REPAIR TIME at DJI

Reaction score
Has anyone experience repairs with DJI? I sent my drone in and they indicated 7-8 weeks. Just wondering if this is typical?

It's typical. Some people have been recently quotes longer times too -- like 10-12 weeks.

8 1/2 weeks for my Phantom 2 V+. I sent it back to DJI LA in the 1st week of of May. Could be worse now.

Tahoe Ed just posted on RC Group that NEW RMA will now be processed in 72 hours?!? They are attempting to fix their slow turnaround time perception.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32568026&postcount=40864

Unfortunately, for those who previously sent in their AC, those will remain in the backlog. (sucks, but I guess DJI figures they've already pissed off these customers, no use trying to expedite.)

Tahoe Ed just posted on RC Group that NEW RMA will now be processed in 72 hours?!? They are attempting to fix their slow turnaround time perception.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showpost.php?p=32568026&postcount=40864

Unfortunately, for those who previously sent in their AC, those will remain in the backlog. (sucks, but I guess DJI figures they've already pissed off these customers, no use trying to expedite.)

That doesn't help me but it's a good development nonetheless. When I sent mine in the second time, I got what they called an "Escalated RMA" but I have no idea what that means except that I didn't have to pay to ship it back.

The other thing I want to note is that "RMA will be processed in 72 hours" may not mean repairs in 72 hours! Here's my experience with DJI for service:

1. Call or email for an RMA number. Once you get that, follow the directions to send it back.
2. DJI in Torrance/LA receives your unit. (This usually happens in a few days in the continental US).
3. DJI checks your unit into the queue.
4. DJI diagnose, repairs and tests your unit.
5. DJI sends it back to you.

Here's my experience the two times I've gone through the process. The first time it took 3 weeks to get checked into the queue... the repair took about 5 weeks after that for a total turn around time of 8 weeks.

The second time it took 5 days to get checked into the queue... definitely an improvement. It's still in the queue for repairs as far as I know. That was on August 3rd that I sent it in, received on August 5th and on August 11th I got into the queue. That 5 days is pretty close to the 72 hours they're trying to hit.

So here's my conclusion... if it's 72 hours to process, what does process mean? To get checked into the queue?

That doesn't help me but it's a good development nonetheless. When I sent mine in the second time, I got what they called an "Escalated RMA" but I have no idea what that means except that I didn't have to pay to ship it back.

The other thing I want to note is that "RMA will be processed in 72 hours" may not mean repairs in 72 hours! Here's my experience with DJI for service:

1. Call or email for an RMA number. Once you get that, follow the directions to send it back.
2. DJI in Torrance/LA receives your unit. (This usually happens in a few days in the continental US).
3. DJI checks your unit into the queue.
4. DJI diagnose, repairs and tests your unit.
5. DJI sends it back to you.

Here's my experience the two times I've gone through the process. The first time it took 3 weeks to get checked into the queue... the repair took about 5 weeks after that for a total turn around time of 8 weeks.

The second time it took 5 days to get checked into the queue... definitely an improvement. It's still in the queue for repairs as far as I know. That was on August 3rd that I sent it in, received on August 5th and on August 11th I got into the queue. That 5 days is pretty close to the 72 hours they're trying to hit.

So here's my conclusion... if it's 72 hours to process, what does process mean? To get checked into the queue?

good question. the exact wording was " turn around new RMA's in 72 hours"

Sent mine out for repairs to DJI North America in mid July. It was checked in on July 31st and I just got an email today stating:
  • Your Phantom has been repaired, updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.
The original repair time stated when it was checked in was 5-6 weeks from check-in. So they're at the lower end of their estimated repair time.

Sent mine out for repairs to DJI North America in mid July. It was checked in on July 31st and I just got an email today stating:
  • Your Phantom has been repaired, updated, test flown, and is fully functional. You should receive a tracking number in a separate email within 1-2 business days.
The original repair time stated when it was checked in was 5-6 weeks from check-in. So they're at the lower end of their estimated repair time.

That's great news! I just reached out to them yesterday and was pleasantly surprised that I heard new options on the main menu and was able to speak to Nick about my RMA in under a minute. He was super polite and apologetic in terms of DJI trying to improve their customer service. He still didn't have an update for me on my particular RMA but said he would try to get the technician to update me via email. Some additional details that I learned from the call that was positive:

1. Escalated RMAs will now have a 3.5 weeks turn around for repairs. That's not just for getting processed or checked in but back in customers hands. They're trying to get that with all of the backlog but there's a concrete goal they're trying for.
2. New phone option to speak to a live person quickly if you have a repair in the system.
3. They're in the process of switching from the Zendesk repair tracking system to a newer one so for now people should keep an eye on their emails rather than on Zendesk.

I think these are positive developments if they can keep close to their own goals. I guess they're hearing how they have to improve their Customer Service and are at least attempting to improve. The proof will definitely be in the pudding but I have to give them kudos and acknowledgment for trying to address it.

I'll keep you all posted on my particular case but wanted to relay my very pleasant recent contact with them.

Reactions: witold
Yep, just like that. But because in this forum we are not allowed to complain. I'll say it's a .....dare I say.....SPLENDID...... 8-10 week experience. Noted to be a wonderful 30 minute wait on the phone. Followed by a delightful two week check in process. One you have obtained a glorious place in line. You will be treated to an awesome vacation from your drone for the rest of the summer. Maybe into the fall. Then, after an enchanting 6 week repair time, the drone will undergo a very detailed .......but rigorous .........testing for an additional two weeks.

It's quite lovely. Thank you.

Umm umm, quite lovely. What did u have fixed?
Bottom cover kit: $8.00
Top cover kit: $5.00
Left landing gear kit: $4.00
Hd camera/gimble assembly: $409.00
1 hr of repair time at $65 per hour: $65.00
Total: $491.00

CSC from over 100ft. Long story.....

I think I was quite lucky with DJI. I sent mine back to get repaired after I crashed it. It took 5 days for it to arrive in Hong Kong from Australia. After a week DJI said they would repair it for free. It took them 3 days to repair it and test it and i got it back in 6 days with a new battery and 2 new sets of props. It took exactly 3 weeks from me sending it to getting it back. I thought that this was a very quick repair. My drone is back up in the sky's again [emoji2]

Reactions: QuikSilver15
Is there anyone else certified to work on Dji products that can help us out? Dji customer service is the absolute worst!

I called on Thurs, Aug 27 to file a complaint. Was given an RMA and pre-paid shipping label. Sent it off Fri evening.
On Tues, DJI said the unit was checked in for repair. I didn't get an ETA, not even on the generic email from them. Fingers crossed its sooner than the 10-weeks I was expecting.

Less than two months ago DJI LA moved from a 15k sq foot facility into a beautiful 150,000 sqft facility. I expect over the next six months repair times will decrease exponentially

Last edited:

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Pauos31