Removing landing skids.

ado

Reaction score
If i choose to remove the landing skids and camera, where do i put the compass then? Is it ok to just tape it on the underside of the phantom?

Pretty sure it needs to be on a vertical surface. You could try mounting it on one of the arms. Not sure how it would do with the electro magnetic interference from the motors and ESCs though.

Stick it on an antenna mast on top of the phantom like the external NAZA GPS antenna thing.

Ye sticking it to one of the arms, would most likely interfer with the compass. What if i just stick it on the side of the battery holder in the same position as it is on the landing skid. In that way im pretty much just put it in a higher postition.

By the battery door is probably a bad idea. You've got the wires from the battery right there. All the current the motors draw run through those wires and will surely cause you problems. I think your best bet would be the antenna mast on top idea. You'd have to go dead smack in the middle of the shell though to avoid it getting hit by the props. But now you're dealing with the GPS board underneath.

I'm thinking that there's a reason DJI put it underneath and away from the motors and all other electrical stuff for a reason. I'm sure if it worked correctly, they would have stuck it inside the shell to keep the aesthetics as pleasing as possible. But they didn't.

So I don't know. Give a few configurations a try and see which one works. I think a phantom without stuff dangling off the bottom would be pretty cool and streamlined.

Ok, It is a Phantom 2 vision+ btw. On the side where the compass is, if i would just lift the compass up to where the battery holder is and stick it there, then it would be furthest away from wires ect. That spot on the inside is basicly just plastic. But still it could interfer, as you say, Dji didnt put it on the bottom for no reason.

I have seen some videos where people fly a phantom without the landing skids. So it must work somehow :D

ado said:
No one have any knowledge about this?

what are you trying to accomplish by removing the legs and the camera? I suppose you could create some sort of short pole on top of the Phantom and attach it to that.... but not understanding what you're trying to ultimately accomplish with this task makes it difficult to provide suggestions.

Ok, I have seen some videos where people fly phantoms with no landing gear, so it works, just not sure where they put their compass. I want to remove legs and camera to decrease weight, so i can do more acrobatic moves and stunts.

My idea was to have a take off cradle that stays on the ground. It would need some sort of fixture for hand catching and the compass. I am not bothered by the landing gear thou. I shoot in medium and fly smooth so I rarely have the landing gear in my shots.

WPSPETE said:
My idea was to have a take off cradle that stays on the ground. It would need some sort of fixture for hand catching and the compass. I am not bothered by the landing gear thou. I shoot in medium and fly smooth so I rarely have the landing gear in my shots.
My idead was to build some short landing gear so i can land and take off easy, without the camera.

If you wanna fly without landing gear but still use camera, just place the phantom on a bucket, with camera in it and the arms on the top of the bucket. But ye compass is still a problem.

THe Phantoms you see without landing gear also have a GPS/Compass puck combo. It's puck design as used in NAZA V2 flight control kit as seen on many 450 & 550s. With the combo you don't have seperate compass out on a leg and can stash it in the lid.

Attachments

• th.jpeg
    th.jpeg
    7.3 KB · Views: 375
EMCSQUAR said:
THe Phantoms you see without landing gear also have a GPS/Compass puck combo. It's puck design as used in NAZA V2 flight control kit as seen on many 450 & 550s. With the combo you don't have seperate compass out on a leg and can stash it in the lid.

I see, to bad DJI didnt simply put that puck in, so theres no compass visible on the leg.
Could you provide me with a link to that puck? Thanks!

Recent Posts

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shimuafeni fredrik