crazy, thought I was doing something wrong as well :). Tried all of these options again the other week. Like yourself, toggling the s2 switch in different ways doesn't change the home point. As for CL, I thought that seemed to work the first time I tried. But I couldn't reset that either by switching s2 off, changing direction and then switching CL back on. The PV always went back to the original CL direction. When I change batteries, I power the PV down, leave the controller and app running, insert the new battery, power up PV and wait for a re-connection. So I thought that maybe something within the setup was remembering the CL direction. So 2 weeks later I tried once again. Flew the PV in a different direction to two weeks previously, set s2 to CL and she immediately shot off in the original direction from 2 weeks earlier :( .

The only saving grace is that HL seems to work OK as does Dynamic Home Point.

One other strange thing I noticed when filming in Wales a few weeks back by the river was that I was unable to reset the RTH altitude to less that the default 20m ( 66' ) . Wanted to set it to about 10m so that if the PV went into fail safe mode she wouldn't shoot up into the tree canopy above, but every time I set it to any value less than 20m it would default back to 20m. Just something to be aware of.

BRs Pete

Hi Pete. I haven't tried changing the RTH altitude. I will next time and let you know. But for me anytime I start a flight it always registers the CL in the direction it is pointing, so I don't have that issue. I just can't change either in flight. And my HL and Dynamic Home Point work perfectly. Just odd how it will work in very rare instances but not consistantly. Oh and my Dynamic HP will only work if my location on my tablet is on. One thing I did notice while messing with it, and you may know this already, is the outer ring on the radar circle will be red with DHP off and green with it on.
Jack

Hi Pete. I haven't tried changing the RTH altitude. I will next time and let you know. But for me anytime I start a flight it always registers the CL in the direction it is pointing, so I don't have that issue. I just can't change either in flight. And my HL and Dynamic Home Point work perfectly. Just odd how it will work in very rare instances but not consistantly. Oh and my Dynamic HP will only work if my location on my tablet is on. One thing I did notice while messing with it, and you may know this already, is the outer ring on the radar circle will be red with DHP off and green with it on.
Jack
Hi Jack, thanks for the heads up about the radar outer ring colour, I wasn't aware of that. Also interesting what you say about the CL registering in the direction that you start the flight. Thinking back to when I tried the CL, the PV would have been pointing in pretty much the same direction at start up and when I selected CL. Might explain why it seemed to work. Looks like we might be in for some decent weather this weekend, ( sun and relatively calm - makes a change in this area of the world :) ) , so will have another play and keep you posted.
Have a good weekend, BRs Pete :)

Hi Jack, thanks for the heads up about the radar outer ring colour, I wasn't aware of that. Also interesting what you say about the CL registering in the direction that you start the flight. Thinking back to when I tried the CL, the PV would have been pointing in pretty much the same direction at start up and when I selected CL. Might explain why it seemed to work. Looks like we might be in for some decent weather this weekend, ( sun and relatively calm - makes a change in this area of the world :) ) , so will have another play and keep you posted.
Have a good weekend, BRs Pete :)
Yeah Pete, it is my understanding that while it is warming up and aquiring satelites, it will flash green rapidly twice. First is HL and the second is the CL direction. So point it in the direction you want CL to be before you power it up. Unfortunately it sounds like neither of us can change it in flight. My problem anyway.

Last edited:
Yeah Pete, it is my understanding that while it is warming up and aquiring satelites, it will flash green rapidly twice. First is HL and the second is the CL direction. So point it in the direction you want CL to be before you power it up. Unfortunately it sounds like neither of us can change it in flight. My problem anyway.
Hi Jack, I can confirm mine does the same thing. I powered the PV up three times, each time facing a different direction. Flew off normally then went to CL mode and on each occasion moving the stick forward resulted in the PV moving to the direction it was facing at power up. At least it's consistent, but does limit the functionality of the CL mode :( .

Also tried DHP again, but this time I couldn't get it to work. I check this out by walking maybe 100m from my original power up position, flying the PV to another position, then flipping s1 into fail safe. Every time she headed for the original home point. I need to check out the smart phone settings as it definitely worked when I tried it a few weeks back. Also confirmed that I couldn't reset the RTH altitude to less than 20m.

I'll need to check through the manuals again to see if I haven't missed some of this and maybe fire an e-mail to DJI.

Have a good week, BRs Pete

Hi Jack, was just reading through the similar threads below and came across the following from
'sar104' :

"Yes - it does matter which positions you flip between. In Naza mode (IOC on), flipping between OFF and CL resets course lock heading, while flipping between CL and HL resets home point. For instructions on Naza mode you have to consult the Naza user manual or quick start manual.

Home point reset works even in Phantom mode (no IOC) and requires flipping from top to bottom."

I've never got resetting the home point to change in Phantom mode, but it might be worth trying some of the above. To date you are the only one to have mentioned you have a 'v3' and there could be subtle differences between v1 and v2, although it doesn't seem to make sense why there should be. I need to download the Naza user manual and have a detailed read. :)

Hi Jack, was just reading through the similar threads below and came across the following from
'sar104' :

"Yes - it does matter which positions you flip between. In Naza mode (IOC on), flipping between OFF and CL resets course lock heading, while flipping between CL and HL resets home point. For instructions on Naza mode you have to consult the Naza user manual or quick start manual.

Home point reset works even in Phantom mode (no IOC) and requires flipping from top to bottom."

I've never got resetting the home point to change in Phantom mode, but it might be worth trying some of the above. To date you are the only one to have mentioned you have a 'v3' and there could be subtle differences between v1 and v2, although it doesn't seem to make sense why there should be. I need to download the Naza user manual and have a detailed read. :)
Hey Pete. I tried resetting the the RTH altitude and 60' was the lowest I could. I think that is pretty close to your 20m. On the DHP make sure you have GPS on your device and Location is on. I just check it by flipping S2 to HL and pulling back on the right stick. It should come to you. Easier than going into failsafe. Also look for the green ring around the radar icon. If its not green, then its not funtioning. And yeah in Phantom mode resetting HP is toggling S2 top to bottom, and that did work for me, although I haven't been in Phantom mode in a few months. Maybe I should try it and see if it still does work. But Naza is exactly like the post you paisted. HL, toggle between CL and HL 5+x, and CL Off to CL 5+x. I guess we have the procedure, but it does not work. Well at least most of the time it doesn't. Every now and the it will. 1 out of 10x maybe. I'm just afraid I will wear out the S2 switch. lol. Maybe its the software and the next update will fix it. IDK.Just going to live without it for now. But am seriously concidering the Litchi App. Guess that would solve it. My main interest for wanting to reset HP is POI. And that still requires rotating or yawing the quad manually. With the Litchi I think the camera will stay on the POI.
Hey where are you anyway? I am in Idaho. Some beautiful scenery here for sure.
Regards
Jack

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4