Replacing S2 switch

Reaction score
I dropped my controlled and broke the S2 switch.

Used it several times afterwards without any issues.

I fly in Phantom mode, instead of NAZA mode, so I don't really even know what the S2 switch is for. I had always just kept it in off position.

Today I replaced the switch with an identical 3-way switch I bought online.

I'm kinda an amateur when it comes to soldering, but it looks good.

Now I'm wondering, how do I know if I did it correctly?

I don't have an ohm-meter or any sort of electronics testing tool.

Any advice on how to tell if I did this correctly?

Thanks!

Greg

Just make sure you solder joins are solid and not at risk of shorting out and you should be good. Sounds like you got it right. Fortunately you can check all this in the Phantom assistant software. I think you need to switch to NazaM mode but you can switch right back. Go to the IOC tab and make sure that when you flip the switches it changes on screen to the corresponding modes.

Perfect. Will do. Thanks. They make it sound so scary, to switch to NAZA-M mode, tat I have been reluctant.

But, if I am understanding things properly (and their manual is not very clear about this), in Phantom 2 mode, the S2 switch doesn't do anything, except allow you to resent the home point lock (by going back and forth 5 times). And the S1 switch doesn't do anything except allow you to enable the Failsafe function and allow you to enter Compass Calibration mode.

It sounds like you have to be in NAZA-M mode to use Course Lock, Home Point Lock, and ATTI modes. Right?

I might need to go ahead and make that leap of faith anyway...

ghinson said:
Perfect. Will do. Thanks. They make it sound so scary, to switch to NAZA-M mode, tat I have been reluctant.

But, if I am understanding things properly (and their manual is not very clear about this), in Phantom 2 mode, the S2 switch doesn't do anything, except allow you to resent the home point lock (by going back and forth 5 times). And the S1 switch doesn't do anything except allow you to enable the Failsafe function and allow you to enter Compass Calibration mode.

It sounds like you have to be in NAZA-M mode to use Course Lock, Home Point Lock, and ATTI modes. Right?

I might need to go ahead and make that leap of faith anyway...

100% correct. The lights blink differently in Naza mode as well. The reason for the warnings is the Phantom will behave very differently in each of these modes. And it's pretty easy to fly with a switch not in the default position if you're not used to checking them. Once you get familiar with them and know to double check everything, they're pretty useful to have.

One last question, is this also 100% correct for Phantom 1.1.1? I have two friends who fly in Phantom mode, and not NAZA mode, and they swear their S1 switch already works for ATTI vs GPS flight, that they notice a difference in these modes. With the P2, I have never seen a difference.

ghinson said:
One last question, is this also 100% correct for Phantom 1.1.1? I have two friends who fly in Phantom mode, and not NAZA mode, and they swear their S1 switch already works for ATTI vs GPS flight, that they notice a difference in these modes. With the P2, I have never seen a difference.

Not sure but by what you're describing it sounds like the P1. The P1 is NAZA mode out of the box and doesn't have a Phantom mode. If you're in Phantom mode, you only have GPS mode at your disposal. You have to enable Naza to get ATTI and IOC modes.

If I had to guess, DJI did this as they further "consumerize" their product making it less prone to user error out of the box.

ianwood said:
If I had to guess, DJI did this as they further "consumerize" their product making it less prone to user error out of the box.

That's the nice word for "dumbing down". Personally I wouldn't mind if people could only fly these things AFTER they had spent considerable time learning the things that NEED to be known about these machines BEFORE people start flying them. It's the commercial desire to sell more that drives this lowering of the threshold to buy and fly these things. Unfortunately this will cause lots of people to fly them without the most basic knowledge about what they are actually doing which is piloting a flying machine with the potential to cause significant harm in many ways if not handled properly.

Although NAZA mode is more complex it's exactly this complexity with more features that actually makes it safer to fly the Phantom IF one understands its features and knows how to use them. But that takes time and makes it necessary for people to actually READ the manuals... until they fully understand them.

Unfortunately a vast segment of the population works along the principle of:

"If everything else fails, read the manual".

Which is not good for anything even remotely concerned with aviation.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hirehackers