Repair saga after crash: Questions

Reaction score
Hi,

after a big fall from 50ft I had to install a new shell. A motor was spinning oddly in the startup sequence (but looked fine after that) so I replaced that. Turns out it was really the ESC that had gotten damaged. So I replaced that with a used ESC from a friend. It was all good then but I noticed he had given me a red ESC instead of a green ESC. So I ordered a replacement ESC that I soldered in yesterday.

Now that motor doesn't spin. This is what happens.

During 'boot' the ESC LED lights up as it should then turns off (as it should). Doing the startup sequence, all ESC would light up and their motor would spin but the new ESC didn't light up and its motor didn't spin. I checked the soldering points, improving some of them but I couldn't get it working.

Does anybody have an idea of what could be wrong? Could the brand new replacement ESC be an issue? Could I have fried a motor by soldering? I welcome any idea, diagnostic method, I am stomped and a little bit upset.

Erik

If I understand you correctly you still have a ESC that works but is the wrong color. I would re install that one and if it works then I would ship the new ESC back. I'm new to this and I'm waiting on a new motor and ESC to repair mine after a prop came off at 150 feet and it crashed.

I made some attempts to diagnose but the results leave me puzzled.

1) I de-soldered the ESC from the Phantom power board and tested the ESC/Motor combination with a Servo/ESC tester and my 3S battery. The ESC/Motor work perfectly and the motor spins as it should when the ESC receives the signal from the tester and tells the motor to spin. Moreover it seems to trigger at a similar point as another of my working Phantom ESC I tried with the same setup

So looking at this, I thought the culprit might be the power source for the ESC (bad solder job on my end or bad power board)

2) With the power source still directly connected to my battery, I plugged the ESC PWM plug to the Naza (4th pin). I powered the Phantom and went through the startup sequence. That ESC/Motor still doesn't spin.

Thinking that the culprit might be the Naza or the plug #4 on the Naza, I inverted 3 & 4. That one ESC/motor (connected to #3) still didn't spin but the motor now connected to 4 did so it's not the Naza/connector.

So at this point, I've verified that the Motor/ESC work. That pin #4 on the Naza works. But this ESC/Motor on this Phantom for some reason doesn't work, no matter what Pin it's connected to.

I am at a loss. I have verified each component separately but connected together they don't work. I just can't get this working ESC/Motor to spin when connected to any pin on this Naza.

I welcome any thought, help, ways to diagnose further.

Adding some information: this only affect the arm sequence. That motor doesn't spin then. But when I start applying throttle, all four motors spin. When I lower the throttle they seem to all stop at the same time. Any idea?

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mactechnic