P3 Firmware Reset all to stop possible autopilot problem

Reaction score
My P3S on take-off has a mild vibration that does show up on the videos I take.
Background: I recently lost my AC in the canopy of a forest close to the home point and after a 3 hour search with the help of handheld GPS, using the last transmitted co-ordinates found it in on a branch 30meters from HP with motors off but camera working (no outward damage to any part of drone. Why it did it and what it did is not part of this post. A local friend and manufacturer of fixed wing UAV’s ( ALTI Unmanned Aircraft - Designed for Security and Surveillance ) after he looking at the vibration, suggested that it is not a hardware problem, but software, and could be an autopilot problem. As a first step he and one of the technicians suggested I reset “everything”, recalibrate all and download latest firmware. If it does not fix problem, send in to be repaired. What does reset all mean, and what do I have to do? What do forum members think?

Did you replace all props with new? That obviously would be #1. Spin the motors quickly by hand to feel and listen for binding or grinding. If found, try to find why, debris, bad bearings, etc.
If it flew fine before, DON'T update firmware. IMU calibration could be useful but compass would not cause your problem.
Hope these help but sure others with P3s will be along soon.

My P3S on take-off has a mild vibration that does show up on the videos I take.
Background: I recently lost my AC in the canopy of a forest close to the home point and after a 3 hour search with the help of handheld GPS, using the last transmitted co-ordinates found it in on a branch 30meters from HP with motors off but camera working (no outward damage to any part of drone. Why it did it and what it did is not part of this post. A local friend and manufacturer of fixed wing UAV’s ( ALTI Unmanned Aircraft - Designed for Security and Surveillance ) after he looking at the vibration, suggested that it is not a hardware problem, but software, and could be an autopilot problem. As a first step he and one of the technicians suggested I reset “everything”, recalibrate all and download latest firmware. If it does not fix problem, send in to be repaired. What does reset all mean, and what do I have to do? What do forum members think?
did you try a hard reset?

Thank Capt & Frank. I will look up and do a hard reset, but as it is my first, do I have to do a backup of anything or can I overwrite everything within the reset instruction Aand start from scratch. Could be a good experience exercis!

I would suggest do not update firmware, but change props or balance all four props on the AC.

I use carbon fiber propeller on my Phantom 3 SE. It just flies better with those propellers vs the original.

I use carbon fiber propeller on my Phantom 3 SE. It just flies better with those propellers vs the original.
I loved the idea of carbon fiber props but the ones I bought on eBay for a different brand of quad were flimsy, out of balance, and offered no advantages whatsoever. Hope the DJI ones are better.

This is not for everybody. I down loaded an app that checks and measures vibrations. With props off, measure the same point on the drone's arm with the motors running. See if something is off. Then I did it with the props on and motors running. There was a big difference in vibrations between motors. Switch out the bad prop and see if it gets better. Even balanced props make a difference when moving them from one motor to another.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic