Replacement Propellers Too Tight

Reaction score
I just picked up two packs of replacement propellers from Amazon, OEM Dji plastic propellers, same model number, (DJI and 9450 on the propellers themselves) and they look exactly like the ones that came with the Phantom 3 Pro. However, while those spin on with little effort, these ones take a huge amount of force to get on. The grey ones are too tight to move at all, and the blacks are better, but still take much more effort then the stock ones.

Amazon.com: 2 Pairs DJI Genuine Plastic 9450 Self-tightening Propellers for Phantom 3 OEM in New Clear Pack: Camera & Photo

Has anyone else encountered this? I assume I just got a bad batch, and am returning, but all 8 of them had this issue.

Check out the reviews at the above page. A few of the recent buyers are saying the props are knockoff props. Do you have a photo of the package them came in?

The package should look like the props on the bottom in this photo:

props.png

I just saw that top review.

They are not exactly the same as the bottom package, but pretty close, with the DJI branding. If they are knockoffs, they are pretty well done knockoffs.

UPDATE: After checking out more reviews (Which I should have done before. I saw DJI under store name and didn't look any further) it seems as though they have updated the packaging for the knockoff so it looks like the real deal. They even have the same model and DJI stenciling on the props.

Attachments

• IMG_3109.JPG
    IMG_3109.JPG
    25.9 KB · Views: 394
Last edited:
RotorLogic sells authenticate DJI parts. I see their props are out of stock on Amazon at the moment, but they are available on eBay.

Does he know they go on in reverse direction? I don't why but when I first saw this post all I could think was the props were being cross-threaded in a clockwise direction. :eek:

Does he know they go on in reverse direction? I don't why but when I first saw this post all I could think was the props were being cross-threaded in a clockwise direction. :eek:
It they are indeed knockoffs, the thread pitch could be wrong causing the issue of not being able to spin them on.

On a side note, it would be a good idea to check the balance of each prop with a Du Bro regardless if they are genuine or not.
It's very rare to get properly balanced props out of the pack...so to speak.

On a side note, it would be a good idea to check the balance of each prop with a Du Bro regardless if they are genuine or not
And, a side note to your side note -- don't use these props if they are knockoffs. It would be better to return them and get genuine DJI props.

Reactions: bobmyers
And, a side note to your side note -- don't use these props if they are knockoffs. It would be better to return them and get genuine DJI props.

On a side note to msinger's side note to John Buckle's side note........ah forget it I done forgot what I was going to say. LOL!

I just picked up two packs of replacement propellers from Amazon, OEM Dji plastic propellers, same model number, (DJI and 9450 on the propellers themselves) and they look exactly like the ones that came with the Phantom 3 Pro. However, while those spin on with little effort, these ones take a huge amount of force to get on. The grey ones are too tight to move at all, and the blacks are better, but still take much more effort then the stock ones.

Amazon.com: 2 Pairs DJI Genuine Plastic 9450 Self-tightening Propellers for Phantom 3 OEM in New Clear Pack: Camera & Photo

Has anyone else encountered this? I assume I just got a bad batch, and am returning, but all 8 of them had this issue.

Yes I ordered those from Amazon and noticed they are very tight screwing them on.
Just use the tool to hold the motor and crank them all the way down.
I have been using them for about a month and the bird flies exactly the same.
I actually like the tight fit, no way will they become loose in flight which I think is the cause of many crashes.

Yes I ordered those from Amazon and noticed they are very tight screwing them on.
Just use the tool to hold the motor and crank them all the way down.
I have been using them for about a month and the bird flies exactly the same.
I actually like the tight fit, no way will they become loose in flight which I think is the cause of many crashes.
You should NEVER have to use the tool to INSTALL the props. That's for taking them off.
Properly fitted and tightened (by hand), the current type of props don't seem to fall off. That was the metal hub version.

You should NEVER have to use the tool to INSTALL the props.
You'd need to either use the tool or hold the motor in your hand so it does not turn. Using the tool is perfectly fine though. It's important to make sure the props are not over tightened though.

Since september I have had 4 P3A models: two old type and two new type (W322A). On both new type models with 2312A motors some of the gray props also did not turn smoothly. The first P3A had one prop and on the new P3A I received yesterday two gray props do not rotate freely: the last few turns I have to rotate them manually. Besides this, there are no problems attaching or removing them. I do not need the new (plastic) tool to tighten or loosen them.

Maybe the new props are more tight?

You'd need to either use the tool or hold the motor in your hand so it does not turn. Using the tool is perfectly fine though. It's important to make sure the props are not over tightened though.
Oh, I probably should have not been so proscriptive... If you don't have the strength to do a 1/8 turn after resistance is felt, then you should use the tool. Somebody with arthritis or just a smallish person without Mongo hands might not have the strength.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik