Repeated, uncontrolled wobbly decents

Reaction score
I have a phantom 2 and I'm able to get full sat lock... take off and get it in the air, shortly thereafter, every single time it then decides to engage in an uncontrolled wobbly decent which crashes every time. Full loss of control during the process as well.

Any ideas on where to start? I've seen to check the battery connection. If that doesn't work, what's next on my list to check/replace?

Thank you for taking a look here. Much appreciated.

NOTE: I had custom, wider landing gear on it, I put the stock back on thinking the compass spacing was off, but that didn't change things.

Hello
What props you using?
( dji or unbranded generic ) ?

Also does it have a gimbal? Or a camera attatched?

Let me know and we can move forward twords a fix!

J Dot
:cool:

Hello
What props you using?
( dji or unbranded generic ) ?

Also does it have a gimbal? Or a camera attatched?

Let me know and we can move forward twords a fix!

J Dot

It does. It has the zenmuse gimbal installed. I've tried unplugging all of the harnesses from the gimbal and trying it that way. Still, not luck. Same action every single time.

Props?

And look CLOSELY at gimbal ANTI-Jello balls, to see if any are cracked, ripped, or broken!

Let me know
J Dot

I need to know if your props are authentic DJI PROPS will be stamped into it by the center nut dji one side , model number other

I need the model number of them ( all 4 ) might need a magnifying glass or something as it is small!

J Dot

Reactions: rameyj
I need to know if your props are authentic DJI PROPS will be stamped into it by the center nut dji one side , model number other

I need the model number of them ( all 4 ) might need a magnifying glass or something as it is small!

J Dot

From my amazon order:

"2 Pairs Genuine DJI Phantom 2 Vision Part #03 Self-Tightening Propeller 9" 9443

Ok,
I'm assuming you have 2212 motors, or are they the new 2312 upgraded ones?

Have you done any Pc work with it?

RC assistant
Pc assistant?

J Dot

2212's. I have connected it to my PC before, but that was a couple of years ago. This thing has been parked for months. Just trying to salvage it if possible. Should I try a software/firmware upgrade? It does have 2212's.

No upgrade needed yet

Here is the list, follow it step by step,
Should return craft back to factory default fresh!
( if there is no other problems )

First
Hook your tx to Pc ( laptop ) via dji cord or data cable ( USB to mini USB )
Open RC ASSISTANT ( not Pc assistant )
Turn on remote ( tx )
Calibrate your Tx here
BOTH sticks
BOTH toggles ( S1/s2 )
& Dial wheel ( X1 ) if avail? Depending on your remote.
( this will take your Tx back to default ( all zeroed out )
( take not you see movement on each stick, toggle and X1 ( lever or dial wheel )

Ok
Turn off remote and unhook USB cable, close RC assistant!

Now hook bird to Pc , open assistant ( phantom assistant ) or wherever your using, I use vision assistant! Turn on remote and bird

Calibrate Tx here again
Both sticks, toggle and dial wheel
( this will calibrate tx to your bird ) so they work together.

Now perform an ADVANCED IMU calibration ( keep bird STABLE, and level ( no wobbling around ) on a wooden table if you can, glass works too )
Once finished
Turn off bird and tx unhook from Pc

Take out side for a fresh compass calibration

Now she should fly perfectly, if not we will move on, let me know?

Could be a bad motor bearing, failing esc? But start above then move onto bigger things!

J Dot

No upgrade needed yet

Here is the list, follow it step by step,
Should return craft back to factory default fresh!
( if there is no other problems )

First
Hook your tx to Pc ( laptop ) via dji cord or data cable ( USB to mini USB )
Open RC ASSISTANT ( not Pc assistant )
Turn on remote ( tx )
Calibrate your Tx here
BOTH sticks
BOTH toggles ( S1/s2 )
& Dial wheel ( X1 ) if avail? Depending on your remote.
( this will take your Tx back to default ( all zeroed out )
( take not you see movement on each stick, toggle and X1 ( lever or dial wheel )

Ok
Turn off remote and unhook USB cable, close RC assistant!

Now hook bird to Pc , open assistant ( phantom assistant ) or wherever your using, I use vision assistant! Turn on remote and bird

Calibrate Tx here again
Both sticks, toggle and dial wheel
( this will calibrate tx to your bird ) so they work together.

Now perform an ADVANCED IMU calibration ( keep bird STABLE, and level ( no wobbling around ) on a wooden table if you can, glass works too )
Once finished
Turn off bird and tx unhook from Pc

Take out side for a fresh compass calibration

Now she should fly perfectly, if not we will move on, let me know?

Could be a bad motor bearing, failing esc? But start above then move onto bigger things!

J Dot
This is great. I'll hit this process up tonight and follow up tomorrow. Thanks a ton J Dot!

Reactions: J Dot
You bet!
Glad to help!
Good luck, keeping fingers crossed for you!

J Dot

What is the battery age?
What are the under arm LED colors or sequences while descending?

At first blush this sounds like low-battery descent inducing VRS.

Reactions: sar104
I am a complete idiot. While running through all of these configs, my TX started beeping low battery at me. lol. P2 battery checks out great despite being my original batt. Also noticed the gopro connector fell off the ribbon during one of these crashes, ordered a new one from amazon prime. Let me check off these items and check back in with you guys. Thanks for the help so far!

Another thing I came across is that the RC software does not detect my TX. Hopefully this is a low battery issue, the same cable does work for the P2.

Thanks guys.

What is the battery age?
What are the under arm LED colors or sequences while descending?

At first blush this sounds like low-battery descent inducing VRS.

That was exactly my thought reading the posts. After an extended period on the shelf, my original P2 exhibited exactly that behavior when I tested it earlier this year. It turned out that 3 of its 4 batteries showed as fully charged but collapsed as soon as there was significant current draw.

I am a complete idiot. While running through all of these configs, my TX started beeping low battery at me. lol. P2 battery checks out great despite being my original batt. Also noticed the gopro connector fell off the ribbon during one of these crashes, ordered a new one from amazon prime. Let me check off these items and check back in with you guys. Thanks for the help so far!

Another thing I came across is that the RC software does not detect my TX. Hopefully this is a low battery issue, the same cable does work for the P2.

Thanks guys.

In order to calibrate X1 and the sticks when the P2 is connected to its software, the remote has to be turned on.

The gimbal has nothing at all to do with a wobbly decent but the batteries you are using might be depending on there age and current levels.

Low controller battery can cause loss of control whether ascending or descending but shouldn't affect overall flight performance when descending. Is that controller a new NDJ6 or the older DJ6? It will be marked on the controller's label.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
wkflysaphan4