replaced V+ gimbal cable and then this happend...:

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I could really use your help on this:

In short: gimbal separated, ribbon was ripped apart, no other physical damage to gimbal inspected.
I ordered a replacement ribbon cable, installed it according to many youtube videos, and reattached gimbal to phantom.

Now this happens:

- the phantom does not complain about the gimbal (no beeps, etc), I guess I could take off
- the gimbal however has its red led light on constantly (no blinking..)
- the gimbal is limb as if it is turned off (you can move it by hand, no resistance, no gimbal dance), however the motors do get hot somewhat.
- I can connect with the vision app, it even opens the camera blinds, however, the picture stays black and it also does not display any other information (like battery status.. etc)

I don't know what next steps I should try, I mean I can just start over blindly and hope for the best, however it was a real pain to replace and I'd rather not if possible?

Thoughts I came up with myself:
- could this relate to the gimbal<-> phantom connection, is it possible that one of the three cables is not inserted correctly?
-should I try to reinstall the camera firmware?

I'm a bit at a loss here and input of stuff I should try first, before dismantling again would be appreciated!

Best and TIA!

Here is a screenshot from the vision+ app, strangely it doesn't complain or anything, it just isn't relly doing anyhthing

Attachments

• 20151006031915.jpg
    20151006031915.jpg
    49.4 KB · Views: 392
Since you're not getting any telemetry info (battery charge, satellites, etc), I would guess that the gimbal main circuit board (the one in the top metal box on the gimbal) is damaged, or one or more of the gray wires going to the gimbal is damaged or the clip is not firmly in place. Even if the ribbon cable was shot, you should still get telemetry data unless there's no power to your gimbal main circuit board card.

You can check to see if the board is faulty by disconnecting one ribbon cable and plugging it into the CAM port on the main circuit board. My mind is fuzzy this morning, so I can't remember which one. Maybe someone else will chime in.

Since you're not getting any telemetry info (battery charge, satellites, etc), I would guess that the gimbal main circuit board (the one in the top metal box on the gimbal) is damaged, or one or more of the gray wires going to the gimbal is damaged or the clip is not firmly in place. Even if the ribbon cable was shot, you should still get telemetry data unless there's no power to your gimbal main circuit board card.

You can check to see if the board is faulty by disconnecting one ribbon cable and plugging it into the CAM port on the main circuit board. My mind is fuzzy this morning, so I can't remember which one. Maybe someone else will chime in.

I'll chime in...
Open her up..
Look at the wifi module (tin box). On the opposite end of the twin antenna plugs is the grey cable. Leave it plugged in and follow to the other end. Take this end and plug it into the CAM port (remove the existing cable). This will now power on the wifi module and give you telemetry (works with ANDROID only). As stated, telemetry will prove that the wifi module is working.
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2213815

The camera going limp could be a number of things
bad potentiometer - look for cracks etc.
flex cable not installed correctly - check that all contacts are installed in straight and not on an angle.
dead gimbal board.
stuck ball bearing in the upper arm not allowing it to initiate - rusting bearing case (remove it) and test.

i had EXACTLY this.. it was one of the grey ribbon cables from the bird to the top of the camera. remove them, check the pins are all good and plug them back in.... fixed mind.

Hi Guys,

thank you all for your help!
I worked some more on it and it seems that the ribbon cable (at the base board) wasn't attached correctly, after fiddling with it I finally got into another state. Unfortunately it still has errors.

Now I have the Gimbal beep-beep-beep sequence (3 beeps) when powering up, and the front gimbal led still stays red.
I tried to reseat the other ends of the ribbon cable (motors and camera board) however I cannot get rid of the beep sequence (leaving out one of the motors changes the sequence to only two beeps).

Now I am again at my wits end?
It is possible that I damaged the cable (I bent it about 90 degrees at the base when inserting the first time)? Should I just bite the bullet and order yet another ribbon cable to see whether that is the issue?
Any other things I could try? (Phantom Hard Reset,.. anything else?)
Anything I can do to give you more information?

Best and appreciate your help, I'm really down because of this but can't afford to just buy another gimbal

You could get a new ribbon cable, if for no other reason than to know it's not the issue. I've bought them on Ebay new for $12. (I remember when they were $50).

As for the LED staying red, check to see if the little button on the bottom of the gimbal top box is stuck in the up position. I had that happen to me the other day.

If it's not the button, then some part of the circuit is interrupted.

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic