Replacing Motor. Would using PowerPoles work?

Reaction score
I let a friend use my Phantom 2 Vision and the landing was into relatively tall grass - it tipped over and he didn't kill the motors really fast. Net effect is that one motor appears to have been damaged and does not rotate easily.

So I bought a few replacement motors (replace the one and have a spare or two on hand at all times).

I'm pretty sure I can do the replacement in the standard fashion (split the shell, dismount the motor, de-solder the old, solder the new, mount the new motor, close the shell).

What I don't like is the soldering. Overall the replacement looks like it could be done fairly easily in the field with the exception of the soldering - and I'd like to be able to do the change without having to go where I can use a soldering iron.

So my question is whether it would work for me to use Powerpoles instead of de-soldering/soldering.

Here is a link to some PowerPoles from the vendor I've used in the past for other PowerPole applications: http://www.powerwerx.com/anderson-power ... pole-sets/

I would still be splitting the shell and dismounting the motor, but then I'd be doing the following:

1. Snip the power leads/wire off the old motor quite near to the motor itself - net effect should be three wires still soldered to the board.
2. Attach PowerPoles to the exposed ends of the old wires and to the wires on the new motor.
3. Snap the PowerPoles together.

Having not yet opened/split the shell of the quadcopter it is not clear to me that I can fit the PowerPoles into the shell, but it may be that I can extend the wires on the new motor so that the connected PowerPoles could be moved further into the quadcopter.

To make all motors uniformly easy to switch out I would need to cut the wiring to the other current motors and put PowerPoles and extensions in those locations as well.

Net effect is that I could potentially change out motors relatively quickly and easily - especially if I put PowerPoles on my spare motors in advance.

But I'm a bit concerned about the space issues. I'm also wondering if anyone knows of another connection system which is less bulky but still makes a secure connection with effectively no loss in power conduction?

Thank you in advance.

I'm pretty confident that you will have a hard time fiitng three per arm into the phantom. There are motors that already come with bullet plugs. All you then have to do is solder female ones to your ESC leads.
Soldering is not hard.
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=7943

Thank you. And yeah, those skinny arms make it look like it'd be difficult to fit those Powerpoles in there.

So it's probably not a good idea to try that.

Look at 3mm bullet connectors. They fit. I have all 4 of my motors replaced, and the wires were cut to accommodate bullet connectors on each end. But, they need to be soldiered on-and that's 24 bullet connectors. However, when it comes time to change out an engine-it's a 10 minute job.
Most hobby shops have the male and female gold 3mm bullet connectors.

Thank you. I will seriously consider the bullet connectors. It sounds like they may fit nicely with my interests.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20