Remove vision positioning system?

Reaction score
I do not fly inside and never have it turned on.... has anyone removed it? Do you think it might decrease power consumption if removed?

Any reason to keep it on the 'copter.... just added weight and suspect battery drain?

Thoughts?

Whenever it comes up, we hear that the Lightbridge module is also in the VPS module. I don't know with certainty myself, but I trust the experts who have chimed in about it in the past.

EDIT: It has been determined that the lightbridge board is located under the VPS module, not inside the VPS module.

Last edited:
The Lightbridge circuit board is concealed beneath the Vision module so if you remove the VPS you will have an exposed circuit board that could be damaged in handling. It would take away from the Phantom's sleek appearance. The VPS is small & light & likely uses very little power, but you can turn it off completely in the app.

I do not fly inside and never have it turned on.... has anyone removed it? Do you think it might decrease power consumption if removed?

Any reason to keep it on the 'copter.... just added weight and suspect battery drain?

Thoughts?

Reactions: dexter82
The Lightbridge circuit board is concealed beneath the Vision module so if you remove the VPS you will have an exposed circuit board that could be damaged in handling. It would take away from the Phantom's sleek appearance. The VPS is small & light & likely uses very little power, but you can turn it off completely in the app.

Yes, I've turned it off on the app, good info, thx

SO, OK now you 3D printer parts people.... how about a cover for the lightbridge circuit board after sensor removal??! :)

I removed the Vision Position sensor board completely and made a
cover for it with my 3d printer.

The circuit board only without the cover weighed in at .5 oz so not much of a savings.

I did notice a lot less heat being generated without the VP board however.
Even though its turned off in the go app means they are not removing power to it.

The power saving may be a bigger factor than the weight.

I see other uses for this space.
I would like to add a tracker case or a go pro mount to this cover in the future.

2016-02-15 13.32.38.jpg

Reactions: Oso

The circuit board only without the cover weighed in at .5 oz so not much of a savings.

Even though its turned off in the go app means they are not removing power to it.

I would like to add a tracker case or a go pro mount to this cover in the future.

View attachment 43909
I'll bet you get people wanting to buy this in assorted styles. With and without a tracker case, etc.

With the cover how much weight is actually saved. GoPro mount? Ok... Why

With the cover how much weight is actually saved. GoPro mount? Ok... Why

My printed cover weighs .3 oz, same as stock cover.
So you just save the weight of the circuit board, .5 oz and the power saving, extra minute?? maybe, not tested LOL

The Go Pro was just a thought, maybe better video, take video front and rear at same time?

Important note:
When you are going to update the firmware of the DJI Aircraft, please reconnect the VPS module first before the updating.

Yup - that is where the issue would be if you did not do that - and who needs that hassle!

Why can't you just put tape over the sensors since it is only active on the a minimum spec of 0.3m off the ground! Doubtful it would react to just covering it up without removing it.

Nose is lighter than the tail for P3. Why would you make it further lighter by removing the VPS. At the most, just disconnect the power to it.

Reactions: Quest-So
Nose is lighter than the tail for P3. Why would you make it further lighter by removing the VPS. At the most, just disconnect the power to it.

Battery end is .5 oz heavier than nose.

Now I am almost perfectly balanced.

Battery end is .5 oz heavier than nose.

Now I am almost perfectly balanced.
Yes you may be right. I checked it was 1oz heavier. How did you balance it?

View attachment 43909

I have removed the VPS module (only the board with sensors) and re-installed the original ultra-light plastic cover. The plastic cover has fins to cool down lighbridge module during flight. Why to bother make any kind of custom cover?

Dji Phantom 3: Torn Down Before Taking Off! First Ever Phantom 3 Live Anatomy! - MakeTheOne

dji_phantom_3_stripped_20.jpg

Last edited:
I have removed the VPS module (only the board with sensors) and re-installed the original ultra-light plastic cover. The plastic cover has fins to cool down lighbridge module during flight. Why to bother make any kind of custom cover?

Dji Phantom 3: Torn Down Before Taking Off! First Ever Phantom 3 Live Anatomy! - MakeTheOne

dji_phantom_3_stripped_20.jpg

In the end after realizing this board had to be installed for the firmware to take I put it back in.
Was not worth the hassle of taking it on and off and in the end no real benefit from having it removed.

If not for the firmware would have left it off.

Was not worth the hassle of taking it on and off and in the end no real benefit from having it removed.

P3 has the Lightbridge module under the VPS board, and gets extremely hot, especially if the bird is kept stationary and left powered on.
Moreover, the cooling fan of the Lightbridge module directs hot flow directly in the battery compartment.

In hot summer days, here in Greece, (35-40 degrees Celsius), battery runs at about 45 degrees, even before take off. :eek:

Removing the VPS module helps a bit, but I will also try to put some kind of spacers underneath the lightbridge module and fan, in order to prevent hot air entering battery compartment. Major concerns about adequate cable lengths (connecting the lightbridge module to other boards / antennas)

"Image transmission generates a huge amount of heat, so the cooling requires an alloy panel and a mini fan, but once plugged in it still gets really hot to the touch. I am not sure about the connection between the fan and battery compartment, which means hot wind blows on the battery, that can’t be right. But come to think of it, in winter it would be kind of nice to keep the battery warm."

dji_phantom_3_stripped_24.jpg

dji_phantom_3_stripped_19.jpg

Last edited:
I found my p4 on the side of the road early spring. Through months if research, I was able to get a rc for it and a battery charger. Than I crashed it. Got hung up in low hanging tree branches. As I was replacing the landing gear, discovered that my front vision sensors were void of their ribbon cables. So, I fly without them, just more carefully.

Important note:
When you are going to update the firmware of the DJI Aircraft, please reconnect the VPS module first before the updating.

Yup - that is where the issue would be if you did not do that - and who needs that hassle!

Hello everyone,
Warming up an old thread.. What happens if I try to update without VPS module?

My VPS module on Phantom 3 4k is dead, disconnected it to reduce smoke :oops: and to prevent fuses on main board from blowing again.
So I need to buy a new VPS before I try to update the aircraft and/or remote?

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20