Replaced all four Motors and Esc -- Unit still not working

Reaction score
Hello! My name is Matt and I made the mistake of trying to take my prop guards off and put the long screws back into the unit, which messed up all four motors. As I have crashed the unit before and had to send it to DJI for fixing, I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when the air was total silliness this time and didn't even result from flying :(.

I decided to order the 2312 motors and re-solder the wires together but unfortunately that didn't do the trick in the same problem still was there. So for the next step I decided to order for new ESC 2.0's for my unit and though I am an amateur solderer, after a long days process, I was satisfied that I had correctly replace the ESC and the motors.

Here is a video of the problem:

Unfortunately the motors still are not working and now I am just at a loss for what I should do. Has anyone else experienced this and have an idea of what I should do next? Any advice would be much appreciated!

Hello! My name is Matt and I made the mistake of trying to take my prop guards off and put the long screws back into the unit, which messed up all four motors. As I have crashed the unit before and had to send it to DJI for fixing, I'm sure you can imagine my frustration when the air was total silliness this time and didn't even result from flying :(.

I decided to order the 2312 motors and re-solder the wires together but unfortunately that didn't do the trick in the same problem still was there. So for the next step I decided to order for new ESC 2.0's for my unit and though I am an amateur solderer, after a long days process, I was satisfied that I had correctly replace the ESC and the motors.

Unfortunately the motors still are not working and now I am just at a loss for what I should do. Has anyone else experienced this and have an idea of what I should do next? Any advice would be much appreciated!

When you switched the 2312 motors you should have changed the ESC module to v2.1 not V2.0. Check the ESC box and invoice again to make sure if the 4 you ordered are in deed v2.0. Did you use heat shrink tubing on those motor wires.

Hey Jason thanks for the reply.

Oh nooooo.. When you replied I immediately thought I goofed on this and didn't buy the right one.

However when I checked my order, it looks like it was suppose to be 2.1 (but they say that the picture is wrong as it says 2.0). Strange.

I didn't use heat shrink tubing, just electrical tape also.

When you switched the 2312 motors you should have changed the ESC module to v2.1 not V2.0. Check the ESC box and invoice again to make sure if the 4 you ordered are in deed v2.0. Did you use heat shrink tubing on those motor wires.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    2.7 MB · Views: 543
Hey Jason thanks for the reply.

Oh nooooo.. When you replied I immediately thought I goofed on this and didn't buy the right one.

However when I checked my order, it looks like it was suppose to be 2.1 (but they say that the picture is wrong as it says 2.0). Strange.

I didn't use heat shrink tubing, just electrical tape also.

Sorry but I do not trust Amazon. Look either on the shipping boxes or the ESC boards themselves if they are v2.1 they will be marked on the boards or tagges.

Since the quality of your cell phone is poor it is difficult to read the version off the ESC box. It would also help if you held the phone horizontal instead of vertical

Since the quality of your cell phone is poor it is difficult to read the version off the ESC box. It would also help if you held the phone horizontal instead of vertical
On the box, it does say 2.0.

I didn't remember that this was the wrong one when I received the product. I have just reached out to the seller. Do you know of any other possibilities that this issue might be?

On the box, it does say 2.0.

I didn't remember that this was the wrong one when I received the product. I have just reached out to the seller. Do you know of any other possibilities that this issue might be?

Well you've already seen the results when you turned the motors on. The v2.0 ESC modules do not support those motors period. Now you cannot return those for the correct ones. On the original P2 with the 2212 motors you could use one or two of the v2.1 with v2.0 without any problems but that isn't so with the 2312 motors as all 4 have to be v2.1.

Well you've already seen the results when you turned the motors on. The v2.0 ESC modules do not support those motors period. Now you cannot return those for the correct ones. On the original P2 with the 2212 motors you could use one or two of the v2.1 with v2.0 without any problems but that isn't so with the 2312 motors as all 4 have to be v2.1.

Hello,
I have looked on my actual unit and found that the ESC's are actually the 2.1, even though the box says 2.0... Do you know if the motor cables are different from the 2312 motors and the older ones? I did find it odd that the 2312 motor cable was a thin copper color while the older wire from the old motor looks to be larger and silver. I soldered them together but could this be an issue?

Hello,
I have looked on my actual unit and found that the ESC's are actually the 2.1, even though the box says 2.0... Do you know if the motor cables are different from the 2312 motors and the older ones? I did find it odd that the 2312 motor cable was a thin copper color while the older wire from the old motor looks to be larger and silver. I soldered them together but could this be an issue?

From what you saying you installed a 2312 motor while the other three are 2212 motor. If this is correct then it is an issue. You cannot mix these motors an all four have to be the same. If you wish to use 2312 motors all four ESC modules have to be v2.1.
Am I making myself clear on this point??

I just bought some 22 gauge copper wire to match the 2312 motors. It looks like there was 18 gauge wire on their
From what you saying you installed a 2312 motor while the other three are 2212 motor. If this is correct then it is an issue. You cannot mix these motors an all four have to be the same. If you wish to use 2312 motors all four ESC modules have to be v2.1.
Am I making myself clear on this point??
Hey Jason,

I actually replaced all 4 motors and all 4 ESC are 2.1. I brought it to a friend that does electrical work, he seems to think it is a power supply issue. I was wondering if the wiring might be to blame.

I just bought some 22 gauge copper wire to match the 2312 motors. It looks like there was 18 gauge wire on their

Hey Jason,

I actually replaced all 4 motors and all 4 ESC are 2.1. I brought it to a friend that does electrical work, he seems to think it is a power supply issue. I was wondering if the wiring might be to blame.

