Remove camera for first flight

Reaction score
Hi,

Just wondering how easy it it to remove the camera on the vision 2+ for my first flights.

Can I just leave the cables from the camera loose under the phantom and how do I remove the antidrop pins

Xplizit said:
Hi,

Just wondering how easy it it to remove the camera on the vision 2+ for my first flights.

Can I just leave the cables from the camera loose under the phantom and how do I remove the antidrop pins

Yes, you can leave them loose. Be careful disconnecting them. They're fragile, and if you damage a connector, you're screwed.

The anti-drop pins have to be cut. You have one replacement set in your kit. Or you can use some loosely-connected zip ties.

You can remove the camera - but why would you want to???
Losing the camera means you also lose your telemetry as well as FPV.
You are giving up some of the features that help you to fly the P2V+.
Things like height, speed, satellite data, battery level and radar display to show where your Phantom is.
Much better to learn with caution in a clear, open area, away from trees and buildings than to cripple your bird.
The Phantom is much easier to fly than you imagine and your first flights would be easier and safer with the camera on.

It's a valid point...best to learn all the systems from the get-go. I don't particularly advocate it, but the theory, I'm told, behind removing the camera is taking that expensive and fragile component out of the loop in the learning stage. IMHO, good to learn line-of-sight control for the first few flights before attempting flying while also paying attention to the FPV and telemetry data. I didn't do it that way myself, but I can see the rationale for the recommendation. I might have removed the camera if it wasn't such a PITA.

The reason folks are saying remove the camera is for the "New" pilots who have never flown before. These folks are going to crash!! And it will be a very expense crash, this is how and why you read so many Phantom camera's are broken. Removing the camera until you have improved your flying skills is the reason, it would be great if you could learn to fly on a simulator first then take the bird out without the camera. Keep in mind the cost to replace the camera is $675 and the lost of flying time is priceless!!!

I know why people think they are offering good advice - but I still think it is misguided - just like saying people are going to crash like it's inevitable. Crashing is not inevitable if you have proper respect for the Phantom and learn in an area without trees, buildings or obstacles. If you get too adventurous before you properly understand what can go wrong and how to make sure they don't - then you increase the risk of crashing.

Recent Posts

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cokersean20