Report a low flying aircraft

Reaction score
I was out walking today, no good for flying, when a single engine prop light aircraft flew over me, it was absolutely and definitely below 400ft, and nowhere near an airport.
I watched it fly towards a well known local crag, which is only just over 400 ft, and then bank hard right and flew away. It was definitely below the crag. I often fly in this area, this plane was on top of me before I knew it, had I been flying we could have had a problem.
So I filed a report with the CAA (UK).
Did I do right?, or am I just a snitch. I feel sure a light aircraft pilot seeing a drone above 400 ft would report.

We are allowed to fly low......below 400' . I have been down to about 50' over open country on many occasions . It's part of flying. I have also been on a fell in the Lake District where aircraft have been below me in the valley...:)

Did you get the Registration of the aircraft (G-XXXX)??
Sadly no, as I said it was on top of me so fast, and my first thoughts were Wow, and it was away before I thought about it. I gave the CAA a very good description including my lat and long location, the exact time, and the bearing of the craft, I will report back if I hear anything.
I do not want a war between drone pilots and light aircraft pilots, but I feel sure if I was spotted above 400 ft near a light aircraft , then I would get reported.

Reactions: Philltayl
Sadly no, as I said it was on top of me so fast, and my first thoughts were Wow, and it was away before I thought about it. I gave the CAA a very good description including my lat and long location, the exact time, and the bearing of the craft, I will report back if I hear anything.
I do not want a war between drone pilots and light aircraft pilots, but I feel sure if I was spotted above 400 ft near a light aircraft , then I would get reported.

The CAA have neither the resource or the inclination to really do anything. Where exactly were you when this occurred?

We are allowed to fly low......below 400' . I have been down to about 50' over open country on many occasions . It's part of flying. I have also been on a fell in the Lake District where aircraft have been below me in the valley...:)
OK thanks, I had assumed we had to keep to our separate corridors of altitude, except on approach to and from the landing sites, which is why we are not allowed to fly near these sites.
I live near the Lake district and am a fell runner, and have regularly seen fighter pilots below me, but I do not fly in the lakes.

OK thanks, I had assumed we had to keep to our separate corridors of altitude, except on approach to and from the landing sites, which is why we are not allowed to fly near these sites.
I live near the Lake district and am a fell runner, and have regularly seen fighter pilots below me, but I do not fly in the lakes.

Fighter Jets (RAF) are a law unto their own. I love to see them below me following the terrain at about 50-100ft at 300kts or so.

Reactions: Jayfdee
Fighter Jets (RAF) are a law unto their own. I love to see them below me following the terrain at about 50-100ft at 300kts or so.
Me too, I have no problems with them, and it is a great thrill to see them so close, I can actually often see the pilot ,but they do not wave, Dunmail raise is a favourite route for them and if you climb the very steep Steel fell, they come very close, and maybe 100 ft below you.

Military aircraft in an LFA (Low Flying Area) are good down to 250'and in some places 75' the flow in LFA's is clearly marked on CAA charts.

Me too, I have no problems with them, and it is a great thrill to see them so close, I can actually often see the pilot ,but they do not wave, Dunmail raise is a favourite route for them and if you climb the very steep Steel fell, they come very close, and maybe 100 ft below you.
The Air Force pilots in Australia wave, tip their wings. They come past where I am at what seems like eye levels (over the ocean but close into the coastline). It's a shame they aren't flying the F111's now, it was awesome to see one of those in flight.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31