Whi did you buy those ECS modules from? Personally I would suspect those modules. When I receive a replacement the box was marked v2.1 not v2.0. Why did you cut the motor wires to being with then turn around and replace the boards seems you made a lot of work for yourself.

In this photo cw motor has V2.1 ESC module while ccw has a v2.0 and all four motors are 2212 original stock. No the electrolytic capacitor has a yellow ike mark while all of the other capacitors are black ike mark.and the version of the board is right across the board in front of the white screw post If you would take a closeup photo with you cell phone in the horizontal position not the vertical so I can see the markings. I Do feel you have the wrong boards.

IMG_1549.jpg

Whi did you buy those ECS modules from? Personally I would suspect those modules. When I receive a replacement the box was marked v2.1 not v2.0. Why did you cut the motor wires to being with then turn around and replace the boards seems you made a lot of work for yourself.

In this photo cw motor has V2.1 ESC module while ccw has a v2.0 and all four motors are 2212 original stock. No the electrolytic capacitor has a yellow ike mark while all of the other capacitors are black ike mark.and the version of the board is right across the board in front of the white screw post If you would take a closeup photo with you cell phone in the horizontal position not the vertical so I can see the markings. I Do feel you have the wrong boards.

View attachment 54870

I bought the ESC from Camrise... I found this video with the mismarked box problem:

I am currently redoing the wiring for the motors, putting in the 22 gauge wiring that matches what came with the motors.

Attached are some photos of my unit. Where did you get the picture you sent? It is concerning me because I have the motors aligned with the CW in the bottom right and top left while the ccw are bottom left and top right. This picture looks like its arranged differently. Am i crazy or did I put the motors in the wrong alignment?

Attachments

• IMG_4060.JPG
    IMG_4060.JPG
    541.7 KB · Views: 490
  • IMG_4061.JPG
    IMG_4061.JPG
    477.6 KB · Views: 415
  • IMG_4062.JPG
    IMG_4062.JPG
    537.5 KB · Views: 397
I bought the ESC from Camrise... I found this video with the mismarked box problem:

I am currently redoing the wiring for the motors, putting in the 22 gauge wiring that matches what came with the motors.

Attached are some photos of my unit. Where did you get the picture you sent? It is concerning me because I have the motors aligned with the CW in the bottom right and top left while the ccw are bottom left and top right. This picture looks like its arranged differently. Am i crazy or did I put the motors in the wrong alignment?

I'd be concerned too. With battery compartment facing you the rear ccw is to the right and the front to the left. It pays to take photos of component layout before you start a project os mistakes are not made. One thing that is coming from all of this is that you are learning how to solder.but you sure have made allot of work for yourself.

To answer your question about the photo It was of my P2. There are countless times when I have opened mine and taken photos to answer someone else's question so now I have a large library of photos.

I'd be concerned too. With battery compartment facing you the rear ccw is to the right and the front to the left. It pays to take photos of component layout before you start a project os mistakes are not made. One thing that is coming from all of this is that you are learning how to solder.but you sure have made allot of work for yourself.

To answer your question about the photo It was of my P2. There are countless times when I have opened mine and taken photos to answer someone else's question so now I have a large library of photos.

Here's a schematic of mine. I wrote down the diagram when i started this process and have looked at many others online, it seems to be right. The way that it is acting does kinda seem like the wrong motors are on, however. I just finished putting the 22 gauge cables on and I'm going to see if this works now.

Attachments

• drone diagram.jpg
    drone diagram.jpg
    5 MB · Views: 477
Here's a schematic of mine. I wrote down the diagram when i started this process and have looked at many others online, it seems to be right. The way that it is acting does kinda seem like the wrong motors are on, however. I just finished putting the 22 gauge cables on and I'm going to see if this works now.

CCW is the direction the self tightening props go on and the actual rotation of the motor is CW. Does that make sense? Well is ti working or not

CCW is the direction the self tightening props go on and the actual rotation of the motor is CW. Does that make sense? Well is ti working or not
haha ok.... Thank god! So now (of course), there seems to be another problem. The unit isn't making its typical sound on startup, though the lights are on and everything. Motors won't turn on either. *deep sigh* This is killing me lol.

I did just update the controller and the unit... That may have something to do with it.

haha ok.... Thank god! So now (of course), there seems to be another problem. The unit isn't making its typical sound on startup, though the lights are on and everything. Motors won't turn on either. *deep sigh* This is killing me lol.

I did just update the controller and the unit... That may have something to do with it.

Make sure the battery is completely seated and that the GPS is plugged in. There are two spring loaded info pin under the battery terminals if one or both do not make contact with the copper pads on the battery the motors will not turn on.

Well did you find the problem.

Well did you find the problem.
I touched up some of my wire to wire connections with solder (I had just braided them before) and the unit turns on correctly now. Unfortunately, the same problem is still there.

Here is an updated video link (still horizontal, but HD lol).

I touched up some of my wire to wire connections with solder (I had just braided them before) and the unit turns on correctly now. Unfortunately, the same problem is still there.

Here is an updated video link (still horizontal, but HD lol).

These questions are important.
1) Did you install the new motors with the old ESC boards in place or order new ESC's and motors at the same time?
2) There is a single plug in the naza mod facing the front of the P2 have you removed that at any time?

If you ordered and replaced motors/ESC all at the same time and didn't remove the plug from naza module then you may have damaged either the main boards CPU or the naza or even both as both provide control signals to the motor assemblies.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cgarner1