Replacing A Motor

Reaction score
A little while ago on take-off, my first DJI Phantom 3 Professional tipped forward and the left front propeller caught the grass. The motor started smoking and so I shut it down. I'm pretty sure the motor is toast.

Can anyone tell me if this is the correct motor to replace the one on the front left of a Phantom 3 Professional? It's the one with the black dot on top of the shaft.

It is from Helipal and the number is: DJIP3-095 2312A Motor (CW) DJI-Parts-P3-95

Is there typically anything else I should buy, or is it likely just the motor?

Thanks for any help.

Bud

Attachments

• Front_Left_Motor.JPG
    Front_Left_Motor.JPG
    77.8 KB · Views: 478
  • Motor_2.JPG
    Motor_2.JPG
    95 KB · Views: 463
Thank you Digdat0 and you too alokbhargava.

Here's a couple of photos, the colored photo is the motor in my Phantom 3 Professional and the other is from the article that Digdat0 mentioned.

According to the photograph in the article, my motor has the same configuration on the bottom, (rounded mounting base), so I'm assuming that the 2312A is the correct one for my machine. The burnt out motor on my Phantom has a black dot on the top of the shaft so I'm assuming it's the motor on the right in the photo provided. I believe it rotates clockwise, is this correct?

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Bud

And each type has two versions: CW and CCW

One rotates clockwise and other counter clockwise.

Sent from my iPhone using PhantomPilots

Attachments

• Motors.JPG
    Motors.JPG
    31.4 KB · Views: 368
The real difference is the (shaft) thread direction between the black-dotted one and the non-marked as a BLDC motor will spin in either direction depending on the wiring sequence.

To prevent prop loss always replace with a similar marked one.

Reactions: Fishie
The real difference is the (shaft) thread direction between the black-dotted one and the non-marked as a BLDC motor will spin in either direction depending on the wiring sequence.

True if the polarity is "reversed" motor will rotate in the reversed direction and the mounted prop will loosen and fly away. It's necessary that we use the right motor.

It's not the polarity but the phase sequencing.
You can't change the output polarity.

Reactions: Fishie

Attachments

• IMG_0911.JPG
    IMG_0911.JPG
    454.3 KB · Views: 391
  • IMG_0912.JPG
    IMG_0912.JPG
    442.1 KB · Views: 363
Yes these are 2312A types of motors. May be I misunderstood your first pictures. And they don't have black dots or black shafts

Anyway you know how to pickup the correct motor now.

Reactions: Matchlock
Hello, and thank you for your reply. That's what I thought they were and so I ordered one of them. It has a black dot on top of the motor shaft so it's one that rotates clockwise.

I hope that's all there is wrong with it. I don't see any damage to the wires coming from the motor or any other damage anywhere so I am hoping the damage to the motor is localized, and a new motor will do the trick. I have to go to the hospital on Wednesday so it will have to wait a bit for repair anyway.

Regards, and thanks again.
ps
I see that your link goes to motors for the P3 Standard. Will the motors in your link fit my Phantom 3 Professional?

Hello, and thank you for your reply. That's what I thought they were and so I ordered one of them. It has a black dot on top of the motor shaft so it's one that rotates clockwise.

I hope that's all there is wrong with it. I don't see any damage to the wires coming from the motor or any other damage anywhere so I am hoping the damage to the motor is localized, and a new motor will do the trick. I have to go to the hospital on Wednesday so it will have to wait a bit for repair anyway.

Regards, and thanks again.
ps
I see that your link goes to motors for the P3 Standard. Will the motors in your link fit my Phantom 3 Professional?

based on what you shared, i think that should do it. When doing the repair, just take your time (hope your hospital thing goes well!).

The p3 standard and adv/pro share the same motor/mainboard, the big difference is camera and Wifi vs Lightbridge, but the motors are the same. The key is just making sure you know the right version of the motor.

keep posting if we can help!

Reactions: Matchlock
A million thanks for the kind reply. I'll keep you posted.

Bud

based on what you shared, i think that should do it. When doing the repair, just take your time (hope your hospital thing goes well!).

The p3 standard and adv/pro share the same motor/mainboard, the big difference is camera and Wifi vs Lightbridge, but the motors are the same. The key is just making sure you know the right version of the motor.

keep posting if we can help!

You took the words out of my mouth. Thanks for explaining this to others. For my P4 it appears that since it uses a special shaft adapter, you can use any motor and then add on the appropriate twist and lock shaft adapter.

You're certainly right about that. I've opened them before and all the pops, cracks and other noises really sets one back thinking that something has broke. It can sure make an old man's hair even greyer, that's for sure.

Bud

The hard part is opening the beast. You're almost done ;-)

You're certainly right about that. I've opened them before and all the pops, cracks and other noises really sets one back thinking that something has broke. It can sure make an old man's hair even greyer, that's for sure.

Bud

I remember using many pieces of cutlery.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic