Replaced all 4 motors on P2 - not working

Reaction score
dji_motor.2010
Hello, I have a Phantom 2 Vision. One of the motors started stuttering so I ordered 4 new 2312 motors. I checked that I have the v2.1 ESC boards. I assumed it would be a simple replacement. I replaced each one individually, checking that wires were correct and CW and CCW were in the correct location.

In testing after the replacement, 2 of the motors "stutter" and the other 2 don't move. Any ideas?

I've swapped the motors diagonally and clockwise by one. Same issue in both cases.

All 4 motors were brand new in sealed packaging from DJI.

Video of the stuttering

DJI_Motor | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

dji_motor.2010
Hello, I have a Phantom 2 Vision. One of the motors started stuttering so I ordered 4 new 2312 motors. I checked that I have the v2.1 ESC boards. I assumed it would be a simple replacement. I replaced each one individually, checking that wires were correct and CW and CCW were in the correct location.

In testing after the replacement, 2 of the motors "stutter" and the other 2 don't move. Any ideas?

I've swapped the motors diagonally and clockwise by one. Same issue in both cases.

All 4 motors were brand new in sealed packaging from DJI.

Video of the stuttering

DJI_Motor | DJI Phantom Drone Forum

I may be wrong but the P2 vision+ v3 came with 2312 motors/v2.1 ESC modules all other and the v2.0 ESC modules. Order four ESC modules.

Hopefully you didn't splice wires without heatsink tubing as in that photo.

I may be wrong but the P2 vision+ v3 came with 2312 motors/v2.1 ESC modules all other and the v2.0 ESC modules. Order four ESC modules.

Hopefully you didn't splice wires without heatsink tubing as in that photo.

No, I just always make sure everything works before I seal everything up. I just put one of the old motors back in and it worked fine (Video in the link), so yes, looks like ESC boards are needed. However, it's frustrating as the "manual" with the motor shows my 2.1 boards should work with these 2312's.

I thought for sure with my $90 investment in the motors, I'd be back up flying by now. Add in 4 new ESC boards, and more time, I'm now into half of a new Phantom 3 Standard. It's like fixing VCRs back in the old days :) .... just don't do it, buy a new one. :)

No, I just always make sure everything works before I seal everything up. I just put one of the old motors back in and it worked fine (Video in the link), so yes, looks like ESC boards are needed. However, it's frustrating as the "manual" with the motor shows my 2.1 boards should work with these 2312's.

I thought for sure with my $90 investment in the motors, I'd be back up flying by now. Add in 4 new ESC boards, and more time, I'm now into half of a new Phantom 3 Standard. It's like fixing VCRs back in the old days :) .... just don't do it, buy a new one. :)

I would be surprised that those ESC board are mislabeled. I do see a label over another label.

Do you even know what heatshrink tubing is? Really you're just asking for more trouble soldering those wires the way you're doing it. NOT GOOD!!

I would be surprised that those ESC board are mislabeled. I do see a label over another label.

Do you even know what heatshrink tubing is? Really you're just asking for more trouble soldering those wires the way you're doing it. NOT GOOD!!

As I said before, I just tacked it together to make sure it worked. I have heat shrink tube. What's the point of wrapping it all up if I haven't tested it? Your tone came of a little condescending and rude. I realize I'm new here and you might have glanced over all the details in my response.

I'm grasping at straws about the mislabel. I don't understand why they just didn't work.

I swapped back in one of the old 2212's I took out and it worked fine. So that ESC board is fine.

I then put all the motors back in, including the original stuttering motor. I verified that it was still stuttering as before. I then swapped the stuttering motor with it's counterpart. The stutter stayed with the motor, not the ESC board, so definitely a bad motor and not ESC.

As I said before, I just tacked it together to make sure it worked. I have heat shrink tube. What's the point of wrapping it all up if I haven't tested it? Your tone came of a little condescending and rude. I realize I'm new here and you might have glanced over all the details in my response.

I'm grasping at straws about the mislabel. I don't understand why they just didn't work.

I swapped back in one of the old 2212's I took out and it worked fine. So that ESC board is fine.

I then put all the motors back in, including the original stuttering motor. I verified that it was still stuttering as before. I then swapped the stuttering motor with it's counterpart. The stutter stayed with the motor, not the ESC board, so definitely a bad motor and not ESC.

Condescending or not is not my problem remember you came here asking for help. The reason it will not work with the 2312 motors is that four ESC boards have to be v2.1 and it's quite obvious that this isn't the case. There is nothing wrong with the motors just replace all the boards except the one marked v2.1.

Look with earlier versions of the P2's the ESC boards were v2.0 and if by chance one was damage you could mix ESC boars if you were using 2213 motors with 2312 that is no longer the case all have to be v2.1 period.

Condescending or not is not my problem remember you came here asking for help. The reason it will not work with the 2312 motors is that four ESC boards have to be v2.1 and it's quite obvious that this isn't the case. There is nothing wrong with the motors just replace all the boards except the one marked v2.1.

Look with earlier versions of the P2's the ESC boards were v2.0 and if by chance one was damage you could mix ESC boars if you were using 2213 motors with 2312 that is no longer the case all have to be v2.1 period.

They are all marked 2.1. This was a new from factory drone purchased 18 months ago. I also noticed that it appears there's a label on top of a label. I'm going to peel it off and see what it says beneath. This is the first time this bird has been cracked open.

Could someone at DJI have simply slapped new stickers on old parts assuming the likelihood they would have problem round to zero? Given the major FUBAR issues they just had with bricked Range Extenders on all the Phantom 2's, it wouldn't surprise me.

Yes I came here for help ... yes I'm happy to have found this forum ... yes, the DJI Forum is not as helpful as here ... what in any of my original correspondence warranted an ASSUMPTION on your part that I don't know what heat shrink tubing is?

It's common when upgrading firmware to put another revision sticker over the old one.

It's common when upgrading firmware to put another revision sticker over the old one.

Yes but mistakes still happen. If those were truly v2.1 those 2312 motors should have run.

Yes but mistakes still happen. If those were truly v2.1 those 2312 motors should have run.

Here's what was under each sticker .... esc_sticker.jpg esc_sticker_under.jpg ..... the different versions of boards are HARDWARE differences, correct? If it were simply firmware, then you'd just have to update firmware to get 2312's to work, correct?

Here's what was under each sticker .... View attachment 60421 View attachment 60422 ..... the different versions of boards are HARDWARE differences, correct? If it were simply firmware, then you'd just have to update firmware to get 2312's to work, correct?

It has nothing to do with firmware. The problem you are having with those 2312 motors is being cause by the ESC modules themselves. It's quite obvious that they run the 2212's without any problems if all 4 boards are working but not the 2312's simply because those boards are not marked correctly. The factory mislabel those boards and mistakes do happen.

It has nothing to do with firmware. The problem you are having with those 2312 motors is being cause by the ESC modules themselves. It's quite obvious that they run the 2212's without any problems if all 4 boards are working but not the 2312's simply because those boards are not marked correctly. The factory mislabel those boards and mistakes do happen.

Makes sense. Thanks for helping me work through this. I just ordered a 2212 to replace the failed one.

I'll be putting up the 2312's on eBay in a minute. Hopefully others contemplating an upgrade will double check the things I've shown in this thread and avoid the pain I experienced.

Makes sense. Thanks for helping me work through this. I just ordered a 2212 to replace the failed one.

I'll be putting up the 2312's on eBay in a minute. Hopefully others contemplating an upgrade will double check the things I've shown in this thread and avoid the pain I experienced.

Do not be surprised if the motor doesn't solve your problem as it is more likely a bad ESC module. There are only three moving parts in a brushless motor 2 bearings and outer housing (which contains the magnets). Sure bearings could go bad or a motor shaft could be bent in a bad crash but a more common cause that motor will not spin up as the rest is a defective ESC or Naza control unit . I'd go with the ESC board.

Any how good luck and keep us informed of the result.

Any how good luck and keep us informed of the result.

After i verified which of the original motors was stuttering, I swapped the motors diagonally. The stutter stayed with the motor not the ESC board location.

The new motor arrives today or tomorrow. When I replace it, if it still has an issue, I'm declaring witchcraft on this craft and burning it in a fire ! :)

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jody.paugh@fullerandsons.